“Great Breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Kingham B&B and Inns
West Scotland
“Great Breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Stayed two nights on KGB deal. Nice rural quiet location with plenty of space for dogs to exercise. Well received at reception by a south african gent. Well mannered and took time with us to discuss our journey and hotel. Room wasold style coaching inn with creaking floor boards (as you find in these old inns) and bed was two singles pushed together - loud noise made when you turned though comfortable. Need more comfortable pillows. Room clean and acceptable though right over reception and could hear people early each morning.
Well received by breakfast staff who showed us to a table with real table cloth and real roses. Breakfast was very good and very filling, good service and quality products. Rated breakfast as the 3rd best I have had over many years going to hotels.
Pleasant checkout experience with friendly receptionist.
Only poor point was I had to ask 3 times by phone and e mail for reservation confirmation which did annoy me as I was travelling nearly 4oo miles to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ensure not in room 1 or 2 over recption.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Millhousesales, Owner at Mill House Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We take all comments on board so it is most helpful to hear your thoughts. I am sorry that you had to chase for your confirmation, this certainly should not be the case so I can only apologise that you had to do this.
To be ranked 3rd on your list of Hotel Breakfasts is an achievement that we are very proud of - I shall pass this on to the Chef. Many thanks indeed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights in July. A very relaxing part of the world, and a lovely hotel. The food was excellent throughout. The chef puts together new menus daily from fresh, local ingredients, and I'm sure we'll stay again!

• Stayed July 2012
Many thanks for your review. I'm glad to hear that you had a relaxing break at the Mill House and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My partner and I had a lovely stay at the Mill House Hotel until we encountered a number of customer service failures.

1) We asked if it was possible to have a slightly later check-out (as we wanted to stay until we had finished lunch). This standard question for a hotel seemed to make the receptionist very flustered. She even continued to say that the cleaners could come in but just leave our suitcases (which was not the point as we wanted to shower, etc. before we left. When the question wasn't answered I had to ask again. She then said that we should assume it is okay unless she contacts us. I asked how she intended on contacting us as we were going for a walk. She realised this was not a solution. We ended up walking off unsure as to whether we were able to have a late check out despite asking twice.

2) When we were trying to pay, we were stood at the reception. We said that we would like to check out and pay our bill. We were then sidetracked as a 'Mr Williams' wanted to pay his bill (even though he wasn't standing at the reception waiting like we were). Clearly this person was far more important than us as the receptionist actually stopped looking at our bill to fast track his through! Then we were interrogated as to what drinks/food we had ordered. Clearly, there needs to be a better system for dealing with this. Perhaps an idea would be to get people to sign their bill (if it is then going to be put onto their room). This would be an appropriate way for people to confirm they had ordered what they would later be billed for. Checking out then was an absolute mess and took far too much time. We were presented with a number but no breakdown of what we had been charged for. We were not convinced this was correct but paid as we had to leave to get a train.

3) Once on the train we were quite surprised that we had not been given a breakdown of the various items which were on our bill. We have never been to a hotel where this is the case. We then called the hotel to ask them to post us the breakdown of our bill as this is a legal obligation and we were quite curious about what we had ended up paying for. We were told that one would be sent to us in the post. That was on the 15th July!

So, in conclusion, the hotel was nice for the price and the food was amazing. I have pondered about whether this then deserves a review of 'terrible' but I believe the way that customers are treated goes a lot towards how you'd rate an experience. We were disgusted by the 'terrible' way we were treated and because of this we would not return so it does deserve the 'overall rating'.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Millhousesales, Owner at Mill House Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
All guest feedback, both positive and negative is valued by us and we always take action to correct any shortcomings.

You commented in your review that "The Hotel was nice for the price and the food was amazing". I am sorry that your overall experience was let down on check out.

I understand that the receptionist explained to you that it was her first day at the Mill House and that she would find out if it would be possible for the normal 11:00am check out to be extended to 1:00pm for you, which she did, and then managed to locate you to confirm this extension.

