“Totally unsatisfactory!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Naughty Nell's

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shifnal
Naughty Nell's
You added Naughty Nell's to your Saves list
1 Park Street, Shifnal TF11 9BA, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Shifnal
Shropshire
“Totally unsatisfactory!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

I booked a double room for some friends to come and stay in Shifnal for my partners birthday, some other friends also booked rooms, there were 3 of them (5 including the ones I booked in) they also booked 2 doubles. At 8pm the night before their stay one of the 3 recieved a call to say that her room had been double booked and that they could no longer offer her a double but they could give her a single, which she accepted. Due to this I called to check that the room I had booked, was still availiable and was told that there was not a booking in the name I had given at all!. I was then offered a twin room, which I agreed on as it was only needed for 1 night. Everyone managed to book in and quite liked the quirkyness of the place. However the following morning they contaced me to tell me that they had left their rooms for breakfast and found the place completely deserted and no breakfast and they were unable to get out of the building!! In the end they manged to leave via the fire exit, this was about an hour after that had got up, and they had still not seen a single member of staff!!!!, Being local to Naughty Nells, I am aware that there is a pub below the hotel that is open till 2am on the weekends and it would appear that the hotel staff are also the bar staff for the pub ( when calling to check the bookings, the girl I spoke to had obviously been woken by my call at 11.15am, I was told they didn't open till 12pm and to call back!) If they are unable to provide a cooked breakfast on a weekend, then surely it would be good policy to inform their guests when booking and provide an alternative or maybe better still, the owner should consider employing staff purely for the running of the hotel. It's a shame really as the rooms seemed very nice and the place has loads of charm but is severley let down by it's staff!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

Chatteris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Naughty Nell's it was exactly as I hoped it would be It had all the character you would expect from a building of that age. When we arrived we were met by Charlie with her pleasant beautiful little face she booked us in and helped to carry the luggage to our room. We had the king Charles four poster suite for three nights. When we came down to the bar we had drinks served by Charlie and later dinner cooked and served by Charlie, she was everywhere doing everything with a beautiful smile on her face. We had a walk around the town and a few drinks then came back to Charlies bar for the disco it got very busy but very good, I was admiring how smart the staff looked when I noticed this beautiful pair of fishnets who was in them ? Charlie again she had changed and was serving in the bar until 2am clearing up after til 4am and down cooking full English breakfast at 9am. What a lady and what a place it was the best weekend I'd had for years.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Oxfordshire England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed here on the night of Aug 5th, although the building was a nice "character half timbered inn" severall aspects need immediate attention!

The first room I was offered was one of the appartments across the road. (#15)
The building had a distinctly "unfinished" air, the boiler was inoperative (no hot water) and the door lock jammed shut thus trapping me in the room!

I was then offered the "Teddy Bear" room which seemed nice though a bit small.
However it turned out to be noisy. Firstly from traffic going by (a symptom of modern life).

Secondly from the "paper thin walls" allowing all the noises from the people in the next room through, (squeeky beds snoring etc).

Thirdly the room wasn't cleaned to a very high standard, and the loo seat was broken.

Lastly when I went down to breakfast at the prescribed time. (8-9, but the room notice said 7:30 on). There were no staff anywhere to be found!

I had to help myself to cold cereal and juice (both the juice and milk were tepid).
When I left for my meeting at 8:30 am there were still no staff around so I was forced to leave the room keys on the bar and let myself out!

In short GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, nice place shame about the service...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
west midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

we arrived at the time i was given and there we was greeted by charlie shown to our rooms so we could settle for the night before our evening meal which i have to say is well worth the money talk about value for money the food was great and the cookn and manager was friendley to,...... after we ate we had a few drinks then brought our tickets for the ghost hunt that evening which i have to say was excellent we were put into a group with the medium called lorraine we went from room to room where i took pictures and the orbs on them were ace then we did a circle she picked up on my dad and nan i had never spoken to lorraine before let alone talk to her she was the best medium i have ever met the things she told me personally no one could have known and i have since learned that on the 27th off june the same group are holding a psychic fair with readings at 20 pounds i will be the first in the cue to have a reading from lorraine i would like to say a big thank you for a great evening....... thank you

