“Great hotel, superb staff and lovely little touches.” 5 of 5 stars

Holbrook House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wincanton BA9 8BS, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wincanton
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, superb staff and lovely little touches.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed at Holbrook House on my way back from Exeter with my Girlfriend. We were warmly greeted on arrival and duly shown to our huge room overlooking the tennis court. The grass court turned out to be only the beginning of the beautiful grounds, round the back of the hotel was even better, matching the grandeur of the building itself.

The stay only got better with an amazing evening meal and equally good breakfast the following morning.

What I loved most about this hotel were the little touches that cost nothing, being escorted to our room despite how obviously busy everyone was, not just being taken through for dinner from the lounge, but having our drinks carried though by the waiter. There were many little touches which sound silly now I write them down, but they had obviously been thought about and made our stay that much more special!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Ben M,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so pleased that you both enjoyed your stay with us and hope to be able to welcome you to Holbrook again soon.

Darren McGinley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights on a Travelzoo deal.
We were given a garden room, which was spacious and lead out to the lawn and our own seating area. It would have been lovely if the weather had been better!
Dinner was excellent, and we enjoyed our two breakfasts.
The grounds are very nice, and we used the Spa and pool. The pool is large , and we enjoyed our swim.
Our room was comfortable with tea and coffee provided, and large towels and a comfortable bed.
We would certainly like to return.

Room Tip: I did not want to climb stairs, so a garden room was ideal. It is a very short walk to the hotel for...
Dear Jenny F,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor after your recent stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you to Holbrook again in the near future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The outside of the Hotel itself is what we expected when u get inside its a bit disappointing the room we were giving was small and dark at the top of the house no lift to the top so we had to walk up 3 flights of stairs We must have had the servants quarters when this old house was in its prime Anyway the food we had and service was good the waiter in the spa area was a bit odd and I think he took a dislike or liking to me from the start he keep on to me about the way I was looking at the ladies in the café( I think he was only joking) Overhaul this place needs a good bit of TLC I don't know if I would come again but the deal we had with travel Zoo was good Also the pool needs a good lick of paint to bring it up to what u expect.

Room Tip: Not at top of hotel
Dear bonzo186460,

Thank you for your feedback after your stay with us through Travelzoo. As you can imagine in a house of this age it is impossible to install a lift so apologies for the climb to the top floor.

I have noted your comments regarding the interior of the house. We do have an ongoing programme of refurbishment and also hope to improved the swimming pool are in the near future. (Also, I am sure that Yiannis in the spa was only joking!)

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

If you are a fan of polished, clinical, identical hotels then this may not be for you. If, however, you prefer somewhere unique, full of character, off the beaten track then this place is for you.

We stayed in a junior suite which I would thoroughly recommend as these are situated within the main building and are well worth the little bit extra. The room was spacious and beautifully decorated.

The staff were very keen to help at every turn: even providing a comprehensive list of every Thai restaurant within a 15 mile radius!

We ate in the restaurant on the first night: the food was delicious and the service was exceptional. We were also offered the opportunity of upgrading from our 'standard' menu to the a la carte; however, there was no need: I doubt anything could top the yummy smoked salmon, lamb and creme brûlée which I had.

I spent a great deal of time in the spa which, I concede, is a little frayed around the edges, but it is perfectly functional and in total I went there 4 times during our stay and found that there were always people there without it being overwhelmingly busy so it was nice and relaxing. We also had a beauty treatment as part of our deal which was a lovely treat: do treat yourself and upgrade to an hour if you can.

The only slight problem in the hotel is the poor wifi reception. This may just have been our room but as a smartphone addict I did find it a little challenging. On the other hand, it does force you to disconnect from the outside world which is rather fitting for a delightful retreat in the Dorset countryside and was exactly what this weekend was all about.

All in all, we had a wonderful time and will definitely be going back.

P.S. Do look directly on their website before booking: it has a 'special offer' like the one we went on including one meal, two nights and a spa treatment: it's excellent value!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear dizzylizzy101,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and enjoyed the unique qualities of Holbrook House.
We are having the Wifi looked at and hope that you visit again soon.

Highworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I will start by saying that I have given Holbrook House an average rating, as I don't think it warrants a very good, when compared to other country house hotels that I have also reviewed. The reasons behind this rating are, we stayed in a garden room (converted stable block), the other side of the spa/leisure area from the main hotel. We arrived on a dark and rainy September evening, checked in and were told we were in a garden room, we were given rough verbal instructions of how to drive closer to our room, but I still got soaked, getting out of the car to establish the exact location of our room without adequate lighting or signage. We did manage to park close to the room, but perhaps the provision of a site printout would have saved a lot of trouble. The room itself was large with patio doors to the garden, but a little tired. After dressing for dinner, we stepped out into the rain again, but it was so dark by this time and with no lighting to illuminate our way, we ended up driving to the main hotel. The meal itself was okay, but not as special as other hotels I have reviewed on Tripadvisor. The good things about the hotel were, umbrellas in reception (which is fine if you know where you are headed), the very well maintained grounds (we complimented the gardener personally on this), the breakfasts were very good and the dining area nicely laid out. The main hotel has a nice feel to it, although this doesn't make the feeling of being out-housed any better. I'm sure the garden rooms, would feel a lot nicer during the summer, as the rear outlook is quite pleasant. Most of the staff were very polite and attentive, although a few didn't seem to have the inter-personal skills required to work in hotel that is obviously striving towards excellence.

Room Tip: Unless it is during the summer, request a room in the main hotel.
Dear Wiltshirewall,

Thank you for your comments. We do appreciate feedback from our guests, both positive and negative, and constantly work on making all our guests' experiences meet their expectations.

Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My daughter treated me to a Spa Pamper Day. It was nice to have a day with her, but the Spa facilities were disappointing and very tired and really needed a lot of tlc, modernising and updating. The lunch menu in the lounge was limited and pricey. You don’t need a whole day to experience the swimming pool, Jacuzzi and sauna. There is nowhere to sit by the pool, there could be a few loungers and something to make the area a bit more attractive. The treatments by the young beauty therapists were good, and made the day worthwhile.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Dorsetduckling,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent spa day with us. We are constantly updating our facilities in the health club and are also looking at ways to make a relaxation area adjacent to the pool so hopefully this will be improved in the near future.

Weymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed here in September on a recent Travelzoo deal. The offer was very good value at £99 for a one night stay with a 3 course meal for two, this included use of the spa facilities.

Pro's:

Location was good for what we wanted, nice and secluded but with quick links to Wells/Glastonbury/Bath etc...

Very good service throughout the stay, although particular praise should be given to front of house staff and restaurant staff who were faultless

We weren't sure if we had been given an upgraded room but our room was massive, tastefully decorated, comfortable and with good amenities. It had good views out over the hotel gardens.

The bed was comfy and we both slept well.

The swimming pool was of a good size for a hotel pool and the rest of the facilities were good and clean.

The restaurant food and experience was fantastic, Upon arriving for dinner we were shown through to a lounge where we were given complimentary canapes and our choices were taken.
We chose our food from the set menu where there was plenty of choice for us both although there was no vegetarian starter available.
We queried this with the waiter and the kitchen who subsequently cooked something up for my partner.

Con's:

The men's changing room for the swimming pool was located on the otherside of the spa area meaning you have to walk through the reception.

Some of the area's were in need of refurbishment, however we understand these are being done gradually.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Doug_s10,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us last month and were able to take advantage of the special offer with Travelzoo. I have passed on your comments to the staff team and hope that you will visit Holbrook again.

Darren McGinley

Been to Holbrook House Hotel? Share your experiences!