“Pleasant Surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alton Towers Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alton
Alton Towers Hotel
You added Alton Towers Hotel to your Saves list
Alton Towers, Alton ST10 4DB , England   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Alton
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Having just returned from my first visit to The Alton Towers Hotel I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The theme of this hotel is excellent and i think that if you have children they would really appreciate and enjoy it.

Other than slow service in the restaurant on a very busy Saturday night I felt that overall the customer service we received in this hotel was very good. It was a nice touch to have greeters at the door. The entertainment in the evening were singers who were very good.

The rooms were nice and clean. I was in the pull out bed which was really comfortable but my sister in laws were in the double bed and the mattress was solid. In a hotel that was full of groups and children I have to say that it was not noisy during the night.

We had breakfast in the morning and there was a great deal of choice and the breakfast room was lovely with a nice view of the lake.

I was here with a group of girls and I wouldn't hesitate to come back as a group or with my husband and son. I think my son would love it. If you are looking for a quiet romantic break this is not the place but if you are looking for somewhere to come as a group or a family and want to be close to the park this hotel is a perfect choice.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wirral, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed last minute in the splash landings hotel and we didn't arrive until late- the staff were helpful at the desk and made conversation and gave us info about breakfast etc, which was nice.
Our room was ok however considering the hotel wasn't full they placed us in a room right next to the main lobby door and oh my, it was so loud- from 6am onwards all we could hear was the door slamming shut and people it was horrendous- we were gutted but we didn't let it ruin our stay.
Breakfast was fantastic to say the least- the staff let us sit away from the noisy zone and showed us around, anything we wanted they would help- we couldn't fault them!
We went in the water park, it was packed but we didn't expect anything less we still had a lovely time and the water park is fab!!
We also had spa treatments and we practically had the place to ourselves it was so relaxing and the couples full body massage is a must!! The staff were lovely and so placid. Again, whatever we wanted they would sort.
Overall we had a lovely anniversary and we will definitely be coming again- just not the same room as last time as it slightly spoilt it for us!!
We also stayed in October 13 for altonville, we had a great time- same treatment but more scary!!
Thanks Alton towers

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We had a two night stay at the Alton Towers Hotel in September 2013 and once again, the experience was hugely positive. We arrived late on the first evening and check-in was very quiet, making the whole process trouble-free and quick. The helpful staff provided our park tickets and pointed us towards our room. The room was lovely, overlooking the gardens and beds were very comfortable. If I was being picky, I would say the bathroom was showing its age and could do with some modernisation. The complimentary breakfast was up to the usual standards - not outstanding but tasty enough and in sufficient quantity to prepare us for each day in the park. On this trip we decided against dinner in the Secret Garden Restaurant and headed for the buffet at Splash Landings - huge mistake! While the food was tasty enough, the whole ambience was awful and we really didn't enjoy the experience at all. That aside, it was another pleasant stay and we look forward to returning in the future (and returning to the pleasant experience that is the Secret Garden Restaurant!)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We came here for weekend with our 5 years old daughter.And ones you getting in to hotel your adventure begins:)! It was moshi monsters weekend so we booked moshi room. It was all decorated in miego monsters and also we found there many presies for our child. My little one was well impressed:-)! After water park we had few drinks and moshi disco where you can dance, color or decorate your own monster. Dinner we had in Empire restourant. Must say we had amazing food and excellent service. Great weekend. Worth money!

• Stayed February 2014
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

We decided to go to the hotel for my husbands birthday and we took advantage of the special offer of room and entrance to waterpark for £59. What we received for £59 was what I would expect however if it had cost anymore I have to say I would be very disappointed, the website didnt state that resturants or the parc would be closed. when we go there, we were told that resturants would be open at 5.30 which is fine, but that everything else was closed. The rooms were very very basic. We went down to book splash landings buffett and were told that splash landings was closed. We were then told that the only place we could get food from was the Secret Garden in the hotel if not we would have to go out.
We decided to stay at the hotel and get food. The Food was very very expensive (as you would expect). we were put in the darkest place in the resturant, until i said could we be put somewhere, where light is.... the service was not good, it was slow, drinks took around 30 mins and the whole time we were in there was around 2 hours - we got fed up and didnt stay for a desert becuase of this.

The room itself was ok - bit out of date - BUT All you could hear was children/adults walking/running past the rooms shouting etc. so my little one didnt get to sleep until aroun 10pm due to the noise.
We were woken up at 7am by workmen banging on the floor above - i thought that they wanted to join us in bed to be honest!

We asked if there was anything for children and were told no. In the morning we went down to breakfast - which was fine as it was a buffett - so eat what you like. We checked out - at 10am but were told that the pool didnt open until 11am - so what to do with an hour when you have a 18month old. we were told there was lego play and an outside petting zoo.

