“Waste of time and money” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #77 of 97 Restaurants in Oswestry
Cuisines: English
Os
“Waste of time and money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Extremely unimpressed with the meal we had on Saturday. The bar staff would not accept my protests that their lemonade syrup wasn't coming through the pumps so I ended up drinking a spritzer which tasted vile (they replaced it once but wouldnt believe it was still wrong) only for them to later capitulate when a friend bought a lemonade on its own (no apologies came our way or offers of replacement drinks as you'd expect). Then we waited just under an hour and a half for our food to arrive (despite there only being us and one other table jn the restaurant) which was extremely hit and miss. My pork shank in cider sauce had set as a jelly rather than a sauce, my friends curry was more oil than anything else (literally about half a cm of sauce to a cm of oil) so she ended up just fishing a few bits of chicken out) and the rest of the meals were extremely underwhelming. The only good things were the chips and the fact that the food was at least pretty cheap. Definitely not going back!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Oswestry, United Kingdom
“Don't bother, eat at home.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Myself and 8 friends went to the Smithfield for our friends birthday, Suffice to say next time we'll get a takeaway. It started badly when two of our rose spritzers with lemonade didnt taste quite right, which to be fair they did replace, but they still tasted nasty, and we were told "the lines were only changed yesterday" and that was the end of that. Another one of us later ordered another lemonade which tasted like fizzy water, and they did replace it with a new one from the other bar, but this wasnt much better but frankly we were thirsty and just drank it anyway.

We ordered our food, and our vegetarian friend noticed there was not a single vegetarian option on the menu. She was told all food was cooked fresh so she could have whatever she wanted, but not liking to dictate what they had to cook she opted for a panini. We than waited over an hour to be seated in the restaurant, and a further 15 minutes after that our food finally arrived. I had a fillet steak with pepper sauce, and the sauce appeared to have curdled and my onion rings were cremated and I'm not convinced there was any onion in them. I ordered my steak rare, and rare it was not, although this is probably being a bit picky as it was medium-well done. Quite frankly by this stage we were so hungry we would have eaten anything.

We asked about desserts and were told of the 8 items on the dessert menu only 3 were available. The only other table in the restaurant had ordered their desserts just as our meals had arrived and still hadn't had them 30 minutes later, so we decided to cut our losses and not bother.

Personally I wouldnt bother going back here again, there were 13 people in total in the restaurant and they were painfully slow. I dread to think what it would be like when it was busy. The food was average at best, and certainly not worth a return visit. Get a takeaway and stay at home folks, or go to Prezzos.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Home from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Best place to stay in Oswestry. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Lively bar too. Near to town bars but not within hearing distance!

Visited December 2012
Oswestry, United Kingdom
“Always have a nice meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Me and my husband have eaten here a few times and always had a really nice meal each time, sometimes can be abit quiet in the restaurant, but we like it that way!Friendly staff and not too pricey.

Visited March 2012
Oswestry, United Kingdom
“drinks only, could have cooked better food myself!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Severely disappointed, the food you receive is not even worth the cheap price you pay, dry and tasteless with as little "extra touches" as humanly possibly! Havn't been, and wont be going back again

• Visited July 2011