“Fantastic ” 5 of 5 stars

01608 658327
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Kingham Plough Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Kingham
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Bidford-on-Avon, United Kingdom
“Fantastic ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Second time I've eaten here and have to say it's one of the best places I've ever eaten. Food is exceptional, particularly the pheasant wellington. There aren't many places you can go with a 2 year old and eat food of this standard.

“Odd approach to customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

The Plough had been recommended to us, so we booked for dinner. The food was good - unusual, imaginative, well cooked. The customer service was poor from the outset though. The staff couldn't wait to get us into the restaurant rather than cluttering up their bar area (even though we arrived early, were respectably dressed, and there was plenty of room in the bar). Then none of the waitresses was able to answer simple menu questions - what was in the food, how was it cooked etc. Although one of our party was asked how she wanted her steak cooked, I was not asked about my lamb or told how it was prepared, and it turned up more rare than I like.
Then at the bottom of a bowl of salad, a small wriggling slug appeared. The waitress seemed mildly apologetic and offered one free drink (i.e. for one person) in compensation. We said this was inadequate, but the waitress (who claimed to be in charge of the restaurant) was unwilling or unable to offer any better than knocking one main dish off the bill. She behaved almost as though it was our fault!
Upshot: we left without ordering dessert, coffee etc (for which we went to the much nicer and friendlier restaurant down the road), didn't pay a service charge, will not be returning, and have suggested that the council's environmental health team pay their kitchen a visit to check for more slugs. Plus a poor review on Trip Advisor!
We have since learned that the Plough has a fairly poor reputation locally for its customer service - or lack of it.

ploughman08, Manager at The Kingham Plough Restaurant, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Firstly we would like to say we were pleased to read that you did enjoy so much of your meal here at the Kingham Plough. We were very sorry to hear about your meal being marred by the appearance of a slug at the bottom of your salad.

All of our leaves are freshly picked, come straight from Daylesford’s market garden and are hand washed several times. Unfortunately the very nature of organic produce means that small creatures can on occasion be present, however in the 7 years since opening this is the first instance of this situation occurring as we do take great care in the washing and preparation of our salad.

We do feel that the situation was not dealt with correctly at the time. The affected dish should have been refunded without question and we do apologise that this did not happen immediately.

Wallingford, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I was particularly hoping that this one night stay with evening meal would be memorable, as it was my wife's birthday treat. So the two of us with German Shepherd arrived on a Friday afternoon and checked in at the bar. The young lady who received us couldn't have been more efficient or charming, and having served us some drinks she told us she was going to change the dog's bed for a bigger one, as he was much larger than she had anticipated. She later showed me where the room was and after a couple more drinks we installed ourselves into our dog-friendly annex room which, though fairly basic, was clean and comfortable. So far so good.

Our evening meal was booked for 8 p.m. A few minutes before that we went to the bar where we thought we would sit and have a pre-dinner drink while studying the menu and wine list. Staff members wandered in and out of the bar and for a full ten minutes nobody even acknowledged us, let alone ask if we were dining or wanting a drink. Nobody appeared to be in charge of the bar as such. Eventually I managed to secure somebody's attention and order a drink. I then asked if we should order our meal at the bar or go straight to the table. We were told that we could be seated straightaway, so we took the menu and wine list with us to make our choice.

We are both adventurous eaters and love to try out unusual new tastes when away from home. However, in this very limited and quirky menu neither of us could find a starter that we fancied, so we decided to have a main course followed by a dessert or cheese. The mains menu was also so restrictive that I settled on steak and thrice-cooked chips, even though I had eaten steak the previous evening at home. The steak was very good and done exactly as ordered, but the portion was possibly just sufficient for a small child, already carved into five or six bite-sized slices. I thought that one of the purposes of cooking chips three times was to ensure that they could be fluffy on the inside while crispy and golden on the outside. Some of these looked as if they had just had a short initial blanching. The accompanying salad was boring and somewhat bitter, as well as being tiny. My wife had steamed lamb pudding which was apparently very tasty but contained hardly any meat. At £20 and £21 respectively we thought these main courses disgracefully over-priced, though if the portions had been more than pictures on a plate that sort of price would have been acceptable. Still, the dessert might make up for the deficit - or would it? A waitress asked us if we wanted to see the dessert menu and we said yes please. It took exactly 27 minutes for the menu to be brought, during which time I didn't notice any member of staff enter the dining room.When it finally arrived my wife said we had lost the inclination - I think this was wasted on the girl who just shrugged and said "No problem".

Breakfast was a little better, but again portions were minuscule. Four little crispy pieces of bacon would not have made one average rasher if glued together and there was about a cubic inch of black pudding and one small sausage. The baked beans would have filled a dessert spoon. I did ask not to have eggs or tomatoes, but my entire breakfast just occupied a small circle in the middle of the plate. I was happy to hear that it was possible to order espresso coffee rather than the usual hotel dish water, but this arrived almost completely cold, as did my wife's Americano.

There is a fine dividing line between hotel or restaurant staff being over-attentive, i.e. invasive, and under-attentive. The latter generally boils down to lack of training and such staff show no real appreciation of what is expected of them. Our Friday evening experience was a demonstration of such lack of direction, to the extent that we felt totally neglected throughout the evening. At a time when the place wasn't even busy it was particularly inexcusable.

I was asked when paying the bill on departure how the stay had been and I did voice a few of these concerns, which the young man in question noted and thanked me in a sincere fashion for making him aware of our experiences, which he said he would pass on.

On looking through others' comments I see that many others have had similar experiences in all of the areas that I have mentioned. These people are in danger of losing a lot of custom to their nearest competitor unless they up their game. We observed the service in the Wild Rabbit on Friday evening, when the pub was heaving, and it was working on oiled wheels.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear Howard

We are always disappointed to hear that a customer has not enjoyed their time at The Kingham Plough. Where possible we have taken on board your comments.

However, with regards to portion size we do find that the majority of our customers find the portions perfectly sized and we have had many comments to reflect that. We are sorry that you did not enjoy the bacon in your breakfast but if you have read some of our other reviews we have actually had customers say they would return for the bacon alone.

While we are always saddened to hear of anyone who has not enjoyed their stay, we are privileged to have so many customers who chose to come back time and time again. Unfortunately we are unable to provide an offering that appeals to everyone.

Buckingham
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Birthday lunch with my husband. Service, what service! The French waitress was off hand and surly. 45 minute wait for food! Food was excellent but I'll not be back as it's the whole package, your reputation will only take you so far

Dear Anne Marie C

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your visit. We were delighted to read that your food was excellent and will try to address the points that you have raised.

The menu does state that some of our main courses do take up to 45 minutes. If you have not ordered a starter, which was the case here, we do understand that this can seem like a long time. However, all of our dishes are prepared from scratch and cooked to order to ensure we maintain the excellent quality we are so proud of. This does occasionally result in some of our dishes taking the full 45 minutes as outlined on our menu.

We will look into the comments you have made about the service you received and address this as a matter or urgency. Thank you for raising this issue.

London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

My boyfriend and I were in the Cotswolds for a long weekend and went to the Kingham Plough for Sunday lunch. I was strongly advise booking in advance. I had the lamb and my boyfriend the beef, both were very good quality and the accompanying mint sauce was clearly home made which was lovely. The staff were very friendly and happy for us to relax and take our time rather than trying to seat another booking at our table. Well worth a visit. If we go to the area again we would return for lunch again.

Visited November 2013