“Christmas meal with excellent entertainment” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 47 Restaurants in Clevedon
Cuisines: Chinese, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Private Dining
Description: We are a privately owned restaurant operating since 1992. Junior Poon never been about stars, glitz or gimmicks. It's about the simple old fashion traditional qualities that really matters most to their guests - serving well cooked exquisite classic food with care and attention. It is a venue for people who appreciate fine food, good old fashion friendly service in a stylish yet informal and comfortable elegant surrounding at an affordable price.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Christmas meal with excellent entertainment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

A wonderful meal had by all the family. This was a gift to our parents for Christmas and we all had a lovely time eating delicious food and being entertained by a fine operatic tentor, Tim Pittman. Every time we have a meal at Juniors, we are welcomed by friendly staff and the service they provide is of great standard. We will definitely be enjoying another meal soon.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Junior P, Owner at Junior Poon, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for your 5 Stars review! We always try harder to make each and every occasion a special one for all our guests. Occasional live entertainment is one of the many events we do to create a 'more than special' dining experience. Tim Pitman, our all rounder tenor entertainer never fails to create an impression on all our guests each time he performs! Thank you again and look forward to your next visit.

“Poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

A group of us went to junior poon for a birthday party, having visited a couple of years ago we thought we'd be in for a good feast of food, wrong. The food was very average and bland, you'd definitely get better food from your local takeaway. The portion sizes were small, one of the dishes was a prawn dish with only 3 prawns in and filled with veg. With a couple of drinks each the bill was £40 each, which you don't mind paying for quality food, really gone down hill, disappointed. We left a £10 tip which I thought was generous and the waiter asked if that was all !! Luckily we are all to polite to say anything !

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Junior P, Owner at Junior Poon, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
You must have got the wrong restaurant, whoever you are, Mr. Shuggie?. There will never ever be only three (3) prawns in any of our prawn dishes. My team of staff are proud of their service they provide and will never ever respond to the manner that you claimed! Our most expensive Set Menu which is 4-Course @ £28 each. With couple of drinks your bill was £40 per person; you were definitely somewhere else.
“Anniversary meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband & I had dinner here on Saturday evening. The restaurant was pleasantly busy but the service was great (Lulu, Michael & Max). The food was all nicely presented & delicious. We will be back soon.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Junior P, Owner at Junior Poon, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to hear that you both have enjoyed your evening with us and we look forward to be of service to you again soon in the future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“You need to treat all customers equally!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We had a meal at this restaurant, the food was ok, but we were very disappointed and annoyed when we asked if we were able to change one of the selections off the set menu, this was roundly refused by the owner who said it would not be possible, although it wouldn't have cost him any more to have changed this and make his customers happy, however the next table asked for exactly the same thing and this request was granted by the owner! Could this be something to do with the fact they purchased a bottle of wine and we did not?! This leaves a nasty taste in the mouth! All of the other staff were lovely however.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Junior P, Owner at Junior Poon, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Thank you for taking your time to review us. I am sorry to hear that you left feeling let down. All our Set Menus are for a minimum of two people. As I did explain that unfortunately we are not able to make changes for only one person on a Set Menu which was catered for two people. I remember clearly that the table next to you did ask for changes on a different item on the Set Menu they have chosen and that was done without any issue as the item was change completely for both of them. It was not because of any other reason as you have suggested. We have clearly noted on all our set menus that we are flexible and more than happy to make changes to the menu if our customers would wish to do so. But as our Set Menus are for minimum of two people, changes have to be for a minimum of two people. My only regret is I did not realise you were not happy or may not have understood the explanation that I have given. We have always strive to achieve the best for all our customers creating every occasion with us a special one. I can only apologise now for letting you leave thinking that we have treated you unfairly. I would like to see you again in our restaurant and buy you both a drink for letting you down, perhaps not making it clear in my explanation (about minimum for two). But I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the meal and found my team of staff pleasant and lovely. If you do visit us again, please ask for myself, junior and remind me about this incident for I would like to apologise to you personally for not making myself clear. Hope to be of service to you again. Thank you.
Portishead
“Going down hill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We have been to this restaurant many times over the years but won't go again. We had a takeaway this time. Ribs - chopped up into 1" pieces; bits of bone left in the mouth. Not ribs as I would expect. Peking duck - very good. Sweet and sour pork in batter - the worst I have ever had !. Tiny pieces of pork' the size of small marbles lost in a sea of vegetables (Yes, I know a sea of vegetables is normal) and the sauce exceptionally sweet. And this is one of the most expensive Chinese restaurants in the wider area.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Junior P, Manager at Junior Poon, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. Fortunately after reading your review, I remember your order which I have taken. As explained over the phone and also again when you came back for an evening meal in our restaurant, the ribs that you have ordered were not the ribs that you normally had in the restaurant. As explained, we have Spare Ribs prepared in three different recipes. The one you normally have is the Barbecued Spare which is the dry long ribs but on this occasion you have mistakenly ordered the Braised Spare Ribs with barbecue sauce which is the chopped up version braised with sauce. But I thank you for pointing out the size of the pork cube which admittedly can sometimes be undersized. We have since made changes to it. I am pleased that you have given us another opportunity and has been back since after the take-away issue and accepted our explanation. We hope to be of service to you again soon. Thank you again for taking time to review us.