“Charming, characterful, friendly and value for money” 4 of 5 stars

The Bell Hotel
13 Market Place, Faringdon SN7 7HP, England   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Faringdon
Devon, England
“Charming, characterful, friendly and value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Stayed for a night at the The Bell Hotel with my partner and young son. The owners were very welcoming and couldn't be more helpful when our son was poorly. The food was lovely, especially the breakfast. Ample parking at the rear. Room was large and comfortable. A very charming, characterful building - would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Prestatyn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I read the other reviews and must have gone to the wrong hotel. I was greeted by a man who did not know any arrangements e.g my bathroom was down the hall and wasn't sure if I had to lock it, internet login (was provided later in fairness). We established by visit that it bolted inside. It was a tired bathroom, no shower and as I was on business do I really have time for a bath a.m. No in case you had to guess. I was provided luke warm water form the bathroom tap in the morning...don't know where the hot went. Room was clean but not great. No headboard meant my pillows lay over some pipes so as people used water at night the flow through the pipes was an interesting interlude in what otherwise was a restful night. It was very restful as I could not get the tv to tune in either. When I descended for breakfast (notices said breakfast 08.00. I asked for just cereal and toast as I needed to get away...apparently if I had asked earlier breakfast could be arranged. I had gone down the evening before after working until 20.45 to ask for a sandwich to be told kitchen shuts at 08.30...made do with a partly eaten kebab from a nearby take out. The cereal was fine and the toast demonstrated a keen attitude to energy saving and environmentalism as it may well have been exposed to a nanosecond of UV rays had it been sunny. Yes you have guessed, not a happy bunny, a bit of info and effort would have gone a long way but my arrival appeared inconvenient my payment welcomed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Leicester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

We spent only one night at the Bell, but we would go back any time we`re in the area. Mel and Eddie are great hosts and it was obvious to us that it is a labour of love for them. They even welcomed our great, huge dog like a friend! Our room was very nice, the meals were phenomenal (best duck I`ve ever had) and the pub was a hoot. It was clear to us that the locals think a lot of the Bell and we completely understand.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We were warmly welcomed after a long journey, and had a hearty, tasty meal. A quiet night's sleep and a decent breakfast set us up for a busy day. It is good to see this traditional inn still keeps its character, and the ale was great! There was off-road parking behind the hotel, and at the front you step out of the main door straight into the heart of this old market town - a lovely location. Thank you for a good visit.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012 via mobile

I have been to many hotels in my recent travels but none so instantly inviting.
The Propriators, Mel & Eddie, feel like old friends and can't do enough for you to make you welcome and comfortable.
At first, what seems like an ordinary pub is transformed by the atmosphere of locals and guests alike. Then, out of nowhere, comes the food which ranges from good, honest pub grub to top restaurant quality cuisine. In fact, what ever your tastes or appetites, you are well catered for.
The rooms aren't fancy but clean and comfortable. The Bell Hotel doesn't try to wow you by being something its not, it wows you by giving you great quality for money and an honest, cosy stay.

• Stayed January 2012
Minehead, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

i have just got married in faringdon and for my wedding night i stayed in the bell hotel, when i got to the room they had placed champagne and chocolates there which was a wonderful touch, also breakfast was fantastic, i have to say the service we recieved was wonderful i had 7 bridesmaids and 3 of them stayed in the bell for 3 nights and none of us can fault it, we are all looking forward to stayin again thank you all for making my day more special

Room Tip: room 8 is beautiful and has a huge bath
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Bell Hotel in Oxford were myself ,my Husband my 11 year old Daughter and my Dog went for a break for the New Year. On reading the last review iv got to say that the Hotel itself is an old building and the rooms are perfectly suited to it, Clean Comfortable and spacious, and we had a great nights sleep every night we were there. The staff and the hospitality were second to none as we were were made to feel right at home so much so that my daughter was upset to leave , Mel and Eddie treated her like their own which was lovely thanks to both of you for that if you read this .The food at The Bell is amazing all freshly cooked , we enjoyed it so much that we just decided to eat there all day , every day. We brought the Bells in at the Hotel and it was just lovely, a nice log fire and great company. As for having our dog with us theres not many places allow that and it was much appreciated . If anybody reading this is thinking of taking their dog along there is a great walk you can take them just up the road from the Hotel called the Folly and its ideal . I hope this review helps anybody thinking of staying at this Hotel my self and my family will defiantly be going back and thanks again to Mel , Eddie and Team .

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!