“Good food and good sevice” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
North Wales
“Good food and good sevice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Late booking bank holiday afternoon, wanted somewhere we knew would be spot on. This place is a banker no fuss good honest food served with a smile

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Wrexham County, United Kingdom
“All round excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

I have just come back from another lovely meal at the queens head, myself and a few friends regularly meet up here as we know we are going to get good home cooked food in a welcoming place, with excellent service and atmosphere. I would highly recommend the Queens Head to anybody. It is hard to find anywhere these days that does home cooked food to this standard but they have it down to a tee here. It has a relaxed atmosphere, and the staff are very helpful and friendly, I am already looking forward to my next visit to the Queens Head.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Shropshire UK
“Unhappy experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Took my two grandsons and self to Queens' Head and was less than impressed by the food, service and the indifference of the manager to a complaint. The boys had fish & chips, and scampi & chips with peas. I chose Cottage Pie, and though the boys' food was reasonably satisfactory the cottage pie was quite awful: there was very little meat - what there was swam in fat. The overwhelming taste was of tomato. The potato layer was watery and though it was additionally flavoured with cheese, was less than wholesome.
Having eaten only half before laying it aside in disgust, I waited (fruitlessly as it happened) for one of the waiting staff to ask if 'everything was alright', but though the pub was only moderately busy, no-one stopped to enquire if all was well. When eventually the boys had finished their meal only then did the waitress ask if it was 'OK?' I asked why it had taken so long for anyone to think of asking and told her it was 'not very nice at all'. She did apologise and I noticed she went and spoke to the manager in the bar, but when I went to pay he made absolutely no mention of it, and nor did he make eye contact, or proffer any apology.
Needless to say, the Queens Head is 'off any future menu plans' we might have had, and in truth I couldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. Do yourself a favour - go on to the White Lion in Whittington - a few miles distant, where you will get a decent meal.
English Mick (Shropshire)

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Mid-Week Treat.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

“It’s good food at the Queen’s Head” is a phrase I had heard quite often locally. Another birthday celebration would give me the chance to find out if that is still the case.
With every one having arrived and blandishments proffered to the birthday girl we trooped through to our table to begin the always, (for me), difficult task of what to order.
Choices made our orders were taken, the distaff side opting mostly for the Sea food Paella the rest going for old favourites such as Fish & Chips, Steak & Kidney Pie etc. and with a broad spectrum of starters.
At this point a very apologetic, but very pretty, waitress returned with the news that only one starter portion of the scallops, the choice of both myself and my friend Mark was available. Despite calls to settle things in the car-park I very graciously (I thought) deferred to the Black Pudding.
The food soon began to arrive and all had a plate before them at the same time which is always appreciated. Starters over and pronounced a success, especially the scallops apparently! Glasses were recharged and in short order the main course appeared.
Again we were not disappointed the food was fresh, well-cooked and of ample portion size. There was a minor niggle with the calamari in the paella a touch on the “O” ring side but that is often the case and didn’t detract too much.
As for the pudding side of things I can’t offer an opinion, being far too full to even attempt a sweet course. Two of the ladies did manage a bowl of Eton mess each, said bowls being returned almost clean.
To summarize…“It’s good food at the Queen’s Head”

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

A lovley place for a meal, 6 of us ate here for a birthday meal. We had a variety of different dishes including the paella which was really good. Definitely recommend and return.

Visited April 2014