“Comfortable hotel with good restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

The Crown & Thistle
Bridge Street, Abingdon OX14 3HS, England   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Abingdon
Chicago, Illinois, USA
“Comfortable hotel with good restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed only one night during our Thames Path walk. The building was obviously very old but had been nicely and recently renovated. We were greeted in a prompt and friendly manner and helped with our bag which had been forwarded on. Although our room, number 3, was right overlooking the busy road, I was pleasantly surprised to fing the room well soundproofed. It was spacious and atmospheric with timbered walls, and had a lovely big bathroom with tub and luxury amenities. We slept soundly in a comfy bed. Although originally planning on dining elsewhere, we in fact ate at the friendly and well serviced restaurant which had undergone a recent and successful overhaul, and had a really well prepared meal.

Room Tip: Although not disturbed by traffic at night, I would check rooms at the back in future..
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Amesbury, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Just had a lovely two night break at The Crown and Thistle.
It was a bit of a struggle trying to find the car park. We phoned reception in the end and were guided to the car park which was situated at the back of the hotel. It has a different postcode to the actual hotel.
The hotel has a lovely feel to it. We discovered it has been recently refurbished and it really shows. Lovely decor throughout.
We had a Secret Escapes deal which included dinner, bed and breakfast on the first night. Bed and breakfast on the second night.
Although the service was a little slow during dinner and breakfast the quality of the food was wonderful.
We had room 20 which is quite a trek from reception through a rabbit warren of steps and little hallways ( adds to the character! )
The room was decorated in a dark green theme which did soak up the daylight a little but felt quite cosy at the same time. There was a lovely rain shower in the ensuite.
There are little added touches like a mini bar complete with complimentary bottled water. Little biscuits in kilner jars. Nice to have a tea pot and coffee pot on the refreshments tray.
There were no disturbances through the night due to being at the back of the hotel. If you have a room which overlooks the courtyard it is likely that you will hear the noise from the bar area and outside seating.
We would definitely visit the hotel again when staying in Abingdon.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel would be quieter. We had room 20. No noise at all.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This historic inn was built in 1610, remodeled in 2013 and is comfortable and modern today. I stayed one night during a hike down the Thames Path in late March 2015, and it was a welcome sanctuary after a day out in the raw English weather. My room (No. 19-Stroudwater) was spacious, cozy and very clean. It overlooked the road but road noise was minimal to non-existent. The bathroom was large with a new glass shower stall and double footed tub (suitable for two, but I was unfortunately solo this trip). I was on the B&B plan and had breakfast in the restaurant, which was comfortable and well attended. The menu was broad...continental to full English. A great find right in town and one block off the river. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Crown_Thistle, Manager at The Crown & Thistle, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
HI Guidontheroad

We're so pleased you chose to stay with us on your recent hike down the Thames Path. It is a spectacular walk and we're so lucky to have it on our doorstep. We're so pleased we could be your sanctuary for the evening and you clearly made the most of the facilities which is great to hear. We're so pleased to enjoyed your breakfast the following morning.

Thank you once again for the lovely review and we hope you'll plan another visit with us soon.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Very pleasant stay. Staff all good, room lovely, food excellent.
The refurb. on the 1600s coaching inn and its out buildings has been very well done, you get a real sense of the history of the site whilst having all modern facilities. There is a real buzz about the place. You do need to be good with stairs, steps and cobbles but that is the charm of this type of building. I would love to re-visit. (Get the sat nav address for the car park if you don't know Abbingdon!)

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Hi John,

Thank you for such a glowing review. It's great for the team to receive such wondering feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to do so. We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Crown & Thistle and we do hope you'll re-visit again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My partner has travelled extensively around the world for business, often staying in 4 and 5* accommodation and he said that he felt our room in Abingdon was the best room he'd had yet. I also thinl that this is such a delightful and well serviced place to stay and I can't find fault (save one detail I shall mention later).
The inner courtyard setting that greets you is magical, with warm lighting spilling out from the bar and the restaurant.
When we arrived at reception we were met by a very friendly young lady who took us directly to our room, offered to help us with our luggage and gave us a tour of our room, pointing out the air-con unit, the complementary and paid for mini bar options available. on request she also bought us the restaurant menus to our room, for room service.
We booked the bridal suite and it didn't disappoint, it was fantastic and such a reasonable price. We paid less for this amazing room than we would have for a mediocre one in nearby Oxford. Wonderful Bathroom with Rain Shower and a simply gorgeous deep, long bath. Sinking into that was a highlight. The bed was very comfy too.
The food delivered to our room was very, very well cooked and put together, really delicious and healthy. The Superfood salad that I ordered was filling buy light enough for a late supper.
Although we had the Bridal Suite, on our way to breakfast, I spotted another room through the open door as the maid was cleaning, it too looked gorgeous, very similar just a bit smaller.
The next morning we had a cooked breakfast. I had the vegetarian option and I'm still feeling the sense of how impressed I was at the time, at how wonderful it was. Healthy, well cooked without any hint whatsoever of cooking oil. Everything had been frilled or sautéed. It consisted of the healthier sweet potatoes, which I appreciated as I only ever eat this kind of potatoes at home. It's good to get good quality food, where it's clear the thought and the effort have been put into the menu. Delicious decaf coffee too.

