“Fantastic place” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: “Bang up to date with a stylish modern interior andfriendly welcome“ - Olive Magazine“Superior Address” – The Sunday Telegraph"Worthy ambassador for Staffordshire produce cooked with aplomb" - Good Food Guide 2011
“Fantastic place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I don't really want to do this as more people will go and this hidden gem will become public knowledge and will struggle to book in future but I feel I must shout loudly about this restaurant. This was our second visit and it out did the first which was superb. This restaurant prides itself on its locally sourced ingredients and they make all the difference. Some of the menu items sound a bit strange but I advise you to trust the chefs abilities to fuse some unusual flavours together. Very attentive front of house staff nothing is too much trouble. In short fantastic food, wine, surroundings and atmosphere. If you go for a meal the homemade bread and butter pudding doesn't sound exotic but it is to die for

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Derby, United Kingdom
“Overall, a very good experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Went here with my husband for our valentine’s meal. It was a set menu, but thankfully they hadn’t increased the prices (like some restaurants do), just because it was valentine’s day. The set menu was around £33 each and you got three courses, amuse-bouche and coffee and chocolates.

Firstly, it was a bit of a bizarre location and the place was empty when we arrived for our 7.30pm booking. The place did fill up later on. Surroundings were nothing fancy… It is decorated in a clean modern style and has a very relaxed atmosphere.

Both the food quality and service were excellent. All the dishes were good, but one dish that stood out was the wild mushroom risotto with a carrot and cream cheese roulade and toasted pine nuts. I went for this out of curiosity and wasn’t disappointed.

I think we’ll definitely be returning to see what the dinner and lunch menus have to offer.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wales
“A nice surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Nice place to eat, but not to clearly marked. Mind you it was sleeting when we arrived, so perhaps we could not see the sign clearly. Friendly welcome, not cluttered tables and a nice lay out. A good balanced menu to choose from. Wine list small but nice selection and not overpriced for the average bottle of wine. Price of food a tad pricey for the quantity that you get, but the food arrived fresh and well presented. Dont go there is you are hungry and expecting large portions, or if you want your food in a hurry, as with all good resturants the food is not pre cooked, and the chef does take care to cook the food to your requirements .

Visited February 2013
East Staffs.
“Friendly service and fantastic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I visited on a Friday night and found a lovely atmosphere in the restaurant. It is fairly small, maybe 50 covers, but it was 95% full on the night we were there which made for a good ambience.

We were served by three different people during the meal and each were courteous but friendly which allowed us to feel relaxed during the meal. Ordering was easy and an appropriate time was left between each course, which I find is not always the case in restaurants these days. We were made to feel welcome and weren't made to feel as if we were being rushed in any way which always adds to the experience.

The food was superb - Dan the Chef is obviously a talented man! Modern British is the style of the cuisine and there is a good range to choose from. We both had a starter and main course each and shared a cheese board to finish. I always think the sign of good food is when the portion sizes are not overly large but you aren't left feeling hungry afterwards, and this was certainly the case here. Everything was cooked beautifully and the presentation was spot on.

The prices are overly cheap, £5-6 for a starter and £13-18 for a main course but this is a restaurant for a special occasion, it would be perfect for Valentine's Day for instance.

Overall I would definitely recommend 99 Station Street and as we left both my wife and I said we hope to return in the near future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Midlands
“Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Had a lovely meal here last night. Food was excellent, service friendly, knowledgeable and efficient and more importantly, they were extremely helpful with regard to my gluten allergy. In fact, a special desert was prepared especially for me and it was delicious.

I cannot recommend 99 highly enough!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere