“Beautiful setting, excellent leisure facilities” 5 of 5 stars

Haughton Hall
Haughton Lane, Shifnal TF11 8HG, England   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Shifnal
hereford
“Beautiful setting, excellent leisure facilities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

Only stayed for one night, but made to feel very welcome by all the staff. The added extra of being able to use the leisure facilities as no extra cost was a welcome addition. The room we had was very clean and had all the usual necessities. Ideal location for exploring the local are, definitely stay there again

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHHall, Manager at Haughton Hall, responded to this review, April 8, 2010
Thank you for your recent review, We are very lucky to be situated in a lovely peaceful spot in Shropshire. I will of course share your review with the team here and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Tom Hindle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

Booked this hotel at the last minute for a relaxing weekend break. My wife and I really enjoyed it. Beautiful setting, well presented and comfortable rooms and no noise. Definitely has that country house feel and yet the spa facilities were up to date and catered for everyone. Dinner was excellent and above all the staff were really friendly and pleasant. We were sorry to leave and would definitely return. Many thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHHall, General Manager at Haughton Hall, responded to this review, March 9, 2010
Dear Guest,

We always look at guest feedback so we can monitor ourselves and I will be sure to share your kind comments with our team

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Birmingham. uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

My wife and I booked in on Boxing Day. We were told as we checked in, there was no food available at all, until breakfast on the followihg day. Because we were so disappointed, we were upgraded to a better room. On the evening we walked to Shifnal, about 15 mins, for a few drinks and a meal. I would advise anyone to check first on food availability, as not everyone wants to spend the evening, searching the local town for a cooked meal. On talking to one other couple at breakfast, the leisure facilities were also not available. Besides this setback it was ok.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHHall, Manager at Haughton Hall, responded to this review, December 30, 2009
Dear Guest

I am sorry for the lack of facilities during your stay

We only operate a limited food offering during the Christmas period due to demand and you should have been made aware of this at the time of booking

The leisure facilities are also only ever closed on Christmas Day and Boxing Day

I can assure any future customers that the restaurant and bar menu is available seven days a week but it is always best to check at the time of booking if you wish to dine

Thank you for your feedback however as it is only through this we are able to monitor ourselves and our performance

I hope to welcome you back to Haughton Hall in the future

essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

After reading some earlier reviews I was a little apprehensive about my trip to Haughton Hall, however there was no need to be! My husband has stayed here several times for business and leisure but it was my first time. We just had the one night there, a quick 'romantic' childfree night away before the chaos of Christmas started. We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist and shown to our room immediately; we stayed in The Telford Suite (see photos) which was a VERY comfortable, modern room; the bed is one of the comfiest I have ever slept in, luxurious! And the roll top free standing bath is pretty special too!
I then wandered the very short distance to the leisure club to have a massage/reflexology. The therapist (Mo) is not directly employed by the hotel but she was absolutely fantastic! Not to be missed!
Back to the room, quick change for dinner and then down to the bar. Bar area is traditional in style, we had predinner drinks then went through to our table for a wonderful feast, food really was delicious! And the wine went down easily too...

Breakfast again was faultless, great service, top up's of tea/coffee no trouble, all good.

The hotel fulfilled our needs perfectly, a night away from it all, very comfortable, very relaxing, great food, good wine and a great nights sleep!

Would recommend the Telford Suite, I didn't see any other rooms whilst there but this one had just been updated to a high standard (see photos).

