“A very friendly and comfortable welcome” 4 of 5 stars

Apple View & Bramley Lodge
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Chedzoy Lane, Bridgwater TA7 8QR , England   |
Ranked #27 of 30 Bridgwater B&B and Inns
London
“A very friendly and comfortable welcome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

Apple View Lodge is well located within central Somerset for Glastonbury, Wells etc and I would recommend it as a base to stay for a couple of nights. We received a very warm welcome from the owner Judith with a cup of tea and homemade cake - just what's needed after a long drive. We were given a choice of rooms - one on the ground floor which is kitted out for disabled visitors and one upstairs which was lovely but rather compact. My husband is a very tall chap so we plumped for the downstairs room which was considerable large and also a family room with an extra single bed in it.

Plus points - Judith was incredibly helpful and friendly and breakfast were great - a lot of the produce fresh from the farm. The decor was lovely and the B&B guests have their own annex of the house with a comfortable living room/breakfast room in which to relax with TV and wifi.

Negative points - maybe our room wasn't used too much, but there was unsightly damp mould patches in the bathroom and a creeping chill that invaded the bedroom from the cold damp bathroom - even with the heating on at night and it was actually quite warm weather! Now the whole point of staying anywhere is to get a good nights sleep and we both found the bed uncomfortable - the mattress wasn't great, but passable. What we were really surprised about is that they used blankets and sheets - they were heavy, uncomfortable and not very warm - we felt pinned to the bed by the sheer weight. I was cold in the night and although there was yet another spare blanket in the wardrobe - I couldn't put it on as it would just be a dead weight ontop of me. My suggestion - update to a duvet and purchase a mattress topper!!!! Also my husband booked the B&B, but he didn't look closely enough at the room pictures, so being very tall he couldn't lie straight in the bed as his feet would hit the metal bedstead frame at the end of the bed.

Regardless of the bed situation, we did have a lovely stay. Maybe one of the other rooms would be more comfortable?

Room Tip: Ask for a duvet
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
pinkjudy69, Owner at Apple View & Bramley Lodge, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
Hi can I say it was a pleasure to meet you both. We are glad that you were pleased with your welcome and Breakfast but sorry about the other issues you mention. The damp mentioned in the bathroom has already been dealt with it was a problem that had dealt with before and hopefully this time will have a permanent solution. We are at this point in time going through a period of redecoration and refurbishment you will have noticed that the upstairs double has already undergone and hopefully during May the downstairs room will follow. We are careful in our advertiseing nowhere have advertised as spacious as we are aware that the double upstairs is compact, that said many people have enjoyed their stay in this particular room which does have the plus point of haveing the best view and whist compact the warmest bathroom you will find anywhere. Also both rooms are pictured on our web-site. The issue of balnkets or sheets is a matter i am happy to debate - if customers prefer a duvet it is something i would be more than happy to move to. The reason i use blankets and cotton sheets is that they are made of natural fibres and can be washed - the duvet itself would be impracticle to wash every time and therefore i feel rather unhygienic given the fact that people tend to snuggle up in them and bring them up round their faces. Maybe a vote is required! I think this comes down to what you are used to but again we do make a point in our advertiseing that we currently use blankets and sheets. I am sorry to hear that you felt that the bed was uncomfortable we have generally had good reports about the mattress in fact I slept in it myself only 2 - 3 weeks ago for 3 nights and didn't find it uncomfortable - maybe this is personal taste - but again in the double upstairs this has a new pocket sprung mattress topped with memory foam -this I have also slept in and personaly wasn't sure about that - we are awaiting futher comments from guests as they leave as to how they find it befor we change the next one - again i think this may be a personal thing. I appreciate you husband is rather tall and this may have been a problem in a bed with foot boards and maybe this is something that may need pointing out on the web-site - I hope this answers your concerns. Many thanks for your comments which have been most constructive - we do appreciate the feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

I have stayed at Apple View regularly and have experienced nothing other than a friendly and welcoming greeting, together with tea and cake on arrival. . Whilst the rooms are not large the furnishing and presentation is excellent. This famly run establishment offers an excellent traditional english breakfast using local produce, The host Judith Denning is a very helpful and knowledgeable lady on the Somerset area. My wife has also stayed at Apple View and finds it a very welcoming friendly and peaceful area to stay. Hopefully we will be able to go back again.
Thanks Les & Carol Williams

Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Hythe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

Have the full english home cooked breakfast it makes the stay even more enjoyable

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

I have had the opportunity of staying at several B&B's in the area as I am over in Somerset quite often on business.

I have stayed at Apple View on half a dozen occasions over the last 18 months.

Sometimes overnight and sometimes several days at a time.

I have always been more than satisfied with my visits. I always receive a warm welcome and the owners make sure that they fit in with my often erratic schedules.

I have freedom to come and go as I please and they leave me to my own devices.

I have to say that I particularly love the breakfasts which are cooked to order at a time convenient to me

I am looking forward to further stays there in the coming months

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Apple View & Bramley Lodge? Share your experiences!