When we went downstairs - this was totally co-ordden off due to them re-decorating - we couldnt get anywhere! it wasnt good at all. We then had to hang around till 11 am when we were able to get in the pool area - which was ok - but very very very very very cold. - so you didnt stay in there long.

I just felt that it was a wast of money - I would have rather stayed in a Holiday inn.....

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

At first look, it's not a bad impression... but then it all goes downhill from there.
To start with, the staff on reception are about as helpful as a 2 yr old trying to run a hotel, and make you feel about as welcome as a rat.
Then we got to our room, a family room with a bunk bed and a double...it would have been comfier to sleep in the car. The mattresses were full of springs sticking out, and didn't even fit the beds, so my daughter woke up sliding down the wall on the top bunk , as the bunk beds weren't proper bunks, just 2 single beds screwed together, so there was no bed guard around the top bunk near the wall....this may not be a problem had the mattress not been too small, and had the bunk beds been pushed against the wall properly.
There was only one useable plug socket in the whole room, so we had to keep unplugging the kettle in order to charge phones etc.
We asked for more milk and coffee for the room and were told that they were running low so we could only have 3 little cartons of milk.
Check out was at 10am, yet at 8.40am we had cleaners knocking on our door asking if we were done so they could clean the room.
We had an evening meal in the restaurant which was VERY overpriced, an average main being around £15 each, a glass of wine over £5. The food was OK, but not worth the price or the very long wait in a half empty restaurant... we were left waiting 25 mins before we even received drinks, and even longer for any sign of food.
The breakfast that was included was very nice to be fair, best part of the hotel.
When we got there I had overpaid by £28 which they said they'd credit to my card to use at the hotel, which I agreed to. However, as I didn't use the whole £28, they had put a hlkd of £50 on my debit card, which I was assured they would remove on check out as it was just to cover anything we had whilst at the hotel.
This did not happen, and I ended up having a big argument with a rude receptionist called Poppy, who was very unhelpful, and until I pointed out it was the hotel I was furious with, she assumed I was accusing her of having my money! She then told me I'd have to wait up to a week to get the £50 released back into my bank.
She eventually gave me another solution, she would charge my card with 1p, and that would release my money. No...it did not release my money, so I rang my bank, who can do nothing until the hotel release it...so I rang the hotel again this morning and get told it will be up to 5 working days until I get my money back!!! NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL!
All in all, I've stayed in many hotels, and for £123 per night I'd spend my money on a much higher class hotel...even premier inns etc are much much better value for money.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Leamington Spa, Warwickshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

My husband and I decided to take a short break with our two girls (3 and 9 months) and we took advantage of the special offer of room and entrance to waterpark for £59. What we received for £59 was what I would expect however if it had cost anymore I have to say I would be very disappointed. We were allocated room 303 in the alton towers hotel and whilst it was spacious enough for us as we needed space for a travel cot it was far to noisy we were right by the lifts which are all themed so play music every time they go so when it stops you can here it and right by the stairs so we could hear the evening entertainment which wouldn't normally be a problem but as we were in our room by 7:30 it was quite distracting along with the noise from people returning/leaving their rooms this meant our 3 year old could not get to sleep and was still awake at 10:30! On reflection I should have asked for a different room but wasn't sure on the availability. The decor could probably do with updating and maybe some soundproofing considered but other than that it was ok. So our only options for dining were the pizza restaurant or the secret garden as the buffet restaurant was not open. I wasn't really impressed with the options at the pizza restaurant and thought it was a little pricy so we booked in at the secret garden. I have to say I was quite disappointed it wasn't very busy so our food came out very quick but it was not up to the best standard for the price we were paying, the three of us had fish and chips and that's all we got! So the adults came with fish,chips and tartare sauce and the kids was fish, chips and peas where were the peas for adults? They were not massive portions and for the price quote poor the fish was ok but the chips were terrible and hard. Then service seemed to turn very slow which meant we ended up leaving without a pudding for our little girl as even though we were seated at 5:30 we would have missed the 7pm pirate bill show! Now the pirate bill show was fantastic and pirate bill was amazing and catered for all of the preschoolers that were there and our 3 year old was laughing her heart out which was great to watch. Breakfast was ok had a good selection and the staff were very good in the morning. We then went to the waterpark which isn't massive but did the job for us and the girls and they had a great couple of hours in the pool before we then went home. The trip wasn't as good as I was expecting and if I had paid full price would have been extremely disappointed but for what we paid it did the job for us.

Stayed February 2014

Been to Alton Towers Hotel? Share your experiences!