“Top Notch” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wantage
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Top Notch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed for one night with my husband and son. We stayed in the most lovely family room, comfy beds, lovely modern and clean bathroom, perfect for our needs. We had chosen to have lunch there on arrival day and was not disappointed - full compliments to the chef. Breakfast the next morning was superb. No unreasonable dining times, we were able to choose a time to suit us. The warm and friendly staff even went out of their way to find something that my fussy 6 year old would like. All round, beautiful decor and facilities, great service and we would absolutely stay again. Well done guys!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
East of England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Had a very rare opportunity to stay in a hotel on pleasure terms, rather than for work, as my son and I were due to take a tour of the Williams F1 factory, so wanted a hotel that was close to that location. The Star Inn in Wantage was about 10mins drive to our destination, so we booked in for one night stay, with dinner on Valentines evening!

Apart from the shocking weather, and terrible journey to the hotel, we finally found the hotel, and went in and got a very warm welcome from the owner, who showed us to our room, and told us where to go for dinner. Our room was a family room, and consisted of a double bed, sofa bed, newly installed bathroom and was very tastefully decorated to a high standard.

We quickly dropped off the bags, and headed for the restaurant, and despite it being Valentines, we got a table, even though we were late arriving. We ordered food, and again the owner was very friendly and we chatted about our visit regarding the F1 team. She informed us that the team use the Star Inn, and my son was very impressed when one of the drivers gloves and race top were produced and given to him to look at. This was very generous of the owner, and showed genuine interest in our plans.

Dinner was of a fairly good standard, and I have to say that the childrens food was exceptional value. My son had chicken strips, chips and beans, and this was all very fresh and well cooked, with a very generous portion size, for just £4.50. Most places charge a lot more. Food was good and soon we headed off to bed!

Back to the room, and I noticed that there were a couple of flies buzzing around in the room, which was slightly odd for February!! These were ushered out, and I then opened a blind to the ceiling blinds, and a whole bunch more of dead flies fell out! Yew!!

This happened again when we moved another blind, and also found a dead fly on the bed.

Disappointing given the high standard of the room.

Another small disappointment was that we had booked for three people, and yet there was only two cups provided, and enough supplies for two people, as there were only towels for 2 people. We also had complimentary shower gel, but it had already been opened and was half full!!!

We should not have these small, but important problems, especially not with children with us!

After a difficult nights sleep, no fault to the hotel, as it was a very stormy night, we went down to breakfast, and again the welcome was brilliant. The breakfast was of a very high quality, and well worth having!

We did mention the fly issue, and was told that "over 40" had been hovered up before we arrived, but offered no explanation or any great apology, and then went on to serve the other guests.

All in all the welcome is great at this hotel, and the folks are very friendly which is brilliant. Food was rather good, and not too expensive. But, the problem with the flies, lack of attention to detail on towels, cups and supplies etc, makes me mark this down by one star. I would stay here again, and I would hope that these small issues would be fixed!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

9 of us stayed for 2 days for a bit of a break after a hectic Christmas and new year. The star of this place is the chef and the fabulous food he produces. I would highly recommend a visit to this place if just for the food alone. Should have a Michelin star!

Stayed January 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Booked a party of 7 for Sunday lunch to be told that it would have to be at 1.30. Turned up at 1.20 to find it practically empty and waited an hour and twenty minutes before the starters arrived. No explanation and no apology from the man in a suit. What would happen if the place was full I dread to think.

Food was good, but not exceptional and I can't imagine why it won gastro pub of the year.

Only go there if you have more patience and time than I do, which my family tell me is not much!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I have to disagree with the previous review on the star inn, we visited there my partner and I for lunch and the service and food were top quality. And frankly as the reviewer stated " the odd fella in a suit," was most welcoming and friendly and truly listened to what we were talking to him about not just listening to listen, so thank you to the " odd fella in the suit!!" For making us feel welcome.

So overall thank you to the star inn for there lovely service and all the best for the future which I'm sure will be a bright one.

And to finish I believe the previous reviewer would fell more at home at maybe a harvester or a weatherspoons. Just my though.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Newbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We have a number of favourite restaurants within an hour of Newbury, I n particular order the Bingham, the Harrow, the Royal Oak, the Purefoy Arms, Chesil Rectory all very very good but on a price performance basis this is as good as any. Fish to perfection, slow cooked duck but the best thing is the balance of flavours. swede with just the right pepper is just one example. Chips as good as Dominic Chapman's and a vinegar idea you must see. Eau de Sarsons, only and verse comment please put salt and pepper on the table although not many will use them. This is going to be a two star experience within a year or two.

Room Tip: Sorry did not stay and can't unclick sleep quality, do not know
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for three nights in late November and can throughly recommend it. We came to relax and to see a few things, visit friends and take in the countryside. The rooms are in a converted barn at the rear of the pub, and are warm and comfortable and generous in size. The staff were incredibly welcoming and helpful, we turned up early on Monday when they are technically shut, but they still let us in to our room etc. The food is delicious with the same amount of thought and presentation given to the breakfast as was given to supper, with the same calibre of service which was made our stay even better. You get the impression they really value their customers, unlike many other places. We spent one late afternoon/evening in the pub in front of the fire which was exactly what we wanted to be doing after a long day.
The village is pretty and very quiet, and well located for Lambourn or the Ridgeway. We could have happily eaten at The Star everynight but had been recommended the nearby Eyston Arms at East Hendred which is also excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Star Inn? Share your experiences!