“Good pub food and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 90 Restaurants in Witney
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bradford on Avon
“Good pub food and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We hand lunch here last Sunday - a convenient meeting place for family to meet and catch up. Sunday menu offering decent choice of starters and the usual Sunday roast of pork/beef/chicken etc. Staff very friendly and they allow well behaved dogs in the bar area. Fishcakes were a lovely starter, looked and tasted home made as was the Pate and Toast. All main courses were well presented, cooked well and came with a good selection of seasonal greens and veggies. Only downside was that the roast potatoes were a little soggy but everything else was fine. We share 2 puddings between 4 and these were great so all round a good lunch and extremely reasonably priced. We have eaten here before but I thought it was about time it had a review! For good basic pub food - I would eat here again. Good value for money.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Witney
“Good things come to an end”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have been eating regularly with the greatest of pleasure at the Harcourt Arms for about ten years. I have gone there with individual friends, with family groups and have taken many overseas visitors. It was one of my most reliable and enjoyable places to eat, all the better for being only a few minutes drive away from my house. I was there in late September with my sister, who was visiting me. It felt as if things were not quite the same but we had an enjoyable meal. I have been three times since and each occasion has been steadily worse. I didn't know of the change of management but clearly something was wrong. We were afraid there might have been a family crisis that had taken Jo and Derek away temporarly and didn't want to ask the serving staff, who were as friendly and welcoming as ever. We felt the difference but hoped things would pick up again quickly. The bar is untidier than it used to be and has an uncared -for look. The menus on the bar are getting stained and dog-eared. I don't know how often they were reprinted under the old team but they always looked fresh and the content changed regularly. For the period that they ran the 'early-bird' suppers, these were also astonishingly good value, perfectly cooked and very well presented, just as the items from the main menu always were. No changes on the ageing crumpled menu sheets that I've noticed over the past six or seven weeks and even a basic standard such as fish and chips is poorly cooked now, with an inferior fish, mushy peas (you can have an alternative but why serve this horror at all?), either soggy or overcooked batter and the tartare tastes like a commercial product rather than the old one that I assume was home-made. I'm not a fan of fish and chips in pubs and usually eat from the main menu but at the Harcourt Arms even fish and chips was a pleasure. It is so different now I could weep. Too many good local dining pubs have gone downhill this year after changing hands. We've given it three goes under this new regime and have been disappointed each time. I doubt that we shall ever go back again and I say this with the greatest possible regret. I do hope Jo and Derek, if they've gone somewhere new, will re-create the little miracle they achieved at Stanton Harcourt. And if it's in Oxfordshire or Gloucestershire, will someone please tell me where it is?

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Under new management, but still fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I've visited the Harcourt Arms several times since it changed hands in August - for dinners with my family, drinks with friends and for a business lunch). I am so pleased to report that the food is still fantastic and the pub is a friendly and welcoming as ever. :)

It was a bit hectic in there on a couple of occasions (but not surprising when the BMW owners' club descends on you unexpectedly) and they went for a spell without being able to accept credit or debit cards, but that's all sorted now. I'm just looking forward to spending Friday evening there this week, supping a pint of delicious Tribute or five...

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Great village, posh pub.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Had been walking the Thames path and staying in Bablock Hythe at the Ferryman Inn. This pub blows it out of the water for a bit of character and menu choice. It was perfect for my dad, who likes good food, but it would have been great for a romantic dinner, or group dinner.

Visited May 2012
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
“Avoid! Poor food, slow service, almost like weatherspoons but twice the price!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

My boyfriend for some unknown reason decided to take me to this pub after reading good reviews on trip advisor, I had a sinking feeling when I read the menu and saw "ham egg and chips" under the mains but didn't want to make a fuss so unfortunately ate there.

The service was SO slow and when the food came the sauce that went with my steak was congealed like it had been left under incubator lights. My steak was chewy, tough and not very nice, chips were just your average chips. The worst thing was it was something like £13! Could've bought something amazing from waitrose for that amount. The boyfriend had fish and chips which were pretty standard, the mushy peas looked like they were microwaved from a can. It felt like a weatherspoons meal but the price was doubled and I'm sure the quality at spoons would have been better and served faster anyway!

Strangely enough the online menu actually sounded nice but it had all changed when we got there, only to discover boring meals like sausages and mash etc. I don't really write reviews but just had to because it was so bad!

Do not know why everyone else seems to think it's amazing, however by about 7pm the place was packed full of old people well over their 60s. I guess it's far out of Oxford and people living round the area have limited dining choices!

• Visited June 2012