“Superb hotel, lives up to its name” 5 of 5 stars

Castle of Comfort Country House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dodington TA5 1LE, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dodington
Manchester
“Superb hotel, lives up to its name”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Returning from our trip to Cornwall, we decided to pull off the M5 at Bridgewater to look for an overnight stay before continuing on to Manchester. A quick look on tripadvisor and this hotel jumped out at us. We 'phoned to check availibility and spoke to Carol who confirmed a vacancy and gave directions to the door. As soon as we arrived, she was at the door to welcome us and help with our luggage. She showed us to room 7 and we were amazed at its size, its decor, and the fantastic bathroom. We have never seen rooms so well equipped for guests. A decanter of sherry, peanuts, biscuits, sweets, a large variety of teas and coffees, shoe shine set, bath robes (and bath sheets instead of those pretend, small, bath towels), radio/alarm, large flat screen TV (with sub title facility for people like me who don't like turning the volume up too loud so as not to disturb fellow guests), tea pot, cafetiere, I could go on! Dinner & service was great, orders being taken in the lounge/bar well equipped with high quality games and puzzles to while away wet afternoons, and the cooking was of a high quality. Breakfast was the same, cooked to order. The staff were warm and friendly and very informative about places around.We could have stayed on for another few days, such was our enjoyment, but sadly this was the last night of our holiday so reluctantly we had to leave. Well done Carol, Nigel and staff.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlooking the gardens are probably quieter than on the front which faces the mai...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for five days at the end of November/beginning of December. It would be so easy to trot out a list of superlatives about this hotel and the owners - so I won't. Instead I would really encourage you to experience the plush hotel and fantastic food for yourselves.
The rooms are fantastic.
The food is gorgeous.
The staff are brilliant.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The attention to detail is and genuine manner is what distinguishes Carol and Nigel from the other establishments in a similar price range in the area. The Castle of Comfort is therefore a place to be strongly recommended.

We stayed here on a very wet November 2012 week-end and were welcomed form the outset by Carol, who greeted us cheerfully at the door, and remembered we were walkers, despite the fact we had booked two months earlier. We were immediately made to feel comfortable, provided with a pot of tea and copious supplies of delicious homemade cakes, and sound advice on where to eat on a winter Sunday evening. As it was raining Carol was even kind enough to give us a lift to and from the pub.

Our room was superb and tranquil with a complimentary decanter of sherry. This is a great base for touring the area and do not be put of by the name which has its origins in the 15th century. There is a huge lounge with comfy sofas and a well stocked bar. Breakfast was both substantial and delicious, consisting of local produce and cooked to order.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed here twice now and both times were fantastic. Lovely rooms at very good prices and the food is cooked to perfection with lovely staff.

I haven't had the chance to walk around but it is situated in a beautiful part of the Somerset countryside

A truly great experience!

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

I think we've just found our newest favourite place to stay. The outside is deceptive and on entering the front door you step into a different world. The inside is well decorated and furnished, the staff really friendly and welcoming. Our bedroom was spacious and really well equipped, the bathroom was modern, clean and had the most fantastic shower. Breakfast was scrummy.
My only complaint was that I wasn't staying longer, it was lovely. I'm really looking forward to being able to go back.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kettering
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I pulled up outside and wasn't even sure it was still operating, as it was covered in scaffolding with a big closed sign on the front door, however once I made it inside the welcome was wonderful, my case was carried up to my room which had a proper key, I do loath the chain hotels credit card style keys.
I had been allocated the bridal suite / family room which was lovely, a big 4 poster bed, a cracking selection of tea, with fresh milk bought up in a flask, no fiddling with tiny UHT pots here and a decanter of sherry.
The bathroom had a wonderful claw foot bath complete with rubber duck and frog, it also had carpet on the floor, not a good idea, but this was spotless, the only gripe with the bathroom was the size of the shower cubicle which was miniscule, hardly room for one, never mind a romantic shower for two.
This hotel is quite a long way outside Bridgwater so I ate in the restaurant, pigeon & leek for starters and baked monkfish & veg for main course, pigeon slightly overcooked and fish slightly undercooked, but both were nice and not unreasonable at £15 for 2 courses.
The lounge has some large comfy sofas in and makes a good place for a drink before dinner or a coffee afterwards.
At 8:20 the next morning I was the last guest left in the hotel, I'm sure this information was given from a point of making conversation, but it did make me feel a bit as though I should hurry up. I had scrambled egg on toast for breakfast and it was delicious.
If I am ever back this way I would stay again, but would I recommend it, yes, if you remember it's not a efficient, souless chain hotel

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Wollaston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed for Four nights and were well taken care of by Nigel and Carol , the rooms were one of the best we have stayed in and the breakfast had something for everybody.The restaurent had a superb menu with a good wine list and we will certainly consider returning in the future.

Room Tip: Note the restaurent is closed on Sunday , Carol did offer to cook us something but everyone needs a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Castle of Comfort Country House? Share your experiences!