“19.30” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Oswestry, United Kingdom
“19.30”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

this was my first time at this resturant, and all though it was fairly busy,but i will not be returning to this resturant, the waitress took our order, there was ten of us. cause it was a birthday meal.she said i think i have got every one order,she said we will see when it come out, they were short on one meal, which thought it was mine, but they had given my pork in barbcue some one else on table, say it was chicken, when we called the waitress over to say there was one meal short, she said it was right, but it was short of a chicken chow mein, the waitress was very rude, and argued with us saying that it was right, but it wasnt, so in they end they got me another pork, by which time every time every one else had finished, when we asked to speak to manager, we was told he was in kitchen cooking, and couldnt come out, but the waitress that had taken our order was also the shift manager, when we asked her to speak to other waitress to come and apologise, for being so rude, she siad she wouldnt, so we asked for a discount, which they gave us 10%, but has a shift manager she wasnt very good, but before we left the other waitress did come and apoligise, but to be honest, it spoilt the whole eveing, and the fact they missed a meal off meant we didnt all eat together, and when i got mine it was cold,i have been in a lot of returants, and i think this as to be the worst,the lady who was serving drinks at bar was very nice and polite,pauline oswestry

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Steve S, Owner at China Palace, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
There was a lot of confusion upon taking this order as everyone fired their requests at the Shift Manager whilst continuing to talk over and amongst each other. She did state that if there was something missing we would be able to rectify the problem, which definitely wouldn’t cause an inconvenience because the total order consisted of one main dish and a few side orders between 10 adults. When the food arrived no one was paying attention or listening to what dishes were being served and one member of the party was eating what they thought was a chicken chow mein but was actually the ‘missing’ honey pork chow mein. Your review reflects your confusion as we don’t sell ‘pork in barbecue’ so I confirm it didn’t go to someone else on the table.
The young waitress you pointed out didn’t serve your table at any point of the evening so when you asked the Shift Manager to send her over to apologise or you would ‘shred’ our good ratings on trip advisor she was not prepared to humiliate her in front of the whole restaurant. To try and calm the situation I offered a 10% discount off your food bill and I hoped it would calm you down for the sake of others dining. When you left, at least two of the other tables expressed their relief that they could now dine in peace. We hope that our future customers are not put off by this review and that they will realise its fabrication when they read all the other reviews on this site.

England, United Kingdom
“Very, very good food and charming service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Six of us ate here on a recent Friday evening. The welcome was very friendly.

We chose Banquet C, at £20 per head, and we were all delighted. The courses were very generous and top quality. The food was expertly prepared and appetisingly presented. Our two young waitresses were attentive and courteous.

We had a great meal and were all very pleased we had chosen China Palace.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food but overpriced ,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Can't fault the service , not busy when we went so may be different when full ! Food was very good with great flavours , but small portion of ribs and small ( giant crab claws) the thing that may stop me going again is the price! But if they can get away with being expensive then good luck .£95 for three of us two small eaters one average (if that makes sense )three starters three mains one rice seven drinks . Two liqueur coffees . All enjoyed but shock at bill !

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I went there for a takeout recently. The staff were very polite but my side order was not available, they suggested something else, but that turned out to be unavailable too. By this time it was the manager talking to me, so I was pleased the matter was being taken seriously. But even he was embarrassed to have to say they'd run out of pak choi when there were only 3 tables seated. As, on a previous occasion my mother had ordered some weird concoction of duck and crab, which was served cold and apeared to contain a slab of fat, this time we decided to play safe and choose the Cantonese duck, on the basis that it's a simple and well-known dish that I've eaten the world over (including the China Palace). When I got home I discovered to my amusement it had been covered in what tasted like orange sauce. It didn't taste bad, and we ate it all up, it was just a bit weird. And the (plain boiled) rice wasn't Chinese rice at all. I did wonder if they got it in from the Indian next door. For 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 (small!) plain rice and 1 veg side I thought £38 was a bit much.

I've eaten at China Palace (occasionally) for years and it used to be very good. But it's looking a bit dowdy these days and the food is perhaps now reflecting a very Oswestrian understanding of the word "Chinese".

Still, not a bad place, polite service, pretty if dated Chinese decor. Good in parts.

They don't deliver either, which is a bit of a minus.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Penzance, United Kingdom
“Great food - great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We called in on a weekday night and the restaurant was busy.
The service was excellent, the vegetarian menu was extensive and the food was served hot!
What more could you ask!

• Visited March 2013