“What an unexpected find - I am so pleased that I went for that lakeside walk!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Old Rectory on the Lake

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tal-y-llyn
The Old Rectory on the Lake
You added The Old Rectory on the Lake to your Saves list
Talyllyn, Tal-y-llyn, Snowdonia National Park LL36 9AJ, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Tal-y-llyn B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“What an unexpected find - I am so pleased that I went for that lakeside walk!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

I noticed this amazing place while I was staying at a hotel opposite …. at night The Old Rectory on the lake was lit in blue and its reflection in the still waters was just incredible. Next morning I asked the receptionist what the building was across the lake and she told me it was a private home …. lucky owners I thought! Just before I left the area I decided to go for a walk round the lake and I then discovered that the building I so admired at night was in fact a five star bed and breakfast. I picked up their brochure and I now write this review after a superb return visit to Talyllyn. So much better than my last experience in the area. Everything that has been posted here before is so, so true and this place is an utter find. Do try it for yourself …. you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Just go and try this amazing place for yourself!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, September 3, 2011
Daz, many thanks for this. I am amazed that the receptionist across the water said we were a private home as we bought The Old Rectory from her hotel six years ago to set up a five star bed and breakfast establishment and have been busy doing just that ever since! Anyway at least you have discovered us now and we are so pleased that your second visit and stay in the area was much more memorable. As you know we do light the place up in blue at night and many have commented favourably on the reflections as seen from the other side of the lake.
John - joint owner.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Nantwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Just got back from a weekend at the Old Rectory after a friend recommended the place to us. I had read the reviews and looked at the photos and was not disappointed. The drive to The Old Rectory is beautiful and very dramatic. The accommodation is spotlessly clean. We were in The Retreat which was very spacious and the view across the lake from the room was beautiful. We had the 4 course dinner on the Saturday night which was absolutely gorgeous. I will definately be visiting again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Since we have been on Trip Advisor there is no doubt that this really has encouraged folk to come and stay with us. We are grateful that afterwards many take the time and effort to leave comments and post photos and we both are pleased that your stay lived up to what you had read on here. You are so right the views from our windows are beautiful - whatever the weather. We hope to welcome you both back to The Old Rectory on the lake.
John and Ricky - joint owners
tredegar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

this place has the perfect location and the rooms are totally superb the food is some of the best we have ever had the hosts are very helpfull we highly recommend a visit

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, September 4, 2011
What an amazing review - thanks so much and we were so pleased that you returned to stay with us. Your kind comments again about my food are very much appreciated.
Kind regards to you both,
Ricky - chef and joint owner.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We couldn't have wished for a better location - no traffic, in the middle of nowhere and stunning views. Dinner is a must, excellent value - 4 courses, all beautifully presented.
We were very well looked after - service is great.

Room Tip: Try for Mynydd Rugog room and 1st floor of the house amazing views and huge bathroom!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
We are so happy we were able to supply you with the three 'Ps' - picturesque, peaceful and perfect! It was our pleasure to have you to stay and I am pleased that you enjoyed what I provided at dinner.
Ricky - chef and joint owner.
Debrecen, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I spent a few days at the Old Rectory with some friends and frankly, I couldn't have chosen a better place for our holiday. We couldn't believe the scenery when we got out of the car and it got even better when we looked out of the window the next morning! We meant to do as lot of hiking and the paths to the mountains are literary a minute away from the house, so it was perfect. We jumped into the hottub after a day's hike and it was simply to die for - drinking Champagne under the stars!! (We even swam in the lake, God, was that cold...) The hosts made us feel at home right away and they were indeed most helpful and entertaining giving us tips and telling us funny stories about the area... (They even showed us a few videos of the lake and the house, really professional stuff.) We felt so comfortable and at ease at the Old Rectory and were so spoilt that we are sure we'll come back! Don't miss out on this B&B experience! Thanks, John and Ricky

Room Tip: Mynydd Rugog is the best room
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Mark, what an enthusiastic review and we just so flattered that you rate us as 'the best bed and breakfast' that you have ever stayed in. It is always a pleasure to welcome guests here from other countries and we are glad that you - and your friends - enjoyed The Old Rectory on the lake experience so much. You are all also to be congratulated that you did not just stay on the lake, you went in it! It appears you Hungarians are a hardy lot! Do come back and see us and in the meantime I must try and find some more funny stories to tell about this incredible area!
John - joint owner
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

My wife, daughter and I ended a ten day holiday in Wales with an amazing weekend stay at the Old Rectory on the Lake. The plan was to meet up with friends for my first ever "Race The Train".

From the moment we arrived we were blown away by the setting, the hotel and the staff...i'll get to the food as that deserves a paragraph on it's own!

Over the years I have travelled worldwide for business and pleasure but I have never completed a review but I felt I had to after last weekend in Wales.

John, Ricky & Mike were fantastic hosts and instantly made us all feel at home. The quality of the accommodation is of the highest standards. We had the Rectory Retreat for the weekend which had the most breathtaking views and was a great size for the three of us.

The food.......unbelievable! Surpassed many a pricey West End meal i've had with Ricky adding a special pre race pasta dish for the runners, my wife had the beef which I sampled. The breakfasts too were wonderful with the eggs benedict being cooked to perfection.

As for the 14 mile cross country run against a steam train packed with supporters, great day out. Four of us completed the course but only one of us beat the train....I was last!

Hope to be back next year and thanks again John, Ricky & Mike for a great weekend.

Paul, Tracy & Emma

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
We are well flattered that your weekend stay here has encouraged you into writing your first review ever of a place - and what an appreciative one too! To be honest I am rather lost for words as how to respond apart from to say that it was my pleasure to cook for you all and I am just staggered you thought my food 'surpassed many a pricey West End meal'. Thank you for your kind words.
Do not be discouraged by your time Racing the Train. The conditions were far from ideal and just finishing it was an achievement. It was my fourth time and although I notched up a personal best the train still beat me by over three minutes. However I am determined to do it next year - want to join me?
Ricky - chef, runner and joint owner.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We spent two nights , the position and views are absolutely stunning . The Craig Loch room was 5 star , and evening meals were 1st. class .
All in All if you enjoy luxury at a very reasonable price you must visit .
Michael Walker .

Room Tip: Craig Loch Room Faultless
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Snowdoniatraveller, Manager at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Hello Michael. Thanks for choosing The Old Rectory on the lake for your stay in southern Snowdonia. We're really pleased that you enjoyed it here and thanks so much for such a glowing endorsement. Hope to see you again here some time.
Kind regards,
John - joint owner

Been to The Old Rectory on the Lake? Share your experiences!