“So, so sad but we will not be returning to this hotel despite its beautiful location.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of T'yn y Cornel Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added T'yn y Cornel Hotel to your Saves list
T'yn y Cornel Hotel
Tywyn, Tal-y-llyn, Snowdonia National Park LL36 9AJ, Wales   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Tal-y-llyn B&B and Inns
Aberearon Wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We have been regular visitors to this hotel for many years and seen it go through its up and downs. Now it has been finally bought I fear the new people simply have no idea. Nothing has visibly changed and the rooms are still drab and tired, as is the whole hotel to be honest both inside and out. Also we saw no real sign of the great deep cleaning operation as mentioned in a previous response and looking at the hotel's very low score on the official food hygiene rating website alarmed us greatly. It appears it has been like that for nearly 18 months now and we just wonder why the kitchens not been inspected again?
The minimal staff did their best but seemed listless and certainly lacked any motivation. It seems having overheard various negative conversations the owners live miles away in England and have another place whose recent reviews on here do not bode well for the future of their new enterprise at Talyllyn.
The manager of the Tynycornel can vertainly write a good management response to previous TripAdvisor criticisms but its sad to report that we feel he cannot cook that well as when he was on kitchen duty many of us sent our evening meals back and we had to look elsewhere to dine for the next night. Mercifully we struck lucky at a smaller local establishment I feel many like us are sure to visit again.
It is all just so very sad as this is such an amazing spot and the Tynycornel Hotel deserves better. Sadly we, and others we spoke to, will not be returning to this once great hotel.

Room Tip: Tip: Avoid!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Bridgnorth,England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have just returned from a weekend at this hotel. It changed hands about 6 weeks ago and the new owners are going flat out to get it back to a good standard after its chequered recent history. Four of us went, two couples, the men went fishing and the ladies walked and shopped. Staff are working hard to get the lake back to scratch but it will take time. We caught twelve brown trout between us on the day we fished but it is hard fishing as the lake is badly weeded up. It should be a lot better by next year and the man in charge is excellent, very helpful indeed and an experienced fisherman. They are stocking on a fortnightly basis.
The hotel is tired but you can only do so much in six weeks and they make up for this with the service, the food and the warm, friendly atmosphere.
We had a lovely weekend and are planning to go next May/June with a group of our friends.
Good luck to the new owners and well done for the effort you are making.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room if it bothers you that the standard rooms are a bit 'tired'.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Called for what we'd hoped would be a nice lunch on an lovely autumn day- but were served an absolutely awful pea and ham 'soup of the day'. Tired,tired decor - weed-strewn car park, rubbish piled up in skips. It seems the hotel is under new-ownership (see earlier entries) but it takes little effort to correct matters such as this. I find the new owners earlier comments on the inherent fly problem quite surreal really - the place is so typical of the poor standards seen in such places in this country, we must learn to take this business seriously. Such a waste of an idyllic position - siapwch lan!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I've been lucky enough to have had a static caravan at nearby Woodlands, Bryncrug (first was 28 years ago). Great fun but when I've wanted a really pleasant, informal night with great food the Tyn y Cornel was the place to go.
I had "vans" at Woodlands for many years, making the 130 mile trip twice a month, often more......but always used the Tyn y Cornel for that bit of luxury.
I've stayed at the Tyn y Cornel "between" vans so on some occasions enjoyed a couple of nights with b&b&evening meal. Great value and very happy with the service/food/room....esp the suite....its like a small bungalow! Not sure if Beth-anne is still there but she's brilliant.
Two years ago I had a horror visit with my Partner. Yes, unaired room, dirty linen (human stains)....broken heating. It really wasn't nice. I complained by letter and had "no reply" for an answer. Not to be outdone I did a Company House search and got the names of the individuals who owned the Limited Co and its chain of other hotels. Writing to their home addresses did get a response (surprise!) and I had a replacement break on terms I was happy with. That visit was back up to scratch. Mind you, I did get a tale of woe from the acting Manager who gave me chapter and verse regarding what was happening behind the scenes.
I'm shortly to take a break from work....I tell my customers that "I'm going to find a field in Wales and scream!" (its been busy). When I've had my 5 mins yell at the top end of Dolgoch Falls I'm looking forward to putting my feet up at the Tyn y Cornel. (haven't booked yet but next few days I will)
Somebody will be trying to get this wonderful place back up to scratch given what I've read above. If there's something you aren't happy with.....just talk to the staff. They are locals, care about their part of the World, are so friendly and want to please us, the tourists.
For me, I've only been using the hotel for the last 28 years, admittedly irregularly, but one rotten visit two years ago (compensated for) isn't putting me off!
Unhappy punters might prefer Cockroach infested hotels in Benidorm as a better alternative but give me peace at the Tyn y Cornel anytime.
Andy Toohig

