“Quiet dinner for two” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 94 Restaurants in Bridgwater
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Families with children, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
“Quiet dinner for two”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I recently (16/02/13) made my first visit to Clavelshay Barn, looking for a quality place to eat in the area, something a little special and with a good reputation from other users of this site. To get there we entrusted the satnav and enjoyed a fun drive down muddy lanes in to a farmyard when we were starting to fear the worst, however we're pleasantly surprised when the lane opened to a beautifully lit barn conversion. Firstly I made a reservation on line using their web site, after a few days when I had not heard back I phoned on Friday afternoon to check, a lovely lady answered and confirmed they had my reservation however when we arrived our resignation had vanished from their diary, thankfully even though busy the host sat us straight away at a table upstairs, this was handled very well considering the nightmare that could of ensued.
The building was lovely with wood beams and lovely modern/ traditional feel, the menus were digested and we decided to at least attempt three courses by sharing a starter and pudding.
The terrine came out looking lovely and tasted good, the ribeye steak was amazing with wonderful veg and horseradish mash, the rhubarb and ginger brûlée was good and they even gave us a scoop of their home made ginger ice cream on the side (we did ask as it was on a different desert on the menu).
All in all the food was of a good standard, so what was wrong? Well on paper nothing, but there was a distinct lack of atmospheare and personality in the place, I like to enjoy the feel of a special night out but instead we were sat in a restaurant full of tables of two only (possibly because it was two days after valentines day) with everyone whispering to their partner, the staff spoke to us in the required places but no more, there was to laughter, chatter or enjoyment, just quiet appreciation it had the feel of sitting down to dinner in a library with out books or even an old village hall. I am sure this would feel much better if there was a couple of birthday tables of 6 + so I think we were just unlucky. Also when you book (and I think 1you should give it a go) ask to sit upstairs, as the downstairs looks like the poor relation in comparison, the decor and feel of not quite finished and the toilets are in the corner "behind the decorative screen" or wicker fence in my words, when in the toilet you can hear people siting enjoying their dinner outside, I hate to think what they can hear.
Sorry for my ramblings but if you are after good quality food fresh from the farm this place won't let you down and it wasn't to expensive 1x starter 2xribeye 1x pudding 1x large red wine + tip all for £60.

Somerset
“We've been before and we will being going again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

As before, we had a great meal with a really pleasant atmosphere. All the staff give a warm and welcome approach. The menu changes monthly and has just enough to choose from, all fresh local products served to a high standard. The location is a little out of the way, but well worth a visit.....

• Visited February 2013
Bath
“Amazing Roast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We popped in for Sunday lunch on the recommendation of our family who live close by and had an amazing lunch. We had starters which were good but nothing compared to the size and quality of the roast beef we had for main. The sheer volume of beef was pretty impressive not to mention the size of the yorkshire pudding! The veg was also delicious and varied and incredible value for under £10! The service and setting were also of a very high standard and we shall be back again if we're in the area!

• Visited February 2013
Taunton, Somerset
“Excellent food, excellent service and a 'refreshing' setting!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We've eaten at some great places in and around Taunton over the years - The Willow Tree and Augustus, for example - but picked Clavelshay Barn based on internet reviews for my wife's birthday. We weren't disappointed at all. Driving/sliding through the snowy Quantock Hills (misguidedly) we were glad to find the spot; albeit having to park on an icy, sloping car park! As you can imagine it was vey cold and, with a friendly welcome, we were kindly seated next to the chunky radiator downstairs. However, the room was still pretty cold and this somewhat took the edge off our experience. But, apart from this, everything else was 'spot on' and I felt my choice of venue was totally correct. The service was personal without being overbearing; the food was outstanding - tasty, wonderfully presented and good portions: the venue was rustic and full of charm; and the prices were fine - realistic for the quality that 'oozed' from each dish. It makes me smile when people moan about the price on TripAdvisor. I have no problem paying £15+ if the food, service and setting are as good as this! Will certainly come back when it's a bit warmer...

Shanghai, China
“Fantastic!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I ate here on a number of occasions last year and had my wedding reception here, as mentioned on a previous review. I was lucky enough to be back in the UK briefly over Xmas and had lunch at Clavelshay one Sunday and dinner one Saturday. The food is always superb! I especially love the goats cheese starters....the best EVER and I've tried a large variety! My other favourite is the pork, whether it be the Sunday roast or pork belly that was on the Saturday dinner menu...they're both perfection! The wine list is stunning with a great selection from all over the world and Sue only chooses ones that she likes herself, which definitely means they're excellent as she has fab taste! Sue the owner is amazing and so is everyone else in her team, always smiley, helpful and very welcoming. The barn itself is wonderful with local artwork displayed all around. During the summer it's also great to sit outside in the sun overlooking the Quantock hills...you can't beat it!