“A very pleasant break.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Kingham B&B and Inns
Lancashire UK
“A very pleasant break.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

We stayed for two nights on a deal with Travel Offers. The weather was freezing but our room was wonderfully warm and welcoming. In spite of previous comments on T.A the room and bathroom were clean and perfectly adeqate. My only complaint was that the bathroom radiator required bleeding, which I reported to reception after the first night, but nothing was done so the bathroom was quite cold ( a minor complaint ). The food was excellent and well presented and the service was very good. Overall my impression was of a very friendly, comfortable hotel which could only be improved by a slightly more "hands-on" management.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

Excellent hotel, good food, good service, good value. Very friendly staff, especially in the restaurant. Only complaint was that our room was not ready on the day of arrival, until around 3.00.

Farnham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights in freezing conditions, using it as a base for exploring the cotswolds. They have an aspiring first class cheff who provided michelin star quality meals on both nights. With some parts of the hotel dating back to the 11th Centaury it has cozy bar area with wood fire, comfortable lounge and dining room. Service is 1st class. The rooms are comfortable rather than grand, and some are in the process of being re-furbrished but comfortable, clean and and well equipped. Loveley views over cotswold country.

Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

I stayed here for one night at short notice and only one night it will be. (If I could have accessed trip advisor that day I would not have stayed as the previous reviews tell a tale)

The staff were brilliant at their jobs and the food I thought very good. The room however tells a different story; very tired with a thoroughly antiquated bathroom. A previous reviewer described the bathroom as dire; yes dire describes it accurately. It may have been modern in the 60’s 70’s but not anymore. I was pleasantly surprised that the bath was white (bar the lime-scale and staining) and not avocado taking into account the rest of the room. That was small and ‘fusty’. Some lights did not work and the furniture was a contender for a poor person’s antiques road-show. I hate it when two beds are pushed together to make a double, you know if it’s happened to you too; the ‘crevice’ that torments you! I could go on but there is little point in labouring on.

On a much brighter note, the food and wine are a completely different story. Great flavours, presentation and choice. I liked the belly pork and I thought the portion sizes appropriate. The serving staff deserve to work somewhere with better rooms. Breakfast did not disappoint either and once again it was really good.

Don’t be fooled by the inviting website. Come and eat here, but don’t stay unless you like old, tired, dirty and basic.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Millhousesales, Director of Sales at Mill House Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts on the Mill House Hotel. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the food Head Chef Matt Dare is certainly very talented.
I was sorry to hear about your disappointment with regards the bedrooms. However i am pleased to be able to tell you we are in the middle of a re-decoration program which is set to see all 23 bedrooms having a huge face lift by February 2010. I hope that you will come back to see the difference. We do have Zip and Link beds in order that we can accommodate twin rooms when they are needed, mattress topper can always be provided if requested to enable you a better nights' sleep.
Thank you for crediting the staff with being brilliant they are certainly a credit to the hotel
Tehachapi, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Michelin style food - very fancy presentation, very small portions and nothing special in the way of flavour. Three courses around 27 pounds, two courses 21. We were only shown the starter and main course menu, though I suppose we could have asked for the dessert menu to see what was offered.

Being allergic to fish, I found my options were extremely limited. The goat's cheese starter was accompanied by a 'beetroot salad and beetroot soup' - the salad was two cubes oif beetroot with a couple of small leaves balanced on the, the soup a shotglass of warm soup.

Main courses were heavy on the fish side - even the pork dish (a piece of pork belly about 3 inches by 1 inch with leathery crackling and a piece of fillet of similar size, accompanied by a teaspoon of green puree on which was perched a single scallop. The apple sauce was an artistic blob the size of a 20p piece).

With this ruled out, I went for the fillet steak, which carried a further 4 pounds upgrade in cost. The meat was cooked to my instructions (medium rare) but had little flavour. It was perched on a round of bubble and squeak comprising lots of cabbage stuck together with as little potato as possible. It was oversalted. The wild mushroom jus was artistically spread round the plate, so thin as to make it impossible to moisten the meat. Chunks of brocolli were spread around - not sure if it was meant to be the veg or just garnish!

Dessert was equally pretentious, but turned out to be unexciting to taste, despite the decorative effects. The cheeses were described with Capital Letters Throughout Creating A Bizarre Reading Experience.

As we were meeting with friends and family for a farewell dinner, a round table would have been nice as we could have all talked together, but the width of the table we were seated at meant that taling to your neighbour was the only option, unless you wished to shout at the person opposite and hope you could hear their reply.

Coffee back in the lounge (limited seating for big groups) brought a new experience when we were served something that remsembled quivering sea anemones. It turned out that they were 'orange jellies', but I didn't detect a particularly orange flavour and the sensation of eating them was rather unpleasant - perhaps sheep's eyes are similar in texture?

All in all, not an experience I wish to repeat.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
bedford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

this hotel is perfect for a quiet weekend away in the cotswolds.staff attentive ,food excellent ,rooms very comfortable.Been twice before and have booked up for christmas which promises to be great fun.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Mill House with my parents for two days for their Anniversay as on their website it looked like a beautiful place to stay. When we arrived the receptionist was not welcoming and did not offer to take our bags to our so called 'Superior Room's'.
We had booked two rooms next to each other but was told this had been changed, no explanation, so our rooms were on opposite sides of the hotel. Our room was very large overlooking the grounds but it was badly in need of a refurb! The bathroom was so out of date with a stained, wet net curtain in the bath where the shower was, the rest of the bathroom was so old fashioned I think it is a joke to call the rooms superior, we were very disappointed. My parents room was not much better. The only plus point to this hotel is the restaurant, the food and waiters were excellant. This hotel is NOT superior standard, do not take note of the pictures on their web site as they are very misleading.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Mill House Hotel? Share your experiences!