“On the whole, my 4th visit to the ATH was pretty good if a little expensive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alton Towers Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alton
Alton Towers Hotel
You added Alton Towers Hotel to your Saves list
Alton Towers, Alton ST10 4DB , England   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Alton
Wrexham, north Wales
“On the whole, my 4th visit to the ATH was pretty good if a little expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2007

Having stayed at this hotel a few time before, I knew what to expect, however, I must say that the whole 'experience' was better than on previous visits.

I booked via the call centre as I'm an annual pass holder, and I got a fairly decent discount (about £50 off the web price). I had wanted a themed suite for the two nights as this was a surprise break from my girlfriend, but I wasn't prepared to part with £425 per night!

Check-in went very smoothly, was expecting it to be busier with it being the day before opening day for the park. Staff were all very friendly and were all smiling.

The rooms were as I remembered, a fair size, and in a decent condition. I had requested a lake view, which in my opinion, makes all the difference. Didn't get much sleep on the Friday night due to a wedding in the Conference Centre, which was annoying as I had to be up very early Saturday morning to pick a friend up from Uttoxeter station. Reception staff didn't seemed to bothered about the fact that I got very little sleep. Although the night porter was very quick when our electricity tripped off in the evening (Trip switches in locked cupboard in corridor).

Breakfast on the Saturday was superb.

Saturday night was very quiet in the hotel, and I managed to get a decent nights sleep. Like Saturday morning, the breakfast was superb. Check-out was also very easy, with no quees like I had encountered on previous visits. Would like to return for the halloween event this season to see if the staff are still smiling!!

Visited the waterpark on the Sunday afternoon, this was fun as always. The snow in the late afternoon made the outside area a surreal experience!

Overall, this was a decent trip, but I'm still a little bit dubious about paying £270 again for 2 nights B&B with waterpark entry.

• Liked — Friendly service, clean rooms and great breakfast!
  • Disliked — Nothing on this visit other than the price!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2007

Booking in - can't be done til 3pm, quite late considering you have to be out in the morning by 10am!
Location - easy to find, free and easy parking
Cariba Creek water park - fun for all, temperature of water and surroundings good, nice and warm. Not enough big rings to ride on, or chairs & tables to sit at. Quite expensive!
Changing rooms - were quite grotty and had stupid unisex changing rooms with a lock that no one could work! The doors were locked by lowering the shelf in the changing room, but it wasn't obvious at all, there were no signs to explain & most people just struggled to get dressed with their feet/bottoms pushing the doors shut! Awful!!
Entertainment - good for the kids, quite loud if you were in bed before 11pm though.
Food - Good quality but so expensive! We spent £62 on a buffet for 4 and 2 drinks (cokes)! It was good but not worth that at all.
Staff - some tried hard but some were very trying!! Some couldn't speak English and were serving customers! They couldn't understand what a "lager and black" was or a "smirnoff ice" for example! During our £62 buffet we ordered 2 glasses of wine. They didn't come, so we asked again and they still didn't come. Finally after 50 minutes we were bought one glass of wine!! We were on our puddings by now & told the waiter to take it away it was too late! THEY CERTAINLY SEEMED SHORT STAFFED!
Rooms - TV picture was rubbish, bathroom was fine, clean with good freebies, and a nice powerful shower. There was a slight smell of stale cigarettes which wasn't nice, but the worst thing was the shocking mattress! It was dreadful, springy and a roll together in the middle type! Crap and old basically! I couldn't wait to get home & into my own bed to get a decent sleep! Ironic -as on the hotel room doors were a sign saying "silentnight", (the mattress company with the hippo & chick adverts)! I said to my husband, when i saw it, "looks like they've got good mattresses here, how great !"
Breakfast - Very nice, although again seemed short staffed & panicky. Some of the buffet was luke warm but you tend to get that everywhere.
Overall - kids liked it, we didn't, especially as it cost around £250 for just 24 hours!

