“Overrated” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Park Street, Shifnal TF11 9BA, England   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Shifnal
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night with my wife and daughter and have to say I wasn't particularly impresssed. I recently stayed at another 4 star hotel with a AA rosette award winning restaurant and they were poles apart. This simply didn't match up. The rooms were pleasant but nothing special and the food was ok but again not as good as I was hoping for and the menu advertised on the website was different to in the restaurant. The spa and leisure facilities are a bit of a joke. The pool was so cold it was impossible to go in. And the "gym" was pathetic in serious need of some modernisation. No treadmill, a rowing machine with a rusty chain and a display that doesn't work. A weights bench from 1973. It would be better to not have a gym than have the one they had at present. It doesn't cost that much for a bit of decent gym equipment and they really need to address this. The breakfast was ok but in a 4 star establishment I would expect food to be cooked to order and not served as a buffet. Overall I would say that I wouldn't make a return visit and not would I recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding in September 2012 and wanted to wait to post this review to avoid upsetting the bride and groom who might see it at the time.
We checked in and were directed to a room in a cottage type building. Up the stairs a very average looking room greeted us, more than adequate for a 2 or 3 star hotel but not 4. The bathroom was very very poor...Nevertheless we were not that fussed as it was a wedding and we were there for our friends.
I feel really sorry for the wedding couple who must have (deep down) felt disappointed with their big day as the wedding ceremony had the back drop of a noisy fan heater buzzing and rattling away while they were giving their vows. It was so distracting yet nobody turned it off!! It was however the rude waiter (I believe he was the head waiter) that really ruined our enjoyment along with a number of other guests. This man fancied himself as a master of ceremony but was more like a dictator. I could see him bullying most of the other staff and giving orders out. Myself and a number of the other guests made the fatal error of asking for a top up on the wine... We were rudely spoken to by this clown and told that we were allowed once glass now and we would get another with the next course. It was the manner that this person spoke to us in that offended me so badly. So with a completely dry mouth I tucked into a completely overcooked bit of meat and undercooked potatoes. A truly miserable experience. I doubt the bride and groom complained as this would have impacted their enjoyment of what is a once in a lifetime experience. Please do not have a wedding reception here. It is terrible. I look forward to hearing a response from the hotel which I'm sure will tell everyone how wrong I am.

• Stayed September 2012
heritageproperties, General Manager at Park House Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
It is with great regret that I have to begin to draft a response to this reveiw. I would like to start by saying that I have tried on two occassions to contact the person that has left the reveiw, in order to discuss the points personally. Both attempts at contact have not been responded to. I
As a busy wedding venue, we pride ourselves on the excellent service, fantastic food and general experience that our wedding couples receive. All of our wedding couples are contacted directly after the event, by their personal co-ordinator, and not one report of any negative experience came back in September of last year. Infact, we believe that the wedding in question have personally sent a Thank you card to the Hotel, for what they described as a "Fantastic Day". However, due to the anonimity of the reveiwer and their reluctance to respond to our communication, we cant confirm this 100%. It is a shame that the site restrictions do not allow us to put on personal comment card reveiws from wedding couples.

So, within my response I will try and cover each negative point that has been raised, however once again, I must stress that due to not knowing the situation personally or having being able to discuss the points with this person it is very difficult to comment specifically.

The 'Average' looking room - Without knowing the room number that was stayed in, its hard to comment on its appearance. The rooms in the 'cottage building' are generally our most popular rooms and usually requested for their quietness and the fact that people can park outside of their door. The rooms are all furnished to a high standard, with the usual amenities that you would expect to find within a 4 star Hotel. Flat screen TV, Tea/coffee etc. The decor is modern and unobtrusive, with the rooms being clean and well furnished. The reveiwer has said said that the "bathroom was poor", but not said why. All bathrooms have baths with a shower, sink and toilet. We provide a high standard of complimentary toiletries and pride ourselves on the cleanliness of the bathroom, again, a very 'non-specific' comment.

