“Definitely improving” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alton Towers Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alton
Alton Towers Hotel
Save Saved
You added Alton Towers Hotel to your Saves list
Alton Towers, Alton ST10 4DB , England   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Alton
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Definitely improving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

I have been fortunate enough to visit the two Alton Towers hotels numerous times and the original 'Alton Towers Hotel' remains the better of the two in my opinion.

The hotel has a relatively classy feel to it, with lots of hidden magical touches from the the magic doorbell (try pressing it as you walk in) and the special steps for the little ones at reception to the giant chair and beautiful garden. It is a shame some basic hotel services like a porter seem not to be available any more however.

The rooms were well kept and clean but are still in need of refurbishment, particularly the bathroom which is on par with the bathroom of an average Travelodge aside from the fact it is a bit bigger. I like that a basic room service drinks and snacks menu was available although it would have been better on a menu (as it used to be) than on the tv remote control stand.

Breakfast and our evening meal were great, the staff in the restaurants were definitely a highlight of the trip. They went out of their way to get a menu item requested by my son too (sorbet). I haven't tried the new Emperor Grill restaurant yet but I'm glad to see that the resort have improved the food offerings greatly. (there is also a new ice cream parlor and coffee bar at Splash Landings hotel).

Another good stay overall, but I can't emphasize enough the need to modernise some of the rooms!

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Recently stayed in both 'The Sleepover room' and 'The Chocolate room'. I was a little dubious about the rooms from what I had seen on the internet, but let me assure you the virtual tours and photos do not do the rooms justice, particularly 'The Sleepover room'.
Easy to check in and pleasant reception staff, though we weren't informed about the VIP parking for the themed rooms and had to park a little way from the lobby, with a lot of cases to carry!
We decided not to have a meal, as it is very pricey indeed, though we did indulge in a few cocktails on arrival.
Firstly, 'The Sleepover room' is fantastic: dance floor, glitter ball, gigantic SMEG fridge stocked with cola and snacks. Music plays every time you enter the bathroom or the actual suite itself!
Fantastic makeup counter for 6, with little spa bags, hair dryer and GHD straighteners. Right next to the lift, so easy to transfer your luggage! There are two plasma screens and you can collect games from reception to play on the Wii and X box that are built into the dance floor area. Very comfy sleeping area, with soft furnishings etc
'The Chocolate room' really does offer unlimited chocolate. When we arrived we found smarties begin dispensed from the wall, chocolate hidden in hollowed out books and a chestful of quality street. They also have a sound box in the room that emits noises you expect to hear when on a train. Unfortunately, this decided to kick in at 3am and we could not turn it off!
My only quibble with this room were the bunk beds and their bedding, or rather lack of! My friend and I only had a very thin, scratchy bed spread, so we were shivering most of the night. The other beds had lovely big, soft duvets.
Breakfast was a little crammed, but fantastic array of food and buffet style, so you can eat quickly or leisurely, depending on your preferences.
All in all a very good stay and would be happy to return.

Room Tip: Try and splurge for a themed room, particularly if you are with a group of friends
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

After visiting Port Aventura for Halloween last year staying at home was no longer a real option! So I shelled out just over £370 to go to Alton Towers on Halloween to give the kids a bit of spooky fun. Having 2 autistic boys and a toddler we didn't opt for a 'scare room' and decided to stay in the slightly quieter Alton Towers hotel (£30 more than splash landings - why?).
A few days prior to the trip I fell and fractured my wrist do no rides for mum - but never mind I thought there will be plenty of 'spooktastic fun' to be had.
However I was to be sorely dissapointed. There was little going on that reminded you this was Halloween, unless you count the singers at night being dressed up as zombies and a few plastic. Pumpkins and props here and there. At port aventura there'd been shows all over the place, real pumpkins and the evening Halloween spectacular on the lake - at alton to do anything like that you had to pay an additional £9 per person to go in the 'scare maze'. - seriously are there tickets not expensive enough???. Also one of the big attractions advertised was to ride '13 after dark'. Which might have been fun for the kids had it been working....
Now for the hotel, since my last stay it's definately been downgraded. The last stay in the AT hotel we got goody bags for the kids, there was a lovely teddy in the room, your tv had a welcome on it when you went in and all the toiletries were imperial leather. Nowadays all of those little luxuries are gone although they do try and make animals from towels... The rooms are starting to look a bit tired these days as well and could do with a revamp in my opinion. Despite my request I had no travel cot so toddler slept with me and daddy. The room was quite clean though.
On arrival we tried to book for dinner before 6.30pm to take advantage of the 'kids eat free' offer but there were no tables so that was a non starter, however breakfast was good and plentiful with lots of options. Overall the stay was 'ok' just not £370 worth! One thing that did annoy though - at 9am a cleaner let herself in - we weren't dressed so I complained - pretty poor service!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is gorgeous and the service was great. The grounds are beautiful especially with some Halloween decorations. The room was really clean with plenty of room, my only criticism is that the bathroom needs to be refurbished do that it is the same standard as the room. The food in the Secret Restaurant was great, massive portions although a little expensive.
Will definitely be back soon! The kids loved it and so did the adults!

• Stayed October 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

As you would expect from a hotel next to the park, it is very expensive. Unless you get a special deal, the hotel will be far pricier than similar quality hotels further away, but in my opinion it is worth it.

You can enjoy the park so much more knowing you are just a few steps away from your hotel, and there is enough entertainment and different dining options at both hotels that kids and adults will be easily entertained.

I have not stayed at Splash Landings hotel, just the normal hotel each time, but it has always been clean, and the garden area with fountain is beautiful at night to sit and have a drink around.

I have eaten at both the Grilllhouse (fantastic food, top recommendation for adult groups) and the Secret Garden. The latter looks like any standard restaurant and we expected standard pub food, but were pleasantly surprised by a very high quality and tasty meal, so apologies for the assumption!

The only downside I would have is, though friendly, the staff have not been very helpful at any of our stays; to the point that I had to walk back to our hotel from the water park (in soaking wet gear, freezing) to get money because we had been mislead about paying on our room, and they offered absolutely no assistance in the matter, essentially receiving a shrug of the shoulders - hence the 1 star I'm giving to service as I have been bothered enough to file a full complaint about it.

Don't let the poor service deter from a lovely hotel with a great location though, the easiest way to sum up our visit is we will be going back again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The rooms are dated and basic considering the cost . The dining options are pricey too the al a carte was a lovely meal however we only had a glass of wine each and a main course and this cost £45 on the second evening we had the buffet in the splash landings hotel which for two of us again only having a glass if wine each cost us over £50 and the food was below average . Good points are the breakfast and the convenience if being so close to the parks

• Stayed October 2012
Oxenhope, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We managed to get a good deal through following them on Facebook, if it wasn't for that I would feel a little ripped off.

Our 8 year old loved it and this place is clearly set up for families and there are some nice little features in and around the hotel.

The room was spacious with a few nice touches. The only problem was we went on a very warm weekend and the only air conditioning was an electric fan so was a little uncomfortable to sleep in.

The restaurant is nice but standard quality food and a little high on price, breakfast was of a decent standard though.

The main plus point is free parking and the ability to go into the rides earlier than everyone else.

Room Tip: If you have young children go to the waterpark hotel as all evening activities are held there so hav...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Alton Towers Hotel? Share your experiences!