“Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Milton Common
Leeds
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed here for business 21/11/12, checking in went well, the room was finished to good modern standard and the Gym facilities were an added bonus. Unfortunately I thought the bar prices were high and the quality of food was average, I complained about a dinner course not matching the menu but was told the food in the kitchen was correct just the plate I had was missing an ingredient, no apology was received, I signed for dinner and my drinks. The following morning as I checked out I noticed a service charge had been added to my bill "To cover my drinks and food" I think adding this to the bill after you have signed is underhand, I pointed out that I did not wish to pay this charge and it was removed, I will tip if I feel it is appropriate and that the person providing the excellent service will receive some/all of the tip, not always the case when a service charge is added.
Overall average, quality building let down by high prices for average food & drinks.

Room Tip: Check you bill
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
OBjwhite, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear CADS9
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I am sorry to read that you felt that our food and drink prices were high but I would like to assure you that these are a reflection of those in the local area. I would also like to clarify the service charge; this is entirely discretionary and, I agree, should only be a reward for excellent service.
Julian White

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights at the end of October,the first room they gave us was lovely and big but unfortunately someone had been smoking in it a quick call to reception and we moved rooms within ten minutes, this room wasn't so big but still very nice, we were on a 2 nights 2 course dinner bed and breakfast deal. The food was good ,both at dinner and breakfast lots of choices. Just be aware there is a service charge added to your bill each time you use the restaurant.We would stay her again as it is a lovely hotel in a good location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
OBjwhite, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear oggyoggy,
Thank you for your comments; I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Just to clarify, the service charge is discretionary and is designed as a way for our guests to reward members of the team for their excellent service, only if they wish to do so and feel that it is deserved.
Rickmansworth, Herts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is the first time I have ever written a review but just had to about the Oxford Belfry........My friend and I have just returned from this fab hotel and cannot praise it enough. From start to finish we had an amazing time. The staff are a credit to the Hotel Manger and everyone single one of them from the reception, the bar, the restaurant and even the cleaners were the friendliest, politest and most helpful staff we have ever come across. Nothing was too much trouble for them. We spent two nights at The Belfry and must have had two of the best rooms in the hotel which were extremely large and comfortable (even had a walk-in wardrobe), with biggest bathroom and shower. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner and the food was very, very good in presentation, variety and was delicious. Everywhere we went was exceptionally clean including the Spa which we used all the time. Special thanks to Joanne and Tammy in the Spa who treated us like royalty and gave us such wonderful treatments. We cannot recommend this Hotel enough. The pictures on the web site do not do it justice but you really, really must try it. We will definitely be back with our husbands so they can play golf at the many golf courses in the area and we can chill out at the spa again. A HUGE THANK YOU TO ALL THE STAFF at the Belfry for such a lovely time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Mandy J,
Wow what a fabulous review! Thank you so much and I am of course delighted that you had such a great time with us. If you do book to return with your husbands, please do email me and we will ensure that you are looked after equally well on your return.
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Had a great stay, excellent value for a english hotel too. Rooms are adequate in size, maybe a little dated but clean and well equipped. Breakfast was good quality and included in our room price. Located a few miles outside Oxford but only a 10 minute drive from the park and ride.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear paulsnutter,
We pride ourselves on our value for money breaks and I am delighted that you had a good stay with us. Thank you for your comments and we hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and myself use Q Hotels regular and we found this hotel to be in a very handy location for Oxford and surrounding areas. Within a couple of miles there are 2 first class golf courses, good walks around Thame and easy access to Oxford. If traveling to Oxford use Park and Ride at Thornehill.

The hotel is in nice surroundings, the staff very helpful and polite.
The room was clean and tidy and decor was of an acceptable condition.
Notice that on a number of occasions trays with dirty plates and cutlery were left in corridors and at the bottom of the stairs from our room. (more than 12 hrs).

The restaurant staff were helpful. The food was good except for the Stakes that had to be sent back as we were unable to chew them.

As we were on a set menu we received no refund for the bad meal.

We are Breakaway members and stated in the conditions it says there is a reduction for Sunday night stays but we did not get one and payed the same price for each night.

This may be a problem when booking on line, the reception was not able to tell us why.
We were told on departure that all drinks left in the fridge are complementary so if you do use this Hotel ensure you are aware of this so they can be used. Our room was number 253.

Room Tip: Some Low floor rooms have access to the gardens.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Keith P,
Thank you for your review; I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your weekend stay and will investigate the couple of issues you mention. Just a note to clarify regarding the fridge/drinks in your room - these are included as part of your break in the QStar rooms only; on your next visit to QHotels, please do ask for these rooms if you'd like this facility again. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I have just enjoyed our honeymoon weekend at this hotel. As everyone seems to be saying, the staff here are first class! Whether it was reception, the bar, at breakfast or the chambermaids, they were all so friendly, polite and helpful. It really did make a difference to our stay. Our room was very clean and comfortable as was the rest of the hotel. Breakfast had everything we wanted and a bit more on top. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We originally had a room on the top floor which was very nice but we had a toddler and needed a bett...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
OBjwhite, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear julie j,
Thank you so much for your comments, I am delighted that you and your new husband were so well looked after. May I take this opportunity to offer my congratulations to you both and wish you all lots of happiness in the future.
Northants
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just returned from a weekend here with my husband and two friends. Very quick checkin - reception staff exceptionally friendly and courteous. We stayed right at the top in a standard double, but our room was very large as was in the roof - so had 2 extra velux type windows, so plenty of room to chill out - small table and chairs as well as separate desk area to double up as dressing table! Enjoyed a lovely meal in the restaurant and on our second night went into Thame and had a lovely meal at the indian restaurant in the high street.

We used the spa area quite a lot - kept very clean, and amentities good although lack of a jacuzzi was a shame, very unusual for a spa hotel not to have one.

Good value stay as we had a 2 night break at 40% with dinner on the first night - breakfast very enjoyable, although it was very busy on Sunday morning and we had to wait for our table to be relaid. All the staff should be given a pat on the back for their polite and courteous manner - nothing was too much trouble from anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear NorthantsAquababe,
Thank you so much for your comments; I am thrilled that you were able to make the most of our spa and dining facilities especially and that you and your husband and friends were so well looked after by the team here. I hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.
Julian White

Been to The Oxford Belfry? Share your experiences!