• Liked — The water park
  • Disliked — The bed, the staff & the cost
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2007

We booked the hotel for our friends birthday, we had two double rooms
with breakfast and a days pass in the waterpark cariba creek for £69.00 each. We went on sat 10th for one night, we arrived at about 1pm (book in was 3pm) and were told that we could go over to the theme park which was open till 4pm. It was not open to the public just hotel guests, oblivion was open along with hex and a selection of childrens rides, but it was nice to walk around the park and gardens with out all of the crowds. When we got back to the hotel about 3.30pm our rooms were ready, and we went to explore the waterpark it was easy to find as the two hotels are joined and the carpet has flecks of sand on it when your getting near. The changing rooms were small but there were plenty of them, you instantly feel the heat when you walk in which is a little uncomfortable at first but you soon aclimatize to it, there is plenty to do and even the outside water slides and hot springs are really great although being outside in march in britain is a little weird. We spent the evening in the splash landings hotel because the Alton Towers hotel was geared up for more childrens entertainment, we found the drinks to be reasonable and the food was larger portions than expected.The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was ok just in need of a face lift (there was mold on the tiles around the bath) we went down to breakfast and it was buffet style with full english and continental and cereal on offer, although we all agreed we wouldnt stay at the hotel again we did enjoy ourselves but that was more to do with the company than the actual hotel.

• Liked — that it had the water park and the theme park on site
  • Disliked — things that were meant to be just for hotel guests like early entrance to the waterpark wer'nt monitored and people just walked in which made it very busy.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chester England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2007

We stayed at the Alton Tower's Hotel last week expecting a lovely hotel and lovely guests - considering the price we were expecting a lot!!

The hotel reception is nice but has a 'rip off' gift shop selling expensive tacky toys & sweets (just like when you get off the rides) - found this a little 'pushy' and tacky!

Reception staff were useless, young girls who were not trained too great and didn't seem to no what they were doing! Check in took ages and we encountered several cock ups!

Hotel rooms r of average size, have 3/4 beds and bunk beds which look like they have seen better days. the TV had no remote control & was covered in dust, as was most of the room! Decor was ok but considering the price & the hype the hotel receives you would expect A LOT more! You will be disappointed!!!Bathroom was of average size, very basic cheap looking white suite, white tiles with mouldy grouting but very big towels and 'imperial' toiletrries supplied.

BE WARNED!! the cost of the food in thre hotel is top end prices - we were annoyed by this as felt as though we were still in the park getting ripped off!
A small dried up panini with salad at lunch in the bar is around £7, bowl of chips £3!

We ate in the buffet restaurant at Splash Landing Hotels (both hotels are joined by a very loooooong passage way) it was £18.95 per adult and about £12 for kids!
The buffet consisted of watery soup, frozen prawns & salads to start, burgers, hot dogs, pizza, chicken nuggets, noodles, chip, beans etc etc and an ok carvery for mains. Desert selection was fab with large bowl of warm chocolate to help yourself too and lots of fruit, marshmellow, chocolate bits etc to dip in and create your own 'fondue' treats!

The splash landings pool isnot what it is hyped up to be - mainly best for kids as pool mainly consists of water features etc.
We found a poo in the childs swim bit which was scooped out but not cleaned in away!!! i found the tempertaure of the water in all pools and slides to be of tepid temperature & i was pretty cold most the time!
Oh and just to add the changing rooms r the worst i have seen! really old fashioned, uni sex and cubicles which NONE of them lock!! There are also no showering facilities, only 4 shower heads which u r meant to use before entering the pool & to think you are charged £12 to use the pool!!!!!! LIKE THEY HAVE NOT ALREADY CONNED ENOUGH MONEY OUT OF YOU!!!

The entertainment at night was good for a hotel in the UK in Feb & went on until about midnight with 2 different bars hosting different entertainment but it was very 'Butlins' and tacky! young lads asking kids who can scream the loudest whilst playing very loud cheesy pop music, parents were sat getting drunk and keeping no control of their wild children running around the bar causing havoc!

Overall i do not have much good to say about this hotel! it was hurrendously over priced, unhelpful, untrained staff and really was nothing more than a posh Butlins!

• Liked — Free toiletries in bathroom
  • Disliked — everything!!!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hinckley
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2007

Splashpark was superb. My expectations were high for the hotel, and I left feeling utterly miserable, feeling that I was never treated as a customer, but a source of income.