Room Tip: Front rooms and annexe face the main road which has the odd noisy truck pass at night. Recommend th...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Conwy, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife had booked this hotel as a stop off on the way home after a few nights further south in a wonderful B&B. The B&B we stayed in had a "Good Hotel Guide" and the Tynycornel was featured with pictures and write up. The description and pictures looked fantastic - wonderful location, views, atmosphere and food, a perfect end to our break and an exciting punctuation to our trip home...or so we thought. Upon arrival all looked excellent - shining sun and a location to take your breath away. We checked in and opened the door to our room (number 3 top of the stairs). Fusty, dirty, tired and dirty. It smelt damp and unused. A family room for a couple with no view other than a tiled roof from a hotel noted for its "breathtaking views" the bed was located in a dark light-less corner. The bathroom was dilapidated, dirty and unwelcoming. The windows held countless dead green fly and mosquitoes - awful. We asked to be shown to another room. This was done without complaint and it was explained that the hotel had been recently taken over from administration. The "alternative room" on first inspection looked better, a small annexed room (Number 4 The Cormorant) - however upon closer inspection the same infestation of dead green flies - at least 200+ all dead on the window sills and caught in the window nets. The bath plug had an abundance of human hair hanging from it. The shower had black & pink grout and a very mildew aroma. Sheets were dirty and holed. This hotel has seen better days indeed. Cleanliness costs nothing even if the rooms are tired. Having just come out of administration should they not strive to avoid the pitfalls that can ruin a hotel? You never get a second chance to make a first impression - this place is awful - avoid at all costs. It is such a pity as the hotel could be so much more.

Room Tip: My tip to choose a good room is - find a different hotel - this one stinks!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
EdJDavies, Manager at T'yn y Cornel Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to review us on here.

Having spoken to the staff I can now comment. I can agree that room 3 does indeed need bringing up to date, but it certainly is kept clean, as are the other rooms. As I have previously commented, our housekeepers are working to deep-clean every room, and this is one they had done. Having stayed in the room myself, there views are of the tiled roof of the restaurant. One of the first changes to the website was to make it clear that not all the rooms have views of the lake and that it should be specified at the time of booking if this was important (to some people it is, others use the rooms purely to sleep in between fishing!)

As you quite rightly point out, we immediately offered you another room - a superior double in the new annex. Again I have to dispute the cleanliness of the room - our sheets are not 'dirty and holed', the bath did not have 'an abundance of human hair' and while there were flies on the windowsill, nowhere near '200+'.

The hotel is a fly-fishing hotel, with over 200 acres of lake. The reason why the fishing is so good on the lake is it's location, ideal for flies. I have inspected a room immediately after it being cleaned, only to check it again a couple of hours later to find a number of flies - unfortunately the solutions we've tried so far haven't worked. We are trying to find a workable solution that won't affect the popular fishing lake, and ask our guests to understand that there will be flies around a fly-fishing lake.

Sadly not all customers are understanding - as shown by the final 2 sentences written by a reviewer who choose not to stay (we didn't charge them the room or their deposit) and spent less than an hour with us, yet took the time to strip the beds down and remove all the complementary tea and coffee sachets. I hope other customers will see the exaggerations in this review for what they are.

We will continue to improve the business, taking on board all feedback, and as the comments from locals who pass by daily and regular customers testify, we are moving in the right direction.

Ed Jenkin-Davies and family
Banbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Lovely setting for this hotel on the edge of the beautiful Talyllyn lake and just under the majestic Cadre Idris.
Despite the new owners having been there less that a week, all the staff were friendly and helpful. The food choice for dinner was a bit limited, but I think that will improve as the new staff settle in. Breakfast was excellent.
Only downside was we only stayed 1 night, will go back and stay longer next time.

Room Tip: Get a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
EdJDavies, Manager at T'yn y Cornel Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are currently working with our chef and staff to develop a popular seasonal menu, trying different dishes regularly. We hope you come again - our new-look website will soon be launched and will have the menus on it.

Good to hear the staff are being friendly and helpful - such an important aspect of the business.

Ed
Frome, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We arrived on Friday afternoon and immediately were made to feel very much at home. We were shown to our room which was very clean and adequate. We then decided to have some afternoon tea enjoying the stunning views of the lake from the picture windows in the lounge. Other members of our family were also staying in the area and at short notice decided they would like to join us for dinner that evening - this did not pose any problem for the hotel and a table soon laid up. In all there were 9 of us who all enjoyed an excellent 3 course dinner with plenty of choice and cooked to perfection. Breakfast at the hotel was also very good and set us up for the day - again plenty of choice.
The new owners of this idyllic hotel are trying very hard to bring this business back up to standard and given the chance will do just that. We have no complaints and will return. Special thanks to Geraint who was so helpful and nothing was too much trouble. A great guy!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review - we're glad you enjoyed your stay and your family meal and hope to see you again.

Been to T'yn y Cornel Hotel? Share your experiences!