“Bringing back the memories” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Museums
Shropshire
4 attraction reviews
“Bringing back the memories”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This an absolutely amazing place- it is packed with stuff from mainly 30's to 80's and it is done in sections from cleaning/household through to toys and childhood- it brought back so many memories! the Christmas section was very interesting as I think we still have many of those baubles from the 50's /60's from my Husband's mother. We spent 1 1/2 hours there, but you could easily spent a lot longer there as there is so much to take in and I think another visit is a must! I agree with a previous reviewer I think it needs as separate gift shop and it would be nice if things could be labelled with a year made or rough period of time it was around. Still it was most enjoyable and they also make a decent cup of tea!

Visited September 2013

Lancaster, England, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“All is Not Lost!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I've been meaning to write this for a month or two, but I just wasn't sure what to say. This is the absolute craziest place I have ever been to. It is extremely different to any other kind of museum. Imagine that in most museums they put out 10-15% of their exhibits. Here they put out them all. Now the advantage to this is that it is awesome- so much to see. We were born early 80's so for us many of the things we had never seen before as most things are 40s-70s. In confectionery section there are box of really old chocolates- and you can see the exact shapes and types because they are there, open. In the cosmetics section you can see the different cases and colours and shapes of the lipsticks. You can feel a nylon parachute silk shirt. Instead of 4 or 5 tastefully displayed costumes, here there are racks, behind glass and dummies displayed right up to the ceiling.

There are two main disadvantages in my eyes; not so much that there is too much stuff, but that it is not labelled; you don't know the year it was made or when it was from or sometimes, what it does. This is a real shame as this would have really illuminated the history for me. Second is, it is so packed in that it can be really difficult to get round. We took our 4 year old and there were areas where I couldn't pick her up and get past. Although there are stairlifts I think you would find it inaccessible in a wheelchair or with a pushchair. However, I have based the review on me and for me, this was just a gobsmacking place. I would really love to pay it another visit - without my daughter though. It isn't good for smaller kids.

I do need to give an honourable mention to the cafe. The lady there is so lovely and the drinks are so reasonably priced. The cakes are lovely and they even had decaf tea in a lovely pot and was so nice to my daughter. However it should have told some more good stuff/ tat as we would definitely have bought some trinkets or gifts if they had a kind of proper gift shop.

London, United Kingdom
“Qwerky, interesting and very nostalgic.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Very interesting museum, and you find yourself saying "I remember those, we had one when I were a lad". Well worth a visit.

Telford, United Kingdom
“Land of Lost Content”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We arrived here on a Sunday afternoon about 1.30 p.m. We were greeted by a very pleasant lady who organises all the different items.

The warehouse looks quite small from the outside, but, is a definite tardis once inside.

After more than two hours of reminiscing we decided to have a coffee and reflect on what we had seen.

A lovely afternoon. Would definitely recommend it.

Macclesfield, Uk
“A bit too whimsical”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I'm 46, so perhaps not quite old enough to fully appreciate everything this place has to offer. It is amazing in some ways - there are thousands of individual items that date from the turn of the 20th century to the end of the 1980s. However, the curator has put handwritten guidenotes around the place which I found a bit whimsical, and a bit too unequivocally "wasn't everything great in the old days?" If you are past 50 and unashamedly nostalgic you'll love it; if you're neither of those things, you'll probably wish you'd done something else with your time.

Visited August 2013