Would go back there without hesitation, in fact met a couple (in their early 40's) at dinner who had been going there for several years for weekend breaks as they enjoy it so much.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHHall, General Manager at Haughton Hall, responded to this review, December 9, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I was delighted that you enjoyed our new suite which we are very proud of

We always look at guest feedback so we can monitor ourselves and I will be sure to share your comments with our team

worcester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

We were a group of 14 on a pre christmas break. Food was spot on, excellent breakfasts. Accommodation was good too. Unfortunately the pool was closed which was a shame. The only real problem was the sub artic temperatures. Top tip to hotel manager would be turn the heating up/on, especially in the winter! It takes the edge off your evening if you have to keep your coat on all night and your rooms have no heat at all during the day.
Having said that we had a really good weekend and would return. (probably in the summer)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerHHall, General Manager at Haughton Hall, responded to this review, December 5, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review Haughton Hall

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and the negative comments have been taken on board by myself and my team

I hope you do visit us again and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Northants
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

We booked this as it was near to Cosford Museum which we were visiting the following day. On the web site it looked lovely, but in reality it was much better. The outside looks old, not a foreboding as I thought, and we were hoping that we had a room in the main house. We were not dissapointed from the moment we went through the main door.
We had the biggest room I have every been in - 4 poster bed and the room was massive, even the ensuite was huge, The bar area and the restaurant were lovely and it was so quiet. The meal was fantastic and breakfast was great as we were the only ones in the room at the time.
The only dissapointment was the cost of a glass of wine (over £6). I would however definately stay there again,

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerHHall, General Manager at Haughton Hall, responded to this review, September 28, 2009
Thank you for taking time to review Haughton Hall.

I am particularly pleased you enjoyed your dinner and breakfast especially as we recently changed our Breakfast offering

I hope to welcome you back to Haughton Hall again in the near future

SuttonColdfield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

I booked 3 roomsat the hotel on the internet as we had been invited to an evening reception following a wedding - the booking stated that " a king size bed comes as standard" beware - it doesn't!

I phoned the day before to confirm check-in time and was told 2.00pm.

We arrived at 1.50pm to be told that the rooms were not ready and "would be 10-15 minutes" We waited in the bar with our luggage round our feet until 3.15pm until we were informed that our rooms were ready.We made our way to the rooms but the corridors outside the room were stacked with dirty plates, glasses and splilt liquids which had to be negotiated to reach the room.

There was no milk on the refreshment tray - I went to reception and was then taken to a function room where I was told to take what I needed from the supplies for the coffee machine.

Emerging from the shower in the evening I discovered that the both bath towels on the towel shelf were WET! either , they hadn't been dried in the laundry? or maybe - THEY HADN'T BEEN CHANGED SINCE THE PREVIOUS OCCUPANTS HAD SHOWERED THAT MORNING!!!!!

At the bar in the evenind the queues to be served were horrendous until the manageress arrived to assist.
Various problems here - they ran out of beer in the hotel bar - the father of the bride collected dirty glasses from the overflowing tables until the management were shamed into allocating staff to collecting the glasses.

At 3.00am the Fire Alarm went off ! - we evacuated the rooms only to be told that it was a false alarm as they " had a fault on the System ! " - too late for the young mother with 2 children in the next room who had evacuated her children and herself and the door had closed behind her - we looked after her children while she arranged re-entry into her room - no member of staff took the trouble to check whether the guests were alright !

Breakfast was adequate.

On raising complaints on checking out we were told:-
1) Wet towels - "you should have phoned reception and we would have brought you towels" ( Reception was rarely manned - who would have answered? At the reception desk you were invited to ring for assistance,)
2) The small room which did not have a king size bed as stated in the booking- "it was a double roon wasn't it"

However - once we got into our rooms and before we attended the evening reception, we spend an enjoyable time in the leisure centre - the swimming pool, steam room, sauna and the staff there were excellent.

Will we ever go back there?

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! YOU MUST BE JOKING ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay at Haughton Hall

I have spoken to our Head Housekeeper who also wishes to be associated with my apologies regarding the issues with your room

The fire alarm was activated by a guest tampering with the sensor in the bedroom, it is hotel procedure to evacuate as guests safety is a priority for us

I am glad you made use and enjoyed our leisure facilities

Thank you again for your review it is through guest feedback we are able to monitor ourselves

Tom Hindle

Been to Haughton Hall? Share your experiences!