Staff were either poorly trained or incapable of doing their job. I lost count of the number of times I asked a basic question, and was given the wrong answer - What time does the bar close? What time does the restaurant open? Can I charge this to my room? Can I have a bottle of water with my meal? It gets tiresome chasing staff or being sent down blind alleys because someone doesn't know the basics.

Food is mainly fatty finger food at lunchtimes. Uninspired in the evenings. (Although can recommend the evening buffet, if only because it meant that you didn't have to rely on staff for service).

The Pirate Bill show was good though - Can't Alton Towers let him manage the place? He seems to know what he is doing.

I will return to the splashpark and will probably return to the hotel, but with great reluctance, and only because my kids loved it (oblivious to the realities of our stay). But having had my expectations set, I will eat out every lunch and dinner, and save myself the humiliation of having to experience any of their service or food.

• Liked — The splashpark and Pirate Bills show
  • Disliked — The food and service
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Charlesworth, Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2007

Decided on the spur of the moment to go. Got a great deal on lastminute which worked out at half price for 2 nights B&B, then rang Cariba Creek directly to pre-book entry. This was only £9 each.

Alton Towers had Towers, trails and treats programme. Carter's Steam fair was wonderful, beautifully decorated and maintained and the staff really nice and up for a bit of banter both with me, my husband and the kids (4 and 10). You have to buy tokens for the fair but I thought these were very reasonable with rides costing £1/2. Oblivion, Tea cups and Old Macdonald's farm were open for no fee. Also had archery and laser tag available. Brilliant being able to go on Oblivion with no queue and being the only person on it!

Hotel very clean, rooms spacious and service really quite good. I was suprised with breakfast, food was good and plentiful with a really wide range including lovely fresh fruit for the more health conscious. Funny that most kids were filling up with doughnuts and chocolate muffins. We did breakfast once at 10.00 a.m. with no queues and on the last day at 9.00 a.m with large queues to be seated, However, staff were helpful and directed people to eat in the bare area. Queues had disappeared by 9.20 a.m. So either go before 9.00 or later on.

Had meal in Secret Garden restaurant - very busy and service slow but I think this was just our waitress as other areas were getting served mch quicker. Food was okay- better than expected. Kids sausages and mash were 'proper' sausages and real mash.
Drinks reasonably priced for an hotel, we sneaked in a couple of bottles of wine in and no one was any the wiser.

Went into pretty Alton village, only a mile down the road on second night and had a great meal at the Bull's Head pub.If you don't want to eat in the hotel then their are loads of good quality pubs in the locality. They also look like they do B&B at very reasonable rates too.

Did Cariba Creek for 8 hours one day! Brilliant!! Couldn't drag kids (or husband) away- disagree with comment in other review about cost of snacks. £3.75 for a freshly made sandwich and £1.65 for a large coffee is not that bad. They have a no other food policy but loads of people took in picnics including fully loaded cool boxes and staff didn't seem to bother.
Pick up your prebooked wristbands the nigh before then you donlt have to queue in the morning.

Evening entertainment in the Towers Hotel was a great laugh. Dickie Hart and Hayley and Stacie were hilarious.

Will be returning without a doubt.

An action packed 3 days but came home very relaxed. Kids can't stop talking about it.

Stayed February 2007
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

My wife booked a Winter Wonderland trip for ourselves (33, 30) and the kids (5, 8) as a Christmas present - what a great present it turned out to be and we can't wait to go back.

It's a bit of a trek from Leeds and the weather was atrocious with thick fog not helping matters but we got to the hotel for about 12.45pm and checked in no problem, our room was ready so no worries there (guaranteed check-in time was quoted as 3pm) - I was slightly apprehensive because it would have been a bad start if we'd had to wait. Anyway no probs and we got to our room, and my wife mentioned that it was bigger then she had imagined. The kids had a squabble over the bunk beds but common sense prevailed and our youngest was persuaded to take the bottom bed which was like a den for him.

We had a look round to get our bearings, and had a go on the dodgems which was great fun. As it was pouring down with rain we tried to shelter under the canopy but some jobsworth came to move us and told us to walk right round through the mud which was a bit off.

