“A really great find!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Watery Lane | Sparsholt, Wantage OX12 9PL, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wantage
“A really great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We needed somewhere to stay that was local for an event we were attending and came across this online. The room was super, the Staff were great (especially Mike) and breakfast was delicious. All in all a great stay! Thanks for having us Danni & Josh

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Wiltshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

About 2 years ago this was a scruffy pub and now it is a very plain, but tastefully decorated restaurant which is staffed by extremely friendly young people. If you are happy with quite rich food, some combinations were very unusual but certainly worked, and smallish portions then you have found the right place. We had guinea fowl which sort of worked, it had been boned and rolled up to look like a fat pale sausage and sadly was tough and dry but I would say ten out of ten for trying! Their prices are quite toppy and the wine list, although it has to cater for a wide ranging audience, could benefit from some advice from some professional advice!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We were a party of 8 - 4 adults, 4 kids, and managed to get an early evening table at short notice. All our dishes were wonderful - I'd recommend almost any of them. The John Dory was served with millet - very unusual, a little like crunchy cous cous - accompanied with a lemon butter sauce. the smoked eel starter was wonderful, as was the 'crispy pig's head' - not as challenging as it sounds - tender flaked pork in a deep fried coating, a little like spring rolls. Service was very friendly and obliging. The kids' meals were good too. The portions are on the small side, but very stylishly presented and really imaginative. I thought the prices were fair for the quality of cooking.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Wantage, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

My family and I have eaten at the Star Inn on quite a few occasions. From my experience it is a distinctly hit and miss affair - unfortunately on most occasions more of a miss than a hit. This is largely down to the serious void between the price (as a meal at the Star will cost you between £40 and £50 a head) the size of the portions and the less than polished service experience. I will at least credit the Star with very good quality food. Based on numerous experiences I must unfortunately say that it is more than likely that you will wait a long time for your food, you might be very surprised at the diminutive portions, frustrated by the very visible conferring between the staff as they decide what to do next and dismayed at the size of the bill at the end of, what could be, a seriously average evening out.

Room Tip: I have only eaten here as we are a local family.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I was going to call this review 'Star quality', but that would have been a rather glib and silly shorthand for the effort and attention to detail that this establishment delivers.
I rang looking for a room initially, and as they had availability, booked and headed over.
Location is lovely. The centre of a small hamlet, the main bar/dining area has been tastefully decorated in fresh light contemporary style, with a barn immediately adjacent converted into a few very nice rooms. The are not luxurious, but simple and comfortable with Egyptian cotton and fabulously comfy mattress's. Where 'The Star" truly shines,(sorry!) however, is in its dining.
I understand That the chef worked with R.Blanc at The Manoir, I can only imagine they were sorry to lose him as the set menu I chose was sublime.
Crab salad,citrus jelly, fresh pea puree, and peanuts (yes,brilliant!) set the bar pretty high.
Various takes on pork(belly,loin etc) whilst smaller than a la carte portion, was fabulous, followed and then the best treacle tart and citrus cream I believe I've ever had left me driven to write this. When I tell you that this was delivered by an attentive waiter with grace and charm for £19.95 and washed down with Macon Lugny at £25 a bottle, you will question the quality. Don't. this place is perfect. I enjoyed all of this fine dining as an enthusiastic yet untalented foodie wearing a pair of jeans, loafers and a shirt not tucked in. Welcoming ,relaxed,quality. Perfect.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
swindon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We booked for 7.45, our starters arrived at 8.45!! The mains at about 9.45!

We asked if we needed to order more veg but were told the mains were adequate. When they arrived the portions were so small it was a joke. My tenderstem brocolli was literally 4 of the tinest pieces I have ever seen. What there was of the food was tasty but there just wasn't enough of it.

By way of apology for the length of time we had to wait, we were offered complimentary drinks but the whole system had obviously broken down as we were told 10 minutes to wait from one waiter and then another came and told us it would be half an hour. A case of too many chiefs and not enough indians!!

To cap it off the bill came to £45 per head!!! Totally overpriced for what it was and it wasn't that great.

No, we will not be returning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Buckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We have been to the Star on several occasions and are always amazed at how they keep doing things so consistently well. The Chef (Dave) is one of the best you will come across and he is up there with the top UK chefs, you will not be disappointed… we never have been!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Star Inn? Share your experiences!