The 'buzzing noisy fan' is a little bit of a mystery to be honest. Again, without knowing the date and what the weather was like on the wedding day itself, its very hard to comment. We have both heating and air conditioning within all of our function rooms, so perhaps the background noise was coming from the aircon/heating. Not something anyone has mentioned before, in the 8 years I have worked at the Hotel, I have to admit!

The comments about the 'head waiter' are disappointing. All of our managers here have been here for some time (we must be doing something right!) and NEVER have I received a comment about some one such as this! If people go on to read other reveiws, the level of service and our staff are very prominent and highly praised. An aligation of BULLYING is a very serious one, and something that I would imagine someone witnessing would have brought to the attention of a more senior member of staff on the day. Apparently not. The comment of "Being rudely spoken to by this clown" I think is incredibly rude in itsself, and dont really think there is much I can say about this! If a guest asks for a 'top up' of wine that the Bride and Groom have paid for, the Bride and Groom will have asked us to ensure one glass is poured with starters, and one with Main course, which I imagine this to be the case in this instance. To avoid "tucking into my dinner with a completely dry mouth" the guest would have been able to purchase their own drink, which our waiting staff would have brought to the table and the guest could have paid for. However, if you are waiting for the "free top-up", then yes, the next glass would have been asked to have been served with the next course.

The comment about the 'dry meat and undercooked potato' is something I can only stress that once again, no complaints were received on the day or indeed after the event. Our AA rosette food has always been somewhat of a feature at the Hotel, and I can only presume that this comment was perhaps thrown in for good measure. Had the guest have brought this to our attention at the time, it would have been immediately rectified. Something that is a little hard to do almost 5 months after the meal itself.

Should this guest wish to speak to me directly, they do have my contact details from the two email messages I have sent through trip advisor.

I would simply ask people who have read this reveiw, to carry on and read them all. I think it is apparent that this particular one, is very much an isolated one.

Thank you.
hannah90
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Recently attended a wedding here. Service was friendly and attentive, food was good and the bedrooms met all our needs. Our room was missing a fridge but it don't bother us! Breakfast in the morning was good and again service was very attentive.

• Stayed December 2012
Wolverhampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We have recently attended a party at this hotel and I could not fault it. Usually when you go to events that they are catering for 100 people the food can be rubbish but far from it. The staff are all very friendly, helpfull and we had an excellent time

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
SHROPSHIRE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We have just had an excellent weekend at the Park House,tremendous value for money,including afternoon tea, champagne,and a very good evening meal.Efficient and friendly staff also helped to make this a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for business for the best part of 6 months. The staff were very helpful, particularly reception and the rooms are well appointed, although they had small desks making work awkward.
The restaurant food is of a high standard and the breakfast very pleasant.
The new section rooms are a little smaller than the old part and sometimes difficult to pick up wifi but still above average.

The town of Shifnal (1min walk away) is ideal with a few excellent restaurants and convenience shops making it a nice stay.

Be warned mobile phone reception is very poor in the hotel, but you can get one or two bars in the town.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were brought the one night stay with bed, breakfast, evening meal as a christmas pressent, lovely approach to house nice setting. Reception staff ok. Stayed in room 1 which was very spacious, nice big bed, tv in both bedroom and sitting room, which was handy when the football was on !! nice bathroom and lovely fluffy towels. very pleased with it. At dinner we had to order from the table d hote menu, choice was ok, resurant set out very nice, staff very pleasent and have only one little niggle, as soon as we had finished one course the plates were whipped away and the next course set down in front of us, we managed to eat all three courses in an hour !! I dont know about any one else but we like to take our time and relax inbetween courses. Breakfast fab, so was the mature lady that served us. Went in the swimming pool at 7.30 am and that was great just the two of us. All in all would we stay there again? proberly not, but only because we like to try new places.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Park House Hotel? Share your experiences!