“Don't be deceived” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Lighthouse

You added The Lighthouse to your Saves list
The Lighthouse
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Bulls Quarries Rd | Tytherington, Frome BA11 5BW, England   |
Ranked #15 of 30 Frome B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Don't be deceived”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The accommodation choices for this area, which includes Longleat, fail to specify that this is NOT a Hotel, it is a health spa with a no-alcohol policy, glutin free, etc. The advertised swimming pool is NOT open due to 'health and safety' reasons. The rooms are converted horse stables and are incredibly hot, with no external ventilation. All very nice if you want a health spa, not so useful if you think you are booking standard accommodation. Beware - this is misselling by Venere and other comparison sites who have either been mis-informed or don't know what they are selling.
The place is, however, very peaceful and well run, in an excellent location, but you need to know what you are buying! If you want gluten free and peace, 100%, if you want a drink and a smoke, forget it!

Room Tip: Read the web site before booking this - this is not an hotel, it is a health/faith spa.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
JanetWilliams, Owner at The Lighthouse, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
The Lighthouse does indeed offer a particular ambience and quality of service which is different from the norm. As a health and well-being centre, we welcome anyone who is looking for a tranquil, beautiful environment with great facilities - be it families, business visitors, couples or individuals looking for a place to relax and unwind, or simply a base from which to explore the area.

We do our best to advertise the unique qualities of the Lighthouse as clearly as possible on our website and other marketing material.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Taplow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My room was great although lacking of natural light and more to the point ventilation as the roof window is very small and difficult to open.
My room was well equipped and spotlessly clean. The place is quiet and I had a great night sleep. I only realised once I had checked in that the place is actually a retreat and therefore some rules can put people off. No alcohol allowed on the premises, no caffeine, no dairy products and only gluten free products. This is stated on the B&B website but not on the lateroom website where I booked so can understand some of the comments made here.

Saying that I had a great night sleep and a lovely breakfast. I will be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Frome, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I am a local and enjoy popping in for lunch on my days off. The food is fresh and healthy and I feel very price comparable with many other places I have been to. I love the fact there is no wheat or dairy in the food as I have found that the older I have become the more intolerant I am to these products, so I can eat here without feeling bloated or uncomfortable after a meal. I love the variation of herbal teas that are on offer. i would recommend it to everyone but especially if you have wheat or dairy allergies.

Bruton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I am a local to the Lighthouse and pop into "Love in a Cup" teahouse on a regular basis. I love the food as I am gluten and dairy free and the light meals suit me perfectly. All meals are lovingly prepared and tasty. I work full time during the week and don't have much fee time at home for cooking, so I even buy take away frozen meals! I am always greeted with warm and friendly service and it is always a pleasure to visit.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We were disappointed with the food.

It was expensive and not good.

Even though we paid quite a lot, there was not much on the plate and we felt ripped off.

Recommend another place to eat if you stay here.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
The 'Love in a Cup' teahouse is advertised very clearly as gluten & dairy free on our website and marketing material to manage customers' expectations. The focus of the business is on providing nutritious and supportive foods and refreshments. We use unprocessed ingredients and local produce which does raise the price of our meals slightly compared to high street eateries. In the past few months the teahouse was awarded second place in the Taste of Somerset awards, and we can assure potential customers that the quality of food and service is of a very high quality.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have recently stayed at The Lighthouse and I really enjoyed the food that was served. The breakfast, the cakes (gluten and dairy free), the chicken with broccoli and hummus were absolutely amazing. But I have to say that my favorite one was the lamb and squash curry, that was delicious. I even asked them to take home some frozen ones.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Great place to visit, café terrible.

The cake sizes were tiny, the Thai food watery and bland, other things we bought were very poor quality - but its not cheap.

Service was shambolic - unprofessional.

JanetWilliams, Owner at The Lighthouse, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Susan Green, the 'Love in a Cup' Catering Manager, has written the following response:
As the teahouse gets busier, we have needed to bring in new staff who are currently undergoing training; learning the job along the way and gaining experience is part of that. However, our customer service is very important to us, our training is thorough and we endeavor to continue to provide a professional, friendly and warm service. We have a fine range of speciality loose leaf teas and along with our main menu and daily specials, we provide light refreshments like carrot and hazelnut loaf, coconut and almond macaroons, date and walnut bars and hazelnut and pistachio balls to name but a few of our homemade goods. The ingredients we use are always with a nutritional focus, for example we only use almond flour in our baking due to its high nutritional value and natural sweeteners such as agave and honey. We like to use nuts and nut butters in our sweet bites as they are full of nutrients and are an excellent choice if you feel like something sweet and satisfying but will not load you with sugar. Our main courses are varied and we cater for a number of dietary needs. Being a 100% gluten and dairy free tea house we recognise that our customers are able to visit here and feel supported and nourished with the food we have on offer whilst relaxing in its beautiful surroundings.

Been to The Lighthouse? Share your experiences!