“xmas dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Oxford, United Kingdom
“xmas dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Had a wonderful Christmas lunch plenty of it all nice and fresh staff very friendly and smiling even when they were very busy tables laid to perfection lovely crackers and decoration made you feel very comfortable home from home cant wait to go again

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“So dissapointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

After eating here on a number of occasions we dined here again, only to find the landlord and regulars involved in what can only be loud and offensively worded bosterous activity, still needs must and we like the food.....After an eternity waiting for a starter and unhappy with the activity going on we announced we were leaving as others felt the same way, never been back since and that's a shame.......

Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Oh dear oh dear oh dear!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

The first time we went to The Woodman (recommended by the Good Pub Guide app about 4 years ago) we had a lovely time and the food was terrific!

The second time, we had to complain about the service, but we thought we'd give it another go.

Yesterday, we ventured back for Sunday Lunch and were surprised to see that this previously heaving pub had quite a few spaces in its car park. It was not hard to understand why when the food arrived: I ordered the baked camembert studded with rosemary sprigs, something which I had had there before and was delicious! Imagine my disappointment, then, when I was presented with a couple of wedges of breadcrumbed, DEEP FRIED, camembert with not a sprig of rosemary in sight. While the item was removed from the bill, I notice that it wasn't removed from the menu, so it appears that this transgression of the Trades Description Act will continue.

My main course wasn't too much better - a particularly greasy pasta dish, which had quite obviously just come out of the microwave. Fortunately my son was happy with his seafood platter which we had to order because the children's menu was so uninspiring and, as my husband said about his main course, it's hard to b*gger up a joint of beef!

So, why did it get the two stars? Well, despite the pretty rubbish food, they do still keep a good ale, so if you're not planning to eat then this place is fine. Just don't expect good food to go with your drink!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wiltshire
“You certainly get what you pay for.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Having just left the Woodman after a 3 course festive meal I wonder where some of the previous reviewers actually ate. I have eaten several times at The Woodman both during lunch and evening meals and have NEVER been disappointed. The menu today, cooked for 30 of us, was delicious and varied. Service by Alex and the girls was second to none. This cost only £26.95 for three courses plus coffee and mince pie. Who coild possibly complain about that. If I wanted a cheap plastic meal I would go to the Harvester but I like value for money and so go to a lovely country pub where I know I won't be disappointed. Well done Steve and good luck over Christmas.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach
“Good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Went out with a group of people for dinner. I think everyone enjoyed it. The menu was long and diverse. I had Steak, Mushroom and Ale Pie served with seasonal vegetables and chips, and it was quite good. Wadworth beer on tap, which is OK beer, but nothing great. If you're there during the cold months, ask to sit near the fireplace.

• Visited November 2013