You added La Fontana Italian Restaurant with Accommodation to your Saves list
La Fontana Italian Restaurant with Accommodation
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Oxford Road | East Hanney, Wantage OX120HP, England   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Wantage B&B and Inns
“Elvis”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

If you want a brilliant night out look out for there Elvis Nights.I think they have them a couple of times a year and the guy that is the Elvis act is excellent.
You get a meal and lovely surrounding. I have one small moan it is that I have been on two occasions during 2013 and they have spent lots of money over the last couple of years on the place but for some odd reason the fan is still hanging off the wall in the mens toilet. I cannot work out why somebody does not fix it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
mattiamerola, General Manager at La Fontana Italian Restaurant with Accommodation, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very pleased you enjoyed the Elvis night and we hope to welcome you back to La Fontana.
We apologise that we have managed to overlook a very small job like fixing the fan to the wall in the toilets.
Thank you once again for this review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I recently stayed here with my partner for a night. I was really impressed with the fab service that I received. The room was spacious with a very comfatabke bed and the shower was great. Loved the fresh breakfast and quality of the food was fantastic. I'm looking forward to returning very soon. Thanks again
F

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mattiamerola, Manager at La Fontana Italian Restaurant with Accommodation, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review are we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you to La Fontana again.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Stayed at the la Fontana following proposal to my girlfriend at Blenheim palace. Hotel sorted out rose petals in the room and chilled champagne on arrival. Room was superb and food excellent. Stay and dine deal is a steal!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mattiamerola, Manager at La Fontana Italian Restaurant with Accommodation, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for you review. Glad we where of help to you. Good luck to you both in the future.
From all at La Fontana.
Ravensthorpe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

We booked at short notice for a Saturday evening dinner, bed and breakfast package, and unlike some other reviewers found the service good. All members of the family and other staff were friendly, helpful (around issues like cots etc) and efficient, both at the time of booking (where we were asking about cots and how we could accommodate our 2 year old - which they were very helpful with) and during our meal and stay.
Both dinner and breakfast were fresh, tasty and good value (as was the whole package) and only comment would be that portions could be halved and there would still be plenty! The style of food was as you would expect from a family Italian, this is not a place for you if you want trendy modern cuisine, but that suited us well. The same was true of the decor, I can understand why some have said it is dated, but we found it clean, comfortable and cosy
Our room was also clean, and more comfortable than I expected for the price, and the breakfast was good. Only downside on room was extreme heat, but better than than cold and unwelcoming i suppose! If you want a good value meal, and/or place to stay, this is a sound option in the area.

• Stayed October 2013
mattiamerola, Manager at La Fontana Italian Restaurant with Accommodation, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review and express how much we enjoyed having you and your family stay with us.

We feel that your review sums up our family run restaurant very well and we hope to see you again.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

All,

I have to stress this is a 4 star hotel with restaurant. Don't be fooled and book this place in rush (as i did).

First of all the restaurant is nowhere close to 4 star. Most imp bit, there is no decent service. At reception I was signed in by a lady with serious attitude issue. I dint have an iron in the room, I noticed it around 11 pm. Tried calling the reception, but didn't get any response. I had a meeting next day so finally decided to get down to reception and ask for Iron and Iron board.

The reception (which is more of a bar counter) was closed/locked. With no signs of what to do in case i need help. etc. I had to wake up in the morning call get down to find someone and iron my shirt.

Breakfast - If you are on a business visit, I was, you don't have much time to mess around. This place did not have a buffet!!! I had to wait for 10 minutes to get anything served....

Just to add to it... this place is in middle of nowhere in wantage. So please choose carefully.

Only Good thing - their rooms are of decent size.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
P

Room Tip: Avoid booking this place.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
mattiamerola, Manager at La Fontana Italian Restaurant with Accommodation, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear sir

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We would like to clear up a misunderstanding about our 4 star rating - this is rated by AA under the category of 'restaurant with rooms' please see link below. http://www.theaa.com/travel/accommodation_restaurants_grading.html
So you are correct we are not a 4 star hotel/restaurant and do not claim to be.

In every room we have a information booklet which explains that the reception closes at 10pm and that a iron and ironing board can be located in the hallway. We also provide you with several numbers to call outside of reception hours if you need to.

We pride ourselves with providing our customers with cooked to order breakfasts and are surprised that you have rated this as a negative. We would prefer to give our customers food that is freshly prepared rather than buffet food that is left to go cold and rubbery.

We also by law need to lock the bar for licensing reason and for the safety of guests.

We also have many customers say how lovely it is to stay in a village location away from busy towns and centres.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and hope that this response clears up a few misunderstandings for trip advisor members reading your review.

Kind Regards
Rochester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The location was ideal for us, near Oxford but on the way to Winchester.
Staff were always pleasant and helpful. We had been allocated an upstairs room but we were quickly offered a ground-floor one when my wife's problems with the stairs were apparent.
So, a good room plus its own conservatory (which would have been lovely at a lighter time of year) and a shared sitting-room with lots of lights and a large television. Certainly the best facilities we have had in this price range.
We are suspicious of Italian restaurants outside Italy and a little disappointed to find no fish (for perfectly understandable reasons). However, what we chose was delicious - again staff were helpful over our choice of wine. And then a nice bar area for before and after dinner.
Our good dinner induced us to order the full breakfast and again it was excellent - much better than so many.
We look forward to returning when we need to do a similar trip in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and we are very pleased that you enjoyed our stay with us. We really hope that we will see you again.

Godalming, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I booked one night as I was attending a nearby conference. The price was a little more than I wanted to pay but most other local hotels and b&bin were booked.

When I arrived, there was no warm welcome, just a man sitting in the reception area who hardly said a word but got up and got my keys. He showed me to a room in the 'annexe' which is just what looks like a converted outhouse/garage on the car park next to the main road! he door to the room opens quite literally straight on to the car park - it did not seem very secure. there was no explanation of services provided or breakfast time etc. there was a room service menu of sandwiches, which stated that you could also order from the restaurant menu-but there was not a menu in the room!

The room itself was ok- bed made up nicely, but it was cold and there was no blanket on the bed.
There was plenty of tea and coffee, but no milk whatsoever So I had to go across to the restaurant to get some.

The wifi did not work and the hair dryer was almost impossible to use.

The room was quite noisy being next to the busy main road, but it did quieter during the night.

The next morning I picked up a towel after my shower to find it was not clean-it actually had some blood on it-when I mentioned this to the owner she said she could not understand how that happened as the last person in the room was a man! In fact I already knew that as I had found his name tag from the conference he attended on the table....this led me to wonder if in fact the room had been cleaned properly.

Breakfast was ok but basic and disappointingly the coffee and tea was ready made in big push-down top flasks rather than freshly made. The floor had not been hoovered from then night befoe.

It feels as though the owners have lost the passion for running a B &B -it really wouldn't take that much to make it very good. Sadly the lack of care and attention made it anything but.
For the price they are charging you would honestly be better off elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

We have have taken all your comments on board and we are always keen to improve our customer service.

We would just like to make you and other trip advisor members aware that the mark you found on the towel was a rust mark. All linen and towels are all cleaned professionally and we have shown the company this towel who have confirmed that it is a rust mark. We are very disappointed that this mark was not found by either the linen company or ourselves and we apologies profusely.

Anna Merola-Hobbs

Been to La Fontana Italian Restaurant with Accommodation? Share your experiences!