Unfortunately your later check out coincided with a busy Sunday lunch service and the trainee receptionist was part way through processing a bill requesting by another customer in the Restaurant.

We apologised for the delay this caused and a fully itemised bill was later forwarded to you.

We consider that your overall rating of the hotel as 'Terrible' is not warranted as a result of an unfortunate experience at check out.
Harpenden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at the Mill House for a couple of days We found the Staff very polite and could not do enough for you. Breakfast and Evening meal we though it was excellent.

Our bedroom was gloomy and dark it had an old wardrobe with doors that will not stay closed (you know the type) I thought the room was on the slant but it was the wordrobe..

I

Room Tip: To get a better room you would need to go to another Hotel...I think all the rooms are the same dull...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Millhousesales, Owner at Mill House Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Many thanks for your review. I'm glad that you enjoyed our Restaurant and were well looked after by our staff.
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the wardrobe doors. I will ask housekeeping to check this.
Hereford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night in August 2012, the first room we were given had mildew and damp patches all along the bottom of the wall, so we asked to be moved, the second room, room 17 was ok. The accommodation is disappointing in comparison to the restaurant which is fantastic. The pillows and duvet are lumpy to say the least!
The grounds are really nice, staff are very friendly and helpful.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review. I am very sorry to hear of the problems you experienced with your rooms. We will be undergoing some refurbishment in the rooms later this year and I will certainly take your comments into consideration.
I'm delighted that you enjoyed the Mill Brook Room Restaurant.
Dukinfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Had a long weekend Sat - Mon) here at the end of May - one of the specials which worked out approx £65 each. The Hotel attracted myself and my wife because it was dog friendly and we wanted to go away with our Kiki (pictured). It was the first time she has been away so we were not sure how she would behave. Anyway we arrived to in Kingham and were pleasantly surprised - the Hotel is beautiful in the middle on no where, just well kept gardens and fields that stretch for miles and miles as we later found out. Included in the deal was a "Cotswold Cream Tea" - I was expecting a few sandwiches with scones and jam however what I got was beautiful and freshly made sandwiches, fruit cake, chocolate brownies, a home-made fruit scone with homemade jam and clotted cream - I must admit it is the best Cream Tea I have ever had. The hotel interior is a little dated/tired and clearly needs some revamping/modernisation - I believe this is happening later this year. We had booked an normal room however when reception saw our dog, we were given an upgrade to the Lodge !!!! - it was just like being at home. The food,both breakfast and 4 course a la carte dinner were included in the deal and again was fantastic - I gave my compliments to the very imaginative chef on a number of occasions. The Restaurant Manager was fairly new and was just making his presence felt - from what we saw in the couple of night we were there this Hotel can only improve with this Manager - it was also clear that he like dogs. I guarantee that we will be back at sometime in the near future. Thank You for everything - we all had a fantastic time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Millhousesales, Owner at Mill House Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.
Wirral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We have just returned from a weekend on the KGB deal at this hotel. Kingham itself has very little to offer compared to some of the bigger Cotswold villages such as Stow in the Wold etc. we had an evening meal on our first night which worked out at £65 for the two of us with a bottle of wine thrown in which made the price about right in my opinion. As we awaited to decide what to have for our sweet I mentioned my love of Sticky Toffee Pudding which wasn't on the menu and the waiter overheard me and said they could rustle one up for me, which they did and it was delicious.
The normal drinks are a bit pricy and like all these type of hotels with a captive audience they never learn that if they lowered the price slightly people might actually drink more. On the Saturday night prime time the bar was empty. I appreciate that a profit has to be made, but give it. A try or have one or two dinks on offer.
However the grounds are picturesque and would be lovely for a wedding, especially for photos.
I agree with the comments about the rooms being a bit dated but it is an old building so some furniture has to fit in with the building type. Breakfast was lovely and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Overall a pleasant experience and with our offer about the right price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your review. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and your experience in our restaurant. We are always grateful to hear thoughts on all aspects of our guests stay so we will certainly take your suggestions regarding the bar into consideration. Thank you.

Been to Mill House Hotel? Share your experiences!