“Two Night Break” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Clevedon
derbyshire
“Two Night Break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

What a little gem we found here, not just the hotel but the resort of Clevedon.As I am sure most of us travelling down to Cornwall and Devon do,is say thank you for getting through the traffic at Bristol and onwards we go.

On this occasion we stopped and had a great couple of days staying at the Walton Park Hotel,this hotel is in a first class location,very well presented,great sea view from our room,fantastic staff,great breakfast,and above all great value for money.Also need to mention they have real ale in the bar which is unusual but a real bonus.

Clevedon itself is an old fashioned Victorian resort with plenty of character and charisma,very clean,recently refurbished front,great restaurants,pubs,and coffee shops not to mention the pier,there are also some lovely coastal and inland walks.The Neighbering town of Portishead and the City of Bristol are close by and should not be missed.

We will come back for a longer stay and will most definitely stay at the Walton Park Hotel.

Big thanks to all the staff

Room Tip: Room 406,great sea view and spacious.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear denbywilltravel

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that you chose our little gem in the heart of Clevedon for your recent 2 night stay to break up your journey to Cornwall. I was also very pleased to read that you found our staff ‘fantastic’ and that you will certainly be retuning in the future for a longer stay.

Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly to take advantage of our Best Rate Guarantee when you next return.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Shirley, Surrey, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

From the price, reviews, pictures and my experience of these types of hotels we pretty much got what we expected. The Walton is rather old fashioned and, like many hotels if its ilk, could do with updating. By this I mean a freshening up of furniture, bedroom more than public areas, rather than modernisation.

The hotel gets good reviews based on its position and seaviews. Quite rightly so. There's not any access down to sea level from the hotel, as it's very steep, but you can walk/drive along the road to the seafront. It's not that pretty close up, I preferred the views.

So, back to the rooms - we had 403+407. They were ok. An unpleasant smell of drains in 403's toilet which lasted a few hours - don't know what that was about, but at least it cleared. Old beds, lumpy in 407. Lift the skirts round the bed and you'll see what I mean by "old". Generally clean although the tea & coffee spoons and cups needed a bit of a wipe. 407 has a very good view and is a fairly large room. However, the tv is disproportionately small and set high on the wall so bring your binoculars for looking out to sea and catching up on Countdown.

I suppose if I did have a gripe it would be over my restaurant booking. We wanted to eat early as my in laws are aged. 8 o'clock was the earliest we could book as the "restaurant is very busy tonight". I managed to get this down to 7:45. We went to the bar at 6:30, looked in at the restaurant and it was very quiet. At 7:30 I went to the restaurant again to see if I could wangle another 15 minutes off the booked time. It was I empty, we were the first 4 to sit down. Not the end of the world, but rather odd. On the food front, not bad at all, probably above average.

Breakfast was the usual buffet fayre, like the dinner, better than average.

I would recommend this hotel for what it is. In my opinion a slightly dated, but generally decent place that suits the sort of people, like us, who want a short break somewhere near the sea.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cliff36

Thank you for your review. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would recommend our hotel for a short break. Our hotel is indeed a period property with many original and traditional features that our guests enjoy and many of our guest rooms, public areas and gardens offer fantastic views out over the estuary.

I will certainly pass on your comments to the management team at the hotel who I know will be very happy to read them and take any action required to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay for all our guests. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused due to the tea cups and spoons, I can assure you that this was an oversight and has since been rectified.

I was glad to read that you enjoyed both dinner and breakfast in our restaurant and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel and I do hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon.
Upton upon Severn, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The staff were amazing in the run up to our wedding, responding promptly to my numerous emails/questions with very helpful polite answers. They were very accommodating when trying to arrange appointments to meet with the organisers, so by the time it came to the big day i was very relaxed that everything was in hand. The channel pavilion gave us the most beautiful setting for our wedding. Our sit down meal was lovely. We used the Avon and Waverly suites for our reception which have been recently decorated and looked fab, with wonderful views across the channel. The food was served hot,professionally and promptly and no one was left hungry! The puddings in particular were delicious. The resident DJ was great - there were always people on the dancefloor and all our guests were enjoying themselves. Bridal suite was lovely. There were staff on hand throughout the day giving you a service that felt very personal. Wouldn't have changed a thing about the day and we felt the price of our package was very reasonable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear uptonlocal

Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your day with us and found the hotel an ideal wedding venue. I will certainly pass on your kind comments to all the members of our dedicated team that helped make your day so enjoyable and memorable, I know they will be very pleased to read them.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, I do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed here for a one night stopover on a trip to Cornwall. Great location and only about 10 minutes from J20 on the M5. Olde world type of hotel which has been modernised and is quite cozy. We had room 406 which had super estuary views and was clean and tidy. Bar area was ok, but lost points for not having a nice comfortable seating area. Just tables for eating and no atmosphere. A shame as most hotels these days have better facilities for this. We ate in the bar as the restaurant did not open until 7.30 !. Food was ok, but nothing special. A 10 minute walk to the seafront (1 minute by car), to find a couple of nice pubs serving what looked like lovely food, I say looked because we had already eaten in the hotel. In summary, a nice hotel with great staff but let down by the lack of atmosphere. Could not fault the staff though.

Room Tip: Room 406 has estuary views but can not advise further. Quiet at night.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear spookggb

Thank you for your recent review. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location ideal for an overnight stop on your way to Cornwall.

Our dedicated team at the hotel strive to offer excellent customer service and I can see from your comments that you found our staff welcoming, friendly and helpful throughout your stay, I will be sure to pass on your kind comments.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, we do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon.
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stop't at Walton Park Hotel for two nights whilst attending a wedding on the 7&8th September and this is my review.
On arrival we got booked in swiftly after a problem over a room, we stayed in room 406, this was a very large room with lovely views over The Bristol Channel, the room had tea and coffee making facility's, hair dryer, flat screen TV and free WiFi all over the hotel, plus plenty of car parking spaces.
As said in some other reviews the hotel and rooms could do with up-dating as some parts look very dated, but saying that the lift has a charm of its own..
I could not fault the service from all the staff, they really looked after us all and nothing was too much trouble for them, the breakfast you could have a full English or a continental and it was perfect.
The wedding and meal went off without a hitch due to the professional attitude of all the staff and management.
If you are looking for somewhere to stay, this hotel is very quiet, good food, but is a bit dated, I would recommend The Walton, and a big thank you to all the Staff inc the breakfast head waiter and the bar manager.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear padgoj

Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel and staff welcoming and attentive. Our dedicated team pride themselves on the level of customer service they provide and it is always a pleasure to read when we have helped make a guests stay that little more enjoyable and memorable. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the whole team who I know will be delighted to read them.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Walton Park hotel and should you be visiting the area again please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly to take advantage of our Best Rate Guarantee. We do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Very poor food.Badly cooked.Would not recommend.Bread provided stale and when pointed out there was no response.Each single member of party commented on poor quality of cooking.Restaurant largely empty.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear 333Charles

Thank you for your review. I was extremely surprised to read your comments regarding you experience of our restaurant. As you can read from many previous reviews our guests and visitors positively comment on the quality and service they receive when dining with us and it is a rare occurrence when we receive any feedback to the contrary. Should you have asked to see a member of the management team they would have been only too pleased to offer an apology and rectify any concerns.

Our restaurant uses locally sourced and produced ingredients to enhance our seasonal menus and offer a first class dining experience. I can only apologise if your experience fell below expectation and I would kindly ask that you contact the hotel directly so that we can further investigate as to ensure we maintain and improve our services for future guests.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel. We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to experience our hospitality.
Clevedon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Friday 30th August. Had my daughters wedding reception here. The wedding breakfast and the evening buffet were excellent. The food was plentiful and delicious. The staff at the hotel were all friendly, helpful and worked very hard. We would recommend this venue as a great place for wedding parties. We stayed overnight, slept well and enjoyed a lovely breakfast. Special thanks to Paddy & Pat the managers of the hotel. With very special thanks to Dawn, who went over and beyond what you would expect. If we had any more daughters we would definitely use the Walton Park again.

Nick & Carol...

Room Tip: Go for the sea view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Nick B

Thank you for your recent review regarding your daughter’s wedding here at the BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel. I was truly delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed the whole day and found our dedicated staff friendly and helpful along with enjoying both the wedding breakfast and evening buffet.

The management and staff pride themselves on the level of customer service they offer and I will be sure to pass on your comments to the whole team who helped make your daughters special day so memorable and enjoyable.

Thank you for choosing the Best Western Walton Park Hotel and we do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back very soon.

Been to BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!