“Hidden Gem” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Yeovil, Somerset
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I have been having the occasional Sunday lunch were for years as we pass it on our way down to the coast. I believe (I may be wrong) that it may have changed hands since we last came here. We arrived on the Sunday, not having booked, but this was no problem. My husband chose his roast (choice of 3 I believe) and I had the option of an aubergine bake. We sat out in the garden, which I did not know was there, it was lively. This place's roast dinners are always delicious, great vegetables, always cooked 'just right' and very reasonably priced. It is always quite when we go in and I do wonder how they manage to keep going in this current climate, but hope this does not affect them, although I did notice a poster in the bar advertising up and coming events, so well done.

• Visited June 2013
lizn732, Owner at Manor Arms, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
I must apologise for not responding sooner to this report but as we have just had a more recent review of our Sunday lunch it reminded me. Thank you for your kind comments which are much appreciated. You are quite right it can be very quiet on some Sundays and we try our hardest to attract diners for Sunday lunch but we are in fierce competition with "All Day Carvery Meals" these days. I don't understand their popularity as the food can sit on a carvery for hours and the flavours become intermingled. By sticking to the old fashioned idea of a proper lunch time sitting and serving a choice of two roasts, freshly cooked locally sourced vegetables and roasted potatoes and parsnips the customer has the very best dining experience and you obviously have enjoyed it many times in The Manor. I do hope you have tried our lovely homemade puds. as well.

Brisbane, Australia
“Welcomed and well fed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We unexpectedly stayed here after our original booking to a nearby pub fell through. The staff were very helpful, and really appreciated our predicament. So we were very grateful that they had a room available.. It was very comfortable, and the breakfast was great.. Eggs cooked perfectly, plenty to eat.

We also had dinner in the restaurant. The lamb was cooked beautifully, crab salad was delicious, service friendly and helpful. A lovely atmosphere.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chard, United Kingdom
“Just wonderful, relaxed and welcoming..Food honest and divine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We try and visit when ever we pass near North Perrott as theThe Manor arms is simply a gem. On entering the bar everyone bids 'Hello!' Although we are clearly not locals. Papers are laid out at the bar, which always encourages you to enjoy the whole sunday lunch experience, but most impressive of all is the fabulous lunch. Which consisted of succulent roast beef, four vegetables,heavenly crispy roast potatoes,sweet parsnips and two pints for an amazingly priced £22.40! The staff are lovely, and we trooped out all the locals bid us a cheery 'Bye!' Loved it! We'll return soon!

• Visited April 2013
Chard, United Kingdom
“What a real country pub should be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was our 4th Visit to The Manor Arms, Each time we have been impressed by the homecooked food. The roast on sunday is quite simply delicious, and is head and shouders above most local pubs and resturants in the surrounding area.The greatest surprise is the reasonable cost! The welcome is always warm, with a toasty woodburner, papers to read and a genuine smile from behind the bar. On this visit we took very discerning friends, one of which is a vegetarian, who had a genuinely good choice of main course. None of us were disappointed in the food we were served. The portions were enormous and heartwarming just what you want on a winter's day! I only have two tiny critisiams,, The paper tablecloths, but I think that maybe left over from Valentines night, and the unimaginative vegetables. Otherwise 10/10!

• Visited February 2013
lizn732, Owner at Manor Arms, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Many thanks for your review following your visit last weekend. You are perfectly correct - the red paper tablecloths were because we were running our Valentines "do" over that weekend as well. We normally only have polished tables with mats. Vegetable wise in the winter you must appreciate that it is difficult to locally source much more than brassicas and root vegetables but I am sure we can find some more interesting ways to present them. Cheese sauce is a favourite with both our leeks and cauliflower and our chefs' recipe for spicy red cabbage is not to be missed
Crewkerne, United Kingdom
“Greek Night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

A lovely evening with Julie and her team making a tremendous night for us locals. Great value, and great fun!

Visited August 2012

Been to Manor Arms? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Manor Arms, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.