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Harrogate, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night to see my sister playing in a major basketball game. My parents booked a hotel in Telford in advance however we were unable to afford this so got my mum to find us somewhere cheaper. We were slightly worried after reading the bad reviews on the place my mum had booked for us but kept an open mind.
The place was very easy to find - on the main street in shifnal and after already seeing a picture of the place you couldnt miss it. We were a bit unsure of which door to enter but entered through the resturant to find the reception at the bar. We were greated warmly and friendly by what we assumed was the manager she then got another staff member to show us to our room. As the house is an old building the staircases were narrow and uneven so unsuitable for older guests but added to the charm. The room holding the bed in was small but plenty of room for one or two nights stay as there was enough floor space at the end o the bed for suitcases. There wasnt a wardrobe but coat hangers on hooks if you needed to hang anything up. the bath room was spacious. you had to crouch to get through the door to the loo but you could stand up once inside. We were in the star jacuzzi room so our bathrrom has a few stars leading up to a separate bit with the jaccuzzi bath in which did have a pink line along it but other than that it was clean. We did find some toenail clipping on the bedside table but we jus laughed at it coz things like that dont bother us too much. Our TV was fine however we could here the people in the room next door watching TV but that was fine. There was a kettle, tea and coffee which we made full use of in the morning.
We went to the hotel resturant which we really enjoyed. The food was great and so different from what we would normally eat. it was mongolian and you chose your meat, veg, spices and sauce and put it in a bowl and handed it to the chef who cooked it on a big iron slate thing. You added chips, noodles or rice and you could go back as many times as you wanted for a tenner. We got our first drinks on the house as we were staying there but i do't know if they always do this.
We went for a walk round shifnal and found wine bars and pubs, the crowd in here was much older than ourselves so we thought the atmosphere would suit our parents more. theres were plenty of resurants and takeaways if you didnt want mongolian. There were also convience stores and a wine shop if you wanted something for the room.
We headed to the bar/club ajoining to the resurant which is open fridays and saturdays and found it to be busy as it was the only club in the town. The crowd were older than ourselves but the music was modern which we enjoyed. we could here the music as we went to sleep as it didnt finish til 2 and we had the window open but once asleep it didnt bother us
As we were leaving early we requested breakfast early and they sorted us out. We thought we would only get continental as we were leaving early but were given a full english of bacon, sausage, beans and a fried egg. We helpd ourselves to toast, cereal, fruit, orange juice and hot drinks and we very happy.
Overall we both enjoyed our stay and if we were ever in the area again we wouldnt hesitate to go back. We loved the quirky fun style and loved having a different experience to our usual and would definety recomend it if your wanting something a little different.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
kent
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

My son was staying in a nearby village, so I thought I would Visit him. As the local village hotel was fully booked my partner and I thought we would try Naughty Nells at Shifnal. Arriving at 9.30 at night we were told we were too late for the hotel food, so we went to the local chippy, we sat in the street eating our food. Went back to Nells to go to bed, room was smaller then my daughters box room at home with a double bed in it, the jacuzzi was surposed to work but didn't, had to stand in the bath to see out the window. I know the building is old but the walls could be more sound proof, heard every word and fart from the guests in the next room. The bed in the Star room felt as if it was on a tilt all night,had to keep pulling my self back, so didnt get a good nights sleep. Woke up at 7.00 the next morning, Partner wanted to go outside for a cigarette, but couldnt as everyone was locked in and there was no one around to ask to unlock the doors, if he was the sort of person to steal things it could have been easily done from here, there was just no one about , as for breakfast, well we didnt bother nor did the guests in the next room, because their was just no one around to supply it. Getting back to the rooms,why is there a spy hole in every guest room, looking at the bed, we covered ours up while we were there. I know its called Naughty Nells, but to spy on guests while their in their beds is taking it a bit far. coffee and tea was supplied but there was no kettle in the room to make one and the TV work but picture was to fuzzy to watch, it had a aerial lead connected to it but it makes me wonder if there was an aerial connected to the lead. Wouldn't want to go bacck only if I was so depressed I wanted a good Laugh.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

stay at nells before was ok stop there last week and well its now under new owners, it was great loved the food and how it was cooked (right in front of you) the room was good like how each one has some think different about it would advise people to stay here

Stayed October 2008

Been to Naughty Nell's? Share your experiences!