“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 30 Bridgwater B&B and Inns
North Petherton, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Had a fantastic meal here. The staff were really friendly, they couldn't do enough for us. The food was brought out very quickly and at a very high standard! The owner came to check we were happy and chatted with us... A very nice man. He even gave me a free dessert - a double portion! We had a lovely evening and will definitely go back soon!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Preston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

After staying in this hotel - I am wondering if we stopped in the same hotel as the people who have posted glowing comments. I totally agree with all the negative comments which are a true reflection of our stay. The friendly staff reported by other people must have been on their night off - as we encountered the most disinterested staff on the planet. The place was almost deserted on a Friday night which should have sounded alarm bells.
The hotel service appears to follow the Fawlty Towers theme - with guests being treated as a major inconvenience. We asked if we needed to make a reservation for a meal and the barmaid looked around the almost empty room and muttered that they could fit us in. What a joke - we only saw one other couple eating. The service at the bar probably explained why the pub was so empty, as on ordering a gin and tonic, we were advised that there were no bottles of tonic. What kind of pub runs out of tonic waters on a Friday night!!!! And was the barmaid really serious when she offered an alternative mixer of a bottle of sparkling water or soda water from the dispenser!!!
The food lived up to our low expectations - I had a rack of ribs which was dry and tasteless as was the chicken and bacon salad chosen by my wife. Accepting that this hotel might not have been our best choice - we set off to look for another - but after failing to find an alternative pub within easy walking distance - we reluctantly returned to this place. The bar was now even emptier - but at least the barmaid had rustled up some tonic waters. But now she had run out of ice! We chose to see the funny side of the experience - until I returned to the bar to get another drink - well before 10:00PM. The bar was now totally empty - all lights off and no bar staff. I did however encounter the owner / manager who was petting a large dog in the bar area. He appeared reluctant to speak to me - and when he did, he reluctantly agreed to supply another round - but added the proviso that "I am not stopping up much longer" OH MY GOD - we were now being sent to bed like some errant children. Bear in mind we are both well into our 50's and not prone to drunken revellery. We retired to bed early - sober - to watch a bit of television. After a bit of hunting we managed to find a small TV suspended on the wall - half hidden by the wardrobe. Unfortunately, we had forgotten our binoculars - so opted to use the free WIFI -- but discovered that this only works in the bar area -- WHICH WAS NOW CLOSED! We had planned to accept the offer of a cooked breakfast but decided we couldn't stand another disappointment. Good job we didn't have to explain why to the staff -- as no one seemed interested that we were checking out. Ignore the good comments and concentrate on the similarities in the complaints - we cannot all be wrong.

Yeovil, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Travelling on my own as a women can be daunting, however the staff at The Boat & Anchor were extremely friendly and made me me comfortable straight away a member of staff helped me with my bag and showed me to my room, which had everything i needed and was clean.I was extremely happy at the choice of food on the menu, I enjoyed a lovely fresh Greek salad and lamb shank in the restaurant and had a good night sleep in my room, would definitely recommend for any one staying in the area,a really good friendly traditional pub. I am looking forward to visiting again and to try some of the other dishes on the menu!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

On arrival I was greeted by warm and welcoming staff I had a very long and bad day so really just wanted to go to my room which the young lady was more than helpful I was helped with my bags upstairs and what a surprise my room was lovely I had a marvellous look over the canal and the room was clean what more could I ask for. The food was a little pricey but was worth it I had the homemade cottage pie it was beautiful. Overall what a lovely place everyones so friendly and such a warm atmosphere will definitely be back. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed June 2013
Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

very plesant stay, helpful friendly staff and welcoming atmosphere. Good beer and breakfast! a little hard to find (with tomtom). the only place i've stayed with its own swing bridge access! some work in progress obvious so future accomidation will be on canal.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a large wedding party. Travelled via train to bridgwater and then via taxi. Upon arrival the location was lovely and first impressions were that it was tired but clean. Went up to the bar and was charged £9 for 2 ciders, asked to check into room but was told to wait by the grumpy girl behind the bar to wait so we sat at table directly in front of bar waiting. When we finished our drinks we approached the bar again only to be told we had no booking even though we had received email confirmation and they had received payment. Payment was returned with no apology or offer to ring around to help us find alternative accommodation. We thought we were going to miss the wedding, which was in 2 hours time, trying to find a bed for the night. Thankfully some other guests offered to share a room so we could have theirs. We arrived in the room which was adequate except for the saniflow toilet which sounded like a plane taking off. we went down for breakfast the following morning and i asked for a cooked vegetarian breakfast, i was served one fried egg, half of tomato and a spoon of beans!!! Couldn't wait to leave the place and will not be staying again

• Stayed June 2013
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Called in for Sunday lunch with friends on a lovely sunny day. We were so impressed with the food, the layout of the conservatory, outside seating and the very friendly staff and manager. We live local so have since returned having a very well cooked steak meal and we also took my parents there on fathers day.
Would definitely recommend.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Boat & Anchor inn? Share your experiences!