“Very pleasant will return” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English, French, Mediterranean
Good for: Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Shropshire
“Very pleasant will return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This was our first visit to Henri's having meaning to go for some time as we are fairly local. We last visited when it was a pub so we were pleasantly surprised by the lovely refurbishment. The staff were delightful, were attentive and helpful. The menu had a good selection of meals and plenty for vegetarians. Three of us opted for the beef burger as this looked so appetising, and we weren't disappointed, lovely and thick and hand made. (I noticed one review said the burger was raw in the middle, this is good quality beef not Macdonalds so I wouldn't want it well done!) Food was beautifully presented and reasonably priced as were the drinks. (Chips were great.) There is a draft beer available too. Our only criticism was that it was a little chilly inside. We will definitely visit again.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

56% Recommend
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and lacking atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

On a recent weekend visit with the family, we found the restaurant empty and lacking atmosphere. Our waitress was very friendly but we overheard a couple of staff berating another staff member...not very professional. Food ok but very overpriced for what you get. Drinks very expensive. I had a humous sandwich which was not seasoned and was very sloppy. My husband had a burger which was nearly raw in the middle. Not a cheap or enjoyable lunch.

Visited December 2013
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“A shame we went back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

After eating at Henris twice before with friends, I was looking forward to taking my husband for the Steak Rossini, a friend told me she had had the Steak Rossini and it wasn't the same but thought it might have been a one off, well it wasn't so I could not recommend this overpriced restaurant and will not visit again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Telford, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting but food a real let down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Visited as part of a group for a festive night out. Lovely ambience and setting, had high hopes for a good night.

Although the food came out quickly, I was really disappointed with what arrived as it was pretty basic, small and lacking in any finesse. Some bread for the table with the starters would not have gone amiss, especially as this is supposedly in the style of a French brasserie.

Main course was similarly lacking, meat seemed to have been very over-cooked, shredded then somehow pressed together. Plate very lacking in much else except a bit of sauce. Sharing bowl of veg was similarly small and unimpressive.

Dessert was probably the best of the three courses, but not enough to rescue the other two.

It really is a shame that the food was not better, at nearly £30 a head I didn't feel that it was value for money and probably wouldn't be inclined to return.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Overpriced...badly cooked food !!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

I'll start this review by just pointing out that I am not one of those over critical people that will complain at the drop of a hat and have given henri's a glowing review in the past ...but that was most definitely in the past after last weekends experience.
I went Saturday night with my wife and four friends for what is an annual get together. We decided on henri's as we had all eaten there back in march and found the food and quality to be excellent.
We were seated and the waitress attended to us very well, on scanning the menu we ordered our starters duck liver pâté ,scallops, and the bread board with olives. The main course seemed to draw nearly everybody to the steak Rossini and as our order had been taken we settled into enjoying a lovely evening with the anticipation of some great food to come.
The starters arrived and the duck pate didn't disappoint, the bread board was the bread board ( nobody can mess up slicing bread and putting olives in a bowl) ...the scallops although cooked ok were sat upon small round leather discs...oh no my mistake I meant to say burnt overcooked slices of chorizo but you would be hard pushed to distinguish it from pieces of shoe leather.
Not to worry though I'm sure this is just a small hiccup here come the main courses....steak Rossini @ £25 a pop served up cold with a square lump of what I'm presuming is some kind of buttered baked potato on the side but it wouldn't look out of place as a lump of wax in a French polishers toolkit ...in looks or taste...and not a single vegetable in sight just the basics.
I do believe the nearest the chef has ever been to steak Rossini is when he served up a big mac without the top bun in his last job.
Called the waitress and explained that 3 of the meals were cold and a so was a steak. There was no hassle having them taken back to be warmed up ..so we waited..and we waited.. now the 2 people who's meals were edible had started to eat them before they to needed to go back to be warmed up.....and we waited. When they finally arrived back 2 people had finished there meals.
On their return from the kitchens overworked microwave they were warmish...although the steak which should have been cooked well done was still redder than the wine.
On pointing out to the manager that we were not happy with the quality of the meals he seemed a bit miffed that anybody would complain...and at first was reluctant to make amends but on reflection and after being told by one of our party that we will just walk out and only pay what we feel the meals were worth ..that not being very much he took a step back and offered to wipe 3 meals off the bill.
I'm sure some people will read this and think that's good..but when your out with friends and family for a special evening it's not about the money it's about the food,and the company.. in this case the company was great ...the food was dire.
I will just say the waitress was very good and can't be blamed for any part of this culinary catastrophe.

We will never go back to henri's

Visited November 2013