“Poor Sunday Evening Carvery” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ralegh's Cross Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Watchet
Ralegh's Cross Inn
You added Ralegh's Cross Inn to your Saves list
Brendon Hill, Watchet, Exmoor National Park TA23 0LN , England   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Watchet B&B and Inns
Washford, United Kingdom
“Poor Sunday Evening Carvery”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Very disappointed with the carvery last night. Booked in for 8pm with my children. Yes, the pork was still moist, and the beef was tasty. But, the vegetables weren't at all. The peas were a mix of stewed and new ones poured on-top of the old ones.
The Swede looked very pasty and off putting, although the taste was acceptable. The Cauliflower had been under the lights for far too long, and looked dried out.
There was some odd white cabbage in cheese sauce, which didn't look particularly appealing.
I burnt my hand on the spoons for serving the vegetables as they had been sat under the hot lamps for such a long time. No chef advising to be careful, or what would have worked better was not leaving the serving spoons in the dish under the hot lights.
Overall, I wasn't impressed at all about the meal at all. The only plus was the distance from my home.
This restaurant/pub is aimed at coach loads of people that are happy with poor quality, high turn over eating

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Whilst appearing as a traditional county pub, this place hasn't been updated since the 70s, from the décor to the menu. Bland carvery, with three overcooked meats, and the usual array of veg, just boiled in water - no seasoning, no glaze - put me in mind of school dinners. Desserts are obviously just bought in frozen ones and reheated - my spotted dick (no jokes please) was cut from a 'loaf', and for some reason was presented with chocolate sauce (!). Another member of the party had the cheesecake, which was presented with lovely berries and clotted cream, and then ruined with lurid pink ice-cream sauce?! A few simple changes and this place would be great, but don't go there for the food, especially with so much other choice around Exmoor! Decent prices though - £10 carvery and £3.95 desserts - but you get what you pay for...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lynton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stopped here for lunch today after hearing that the food was good.
My ploughman's was excellent and it was nice to have a bit of every thing on the plate as most place only give you a choice of either cheese, ham or pate, but mine had pork pie, cheese ham and pickled egg plus the salad, bread and chutney and I throughly enjoyed it along with my couple of pints of cider. BUT,my husband had the haddock and chips which when they came out looked fab, but alas the fish was cold and uncooked in the middle leaving us to conclude that it was frozen fish and when we asked for it to be taken back and dunked into the fryer to cook it through it was taken away and microwaved thus making the batter soggy and unapealing, plus I would have thought that we would have had something knocked off the bill for this but NO we got charged full price and received no apology, so all in all my meal was great but hubby's was so so and a big let down, I was going to celebrate my birthday at this pub but have now changed my mind.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Delft, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed here on my own in a double room, which was a bit small - the bed took up most of the space in the room. The bathroom was ok, but the shower was not put up on the wall, so I had to hold it all the time while trying to shower, a bit uncomfortable. Also the towel warmer was on, and could not be switched off, which made the bathroom rather too hot.
The wifi was broken, but the lady at the desk kindly let me use her computer, which was nice - but it would be better if they fixed the wifi!
I had dinner in the pub, which was ok; nothing really special. Most of the food seemed to be pre-made, e.g. the chocolate pudding. The bread was just a supermarket baguette.
The breakfast was supposed to start at 8, but staff were still setting up at 8.10, which made me feel uncomfortable hanging around there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

A group of friends some of which have mobility problems and are confined to wheelchairs had a lovely trip over exmoor by coach ending up at raleighs cross for an evening meal, we arrived before opening times but no matter we were made so very welcome. There were 16 of us in all, we all had different meals every meal being delivered to us by very kind and helpful young people, as you can imagine being in wheel chairs can cause problems not so at raleighs cross, we all agreed the food was lovely, well presented and good quality, we will certainly return and recommend the hotel to friends.

Room Tip: Did not stay so cannot comment
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This was the 5th time my husband & I holidayed at Ralegh's Cross Inn. The hotel is under new management but the same lovely staff are there. A few changes have been made, menu is slightly different & carvery is available on extra days. We find the food very good & the rooms homely & comfortable. Still a little TLC is needed on decor but nothing major. The spacious landing now boasts comfy chairs & tables with fridge with complimentary cakes & cream plus an assortment of teas coffees & biscuits as well as games such as chess & scrabble. This is a very nice touch as no payment is required. Several couples were there & they had been very many times before. We hope to go again next year!

Room Tip: rooms in the front & side of hotel have a lovely view, rooms at the back do not have a good view...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Fareham, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was our third visit to Ralegh's Cross, the last one being about 5 years ago. We managed to get in at very short notice in one of the last rooms available. Thankfully in the 5 years since our last visit very little had changed. That may seem a strange thing to say but what this venue has is charm and atmosphere, something that if it lost would change the whole ambience of the place.
The staff are helpful, cheery and only too pleased to pass the time of day. The venue has rooms within the main building as well as rooms within an annexe. Our room was very comfortable with a four poster bed, en suite bathroom with hand held shower. The latter may not be to everyone's preference but was okay for us. There was the usual tea/coffee making facilities in the room (complimentary goodies are situated on the landing) and a hair dryer for those who need one (not me !). I did find the mattress in our room a bit hard but that is down to my preference and my wife was very happy so it must be me.
The meals are the highlight of the stay especially if you time your visit to coincide with the serving of a carvery. Excellent. Breakfast is as substantial as you want to make it. By that I mean you can grapefruit, prunes, juice, yoghurts cereal, toast, full english, etc etc. Go the whole hog and you won't need lunch.

Once there where is there to go ? There is Dunster with it's castle (National Trust), Minehead, Lynton, Lynmouth, Porlock etc. However do visit places like Wimbleball Lake which aren't on the tourist map. If adventurous you could, like us, walk the 9-10 miles around the lake, and enjoy a cream tea afterwards. Clattworthy resevoir, a mile or so behind Ralegh's Cross, is another place worthy of a visit for a gentle stroll or another route march around the lake.

One comment in the guest book did make me smile. Everything about the Inn was very good but the creaky flloboards did get a bit tiresome. Well I am sorry but it is things like this which add to the atmosphere of the place.

We are planning a revisit later in the year all things being equal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ralegh's Cross Inn? Share your experiences!