Anyway we booked ourselves into the show and went to get ready to go to the waterpark. I must say the place is fantastic, I was really impressed and the kids loved it. They would have spent every waking minute in there if they'd had the chance, and if their parents hadn't been so tired!! The Master Blaster ride is superb, my wife got a sore bum though and blokes - remember to lift your bum up a bit as my jacksons got an unwanted massage, needless to say I remembered to do it after the first time. My son is five and went in the double ring with me behind him and it was a bit scary for him, there is a dark part with a jump and he nearly got launched right out of the thing but he was OK, he refused to go on the next day though.

The kids made me go on 'Flash Flood' about a hundred times, not complaining though because it was great, and the contrast between the lovely hot water and freezing cold air outside with the rain coming down was an experience! My wife didn't like it though and preferred the volcano spring which was really hot and therapeutic. I must say after being in the water park for about 3 hours the first day and 3 and a half the second I felt invigorated, I've got a bad back and having the hot water jets on it was blissful.

It wasn't until we'd all got dressed in the family cubicle on the second day that we realised how the door closing mechanism worked - I put a pound coin down on the shelf and it tipped over and I thought how can you be so thick!!!! Never mind we'll know next time.

Show was really good, the performers were excellent, I thought at first it was going to be cringeworthy but it was very enjoyable. Kids got a bag of sweets each when we left which was a nice touch.

I'd read that the hotel restaurants are expensive so we had planned to go out for our evening meal. I tracked down a Pizza Hut near Stoke on the web and headed for that but it dawned on me that it was just a takeaway and not a restaurant so we kept on, found a McDonalds but my wife and I decided against it despite pleas from the back seat. We ended up in Uttoxeter and finally found a Chinese - the Capital - there was a space outside which was spot on. The meal was great, we made the mistake of getting the kids an adult meal each but never mind, and I ended up spending probably as much as we would have done back at the hotel but hey ho!

We got back and the kids were shattered, although our youngest is like a dynamo and had been looking forward to the disco so we left the girls in the hotel room and boogied. He won the disco dancing competition which topped off a great day.

Next day we went down to breakfast which was excellent despite us getting close to the 10am deadline - past experience has found that you tend to get the dregs at that time but all the food was still getting replenished which was a pleasant surprise. We all took our fill and the kids liked the decor etc in the restaurant area.

We checked out, I put all the bags and stuff in the car and we went to the water park for some more fun and games. Ladies beware of wearing a cossie and standing under the house that tips up and sends the water crashing down on everyone, she managed to expose herself to all and sundry which must have amusing to any bystanders.

Our youngest took great delight in pouring buckets of water over unwitting people below (some of whom took offence!) especially when he ran off to leave me appearing to be the purpetrator! (which in some instances I was... these places bring out the kid in you!)

Overall we had a great experience and would go back again, although it was a bit expensive. The bar was certainly expensive and the service was appalling. We could have done with a snack when we got there but there was a pitiful range of snacks at the bar and some clever [--] at the hotel had decided to do an outdoor bbq roast thing which with it persisting down with rain was a damp squib, and expensive - we passed on that as did 99% of other guests. Just a snack menu or something would have been nice, even just a plate of chips!

Once the disco finished at 11pm it was fairly quiet. The bed was comfy, nice pillows and the kids slept well. The heating worked a treat. Nice freebies in the bathroom, full bottle of original source shampoo and some imperial leather stuff. We never actually had a shower or bath because we'd been to the waterpark, but it was clean enough and good supplies of everything.

Just a note on the waterpark, I wear soft contact lenses and didn't have any problems with my eyes, there wasn't a horrible chlorine smell so I guess they must heat treat the water or something to sterilise it. We took our own towels and left them on a bench and despite my worries they didn't get nicked. Towels are a pound each to rent if you don't want to take your own. Our youngest needed a life jacket which was free, he thought he was great with it on too. He can't swim but managed to survive all the rides and slides etc somehow. He did puke once but that was my fault I think!

If you go I hope you have as good a time as we did.

All the best

Hugh

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Alton Towers Hotel? Share your experiences!