To give you a sense of value for money, we paid £137 for the bridal suite, 3 course each for dinner in our room, a bottle of wine from the mini bar and a cooked breakfast each.
You could easily pay that for the room alone in Oxford or anywhere to be honest.

The only thing I would grumble about is that I couldn't find a way to turn off the extractor fan in the bathroom, so it was on all night and I found the sound quite irritating. I could also hear the hum of another one in a room above or below us. Our room had a window that could open, so I don't see the necessity to keep the fan on all the time, waste of electricity too. This kind of took the edge off the perfect experience, but everything else was just so good that it's not big deal. If/when I stay here again, I'll make sure to mention it to the staff.

I recommend The Crown and Thistle, I can't see how it can disappoint.
I certainly don't understand the "terrible" and "poor" reviews on here.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Wow!! Thank you for such a superb review spangolo. It's wonderful to hear how much you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us, particularly as seasoned travelers. As you state the hotel is over 400 years old and with that comes a very interesting history, one of them being our beautiful courtyard which is listed.

We're so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal. It is very important to us that we serve quality food and believe it is only possible to produce such dishes by using quality ingredients and as such we're very fussy when choosing our suppliers.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review and we do hope you'll make a visit to see us again very soon.

The Crown & Thistle
Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I booked two nights away for my husband and I through secret escapes for his 40th birthday. The hotel was spotless and quirky. We stayed in room 18 which was small but in keeping with the tradition of the hotel. The food was cooked to perfection and there was a large selection available. Staff were very happy and helpful.

We will return in the future and we highly recommend this hotel !

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
We're so pleased to hear that you had a lovely stay with us Micky304. Thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review, it can be really motivating for the whole team to receive such great feedback regarding their hardwork.

We do hope you won't leave it long before you book another visit.

The Crown & Thistle team.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2015

It's an early 17th century hotel, with a handsome courtyard, timber beams and labyrinthine corridors - very characterful and atmospheric. The bar has a great atmosphere and the restaurant is pretty good quality (though perhaps not so much at breakfast).

Our room was good quality with a large comfy bed and excellent rain shower, though I'd have preferred one of the larger rooms we spotted wandering down the corridors (with four poster beds). I guess that's what you get when you book through an Internet deal. The size was a bit of an issue because in the space of 2 days I bumped into either the wall or the bed (the gap between the 2 was tiny) at least 3 times, though admittedly alcohol may have played its part. I liked the TV which was attached to the wall but swung out so you could look at it at almost 90 degrees (you don't always get that in hotels) plus it had a mini-bar, which is a dying breed but I love to see as we always take champagne with us and need somewhere to chill it.

The location is great - it's just 100 yards to the gorgeous riverside and the ancient bridge. The Nag's Head is a great place for a drink while soaking in the view.

The breakfast on the 2nd morning didn't feature (for some strange reason) the juices, cereals etc that were left out on the 1st morning; also on that 2nd morning they failed to do my partner's eggs over-easy despite the instruction (though to be fair they corrected it immediately without fuss), and my eggs royale was cold. That seems a little strange - how could the eggs have got cold unless the dish was made quite a while earlier?

In any event, despite those few misgivings, it's a great place for a weekend break, though if you want to explore the area and don't feel like walking (you should walk though, the Thames Path is beautiful around here) make sure you take a car or use the bus as taxi prices are crippling.

Room Tip: Room 20 is too small - go for one with a 4 poster.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review tonysony. We're so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay at The Crown & Thistle. Being such an old building some of the rooms are slightly smaller than others and I am sorry to hear that as a result you bumped into some of the furniture on occasions, we do believe these room have their own character and charm.

Quality and consistency are very important to us and I appreciate you bringing to my attention that the breakfast on the second day was not up to the standard of the first day.

We do hope you'll consider another weekend break with us again soon.

The Crown & Thistle team

Been to The Crown & Thistle? Share your experiences!