“Once Upon a Time!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 8 hotels in Oswestry
Ansdell UK
“Once Upon a Time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

One of those rare places, where service is everything and the staff become friends. Want somewhere to go on this sceptred Isle? Well you need to visit this hotel, and relax knowing that everything you need, or ever wanted is here..... worth every penny you pay.

Room Tip: Just turn up, every room is good here!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
seprawn, Owner at Sweeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for your very kind and well chosen words.A review like this is a real boost to all concerned and for this we thank you.

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed in I think was the Bridal Suite?
Paid £140 a night and that included breakfast which was beautiful.
The room on arrival smelled strongly of bleach which was not a bad thing but a bit over powering.
It was a big room and the bed was beautifully made up but what was striking was the tired carpet and bathroom.
Thought about having a bath but there was not enough hot water, had a shower instead which was dicey as the temperature was tempremental.
Overall the room was slightly disappointing, but saying that the evening meal and breakfast was fantastic.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the trouble to leave this review.The feedback is much appreciated and we use as a tool to improve and change what see offer.
Petersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a beautiful building with enormous potential but I can only say that Hotel Inspector would have had a field day. When we arrived at 7.30pm there were functions going on everywhere so no-one checked us in for ages. Finally a busy looking person approached, flung his arms around my midriff in a bear hug and said "did I need any help" Whether this is a typical Oswestry welcome I don't know but it was certainly memorable! I then went to my room which was a "cottage" (a suite of rooms on the first floor) comprising of two spacious bedrooms with lovely views across the side lawn, a bathroom and separate cloakroom - wonderful, or so I thought.

As there was only one ceiling light I went to put the standard lamps on which were either side of the sofa .... there were no power points and couldn't be plugged in so they were there for decoration. Never mind I thought, and went to put on the bedside lights - one socket, two lights...... ok I thought, I'll have a cup of tea. Went to plug in the kettle and yes, you guessed it, no power socket. I traced an extension cable from the TV back along the wall and found the only power source! The room was basically cleanish but certainly could do with an eye for detail, the furnishings were a little worn and could do with replacing.

The spacious bathroom had a gorgeous, huge bath and separate shower cubicle with plenty of superb towels, good products and a useful, big hot towel radiator. It is a pity there are no instructions to tell you that outside the bathroom is the unlabelled switch for the hot water for the shower. I didn't find this out until mentioning it upon departure.

I ate in the restaurant and the meal and service was faultless. Efficiently served, well-presented, succulent and washed down with a tasty glass of house red wine. The staff at both the evening meal and the excellent breakfast were well trained and wanted to please - and they suceeded.

I thought this represented good value for money for my stay and would go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the front approach as those have the best vistas and have the biggest win...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the trouble to leave both positive and negative feed back.The socket problem was something we were aware of and have rectified.We now look forward to welcoming you back
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Prefect setting, service and food for my sons naming ceremony. The food is very high quality. Staff are more than helpful to make the day as we wanted. Childrens food was great! Ver very Highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the feedback.I am very pleased you enjoyed your experience here and we hope you will visit us again
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I got married at this venue last weekend, I can honestly say that I couldn't have asked for anything more. The room we stayed in was spotless. When the food came out there was hardly no wait. They kept everything running smoothly. Thank you so much for a fantastic day

• Stayed September 2013
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your day and wish you well for the future
Conwy, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The plates were warm but the food was cool, also the vegetarian food was quite bland, and service slow. the lemon tart was the only course I enjoyed as it had a nice tangy flavor, I understand catering for 40 people at once is difficult, but many people had left before coffee and mints were served.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feed back it is much appreciated and also highlights that a review is the personnel experience and opinion of the individual leaving it. As the review after this reflects your granddaughter experience of her wedding here that day.Also just a comment from the hotel regarding the slow service of coffee which I am sorry wasn't ordered or paid for by your hosts so this would explain why you were waiting a long time for it.Please accept our apologies if we didn't meet your expectations as we aim to deliver on every level.
Walsall
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We have had many enjoyable lunches at The Sweeney and looked forward to this one but oh dear it was dreadful. The menu was plonked in passing on the table with no words or a smile, then we were challenged about their being 4 of us when we were were informed we had booked for 5.

The bread was accompanied by hard curls of butter and we asked if they could be any softer but on its return it was just as hard. Surely ten seconds in the microwave would have been possible?
On taking away the plates and vegetables some cauliflower fell off and landed on my friend's back on to the back of the chair and when this was pointed out to the young waiter , he gave a cursory glance and said "it's alright!" No apology or care shown whatsoever.
The only other person was a young waitress who took the order for my friends fruit salad but without sorbet , asking if she might have cream instead. It was no surprise to find the sorbet arrive and no apology came for the error.
There did not seem anyone senior to complain to but this is the first time I have never left a tip at any restaurant or cafe. Just some charm, care and polite attention would have lifted this occasion no end. The food was very reasonable and the menu inviting but it did not make up for the dreadful service .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
seprawn, Manager at Sweeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
I am very sorry that the service you recieved didn't meet your expectations.We do try extremely hard to deliver what we feel is a frienly yet proffesional level of service and have clearly failed this time.If you would like to contact me personnally then I hope we can re establish the level of service you have experienced on previous occations.Thankk you for the feedback and also the positive comments regarding your food.

Been to Sweeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!