“Barred for writing a bad review!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Barred for writing a bad review!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

On May 3rd 2013, I went to The Nags Head and had a horrible experience, so I wrote a review on TripAdvisor.

On Sunday 21st July 2013, I had returned to The Nags to have a few quiet drinks in the pub garden with my friends, when the duty manager came up to me and asked me if my name was Harriet.
When I replied yes, she said:
"We want to thank you for your review and feedback on TripAdvisor, however I am informing you that you are now barred for life from this pub from slagging us off from start to finish."
When I challenged the lady, she was rude back to me, when I said I wrote the review in light of the awful evening, she told me that I "didn't have a terrible evening." I insisted that the owner told me I was barred himself, which he did, and I left.
However - to add insult to injury, as I was leaving the pub, the owner and his friends, who were sat in the garden, applauded me as I left, in front of all the other customers. Incredibly unprofessional, immature, and outrageous behaviour.

I understand my review was critical and strong worded, but does not stand ground to be barred for. However, now they have forcefully lost my custom, and will be losing that from all my friends and family too.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Torquay, United Kingdom
“Good location.. thats all”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on a hot Sunday lunch looking for a nice meal by the river. After queuing for 15 minutes we expected the food to be good as it seemed so busy. The location was great sat on the Thames in the sun. However when the 'waiter' arrived with one of the meals and placed it on the side of the table without saying a word and walked off we felt a little invisible. The second meal arrived from a different waiter and she left as quickly as we tried to ask for condiments!
The food was not good, my burger was chewy and I struggled to eat half of it, I managed the chips but that was it. My partners roast dinner was dry and uninspiring, the veg was clearly a few days past it's best.
We both left feeling hungry and wishing we had sat at costa a few doors down for a sandwich at half the price. Poor service and poor food, its a shame a pub with such a great location simply relies on this to fill tables.

I would go again for a drink but thats about it.. the food is overpriced for the poor quality and lack of service.

Waterlooville, United Kingdom
“Poor Sunday Roast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Visited the Nags Head on Sunday lunchtime. Weather was hot but managed to find a nice table in the shade overlooking the Thames. Service was pretty good but was disappointed with the food. Our roast beef was very tough, tasteless & uneatable; we were expecting something a bit better than this for the high price we paid. Could not help but notice other people were not finishing off their meals either. Mentioned to the waitress about the poor quality of the meat & the reply was “let’s just hope it was a one of”. Would return for a drink but would not recommend this place for eating.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Best Sunday roast in years!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Lovely food, lovely staff, lovely settings!
Great portions, very tender -succulent beef and perfectly cooked veg and Yorkshire.
Sat outside on there large patio.
Weather helped!
I'll be back :0)

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chester, United Kingdom
“Sunday drinks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We called here as we were staying nearby on an early Sunday afternoon.
Impressive building in a fabulous location by the river,the weather was fine and the garden is huge and the sort of place you could sit for hours.

The food looked and smelled very good though we did not eat here.
Staff are friendly and large selection of beers etc while a really funky jazz band banged out the tunes to a very busy bar.
Had a really enjoyable few hours here with friends and would return to check the food out if in the area again.

People say pubs are in decline,but if well run there are still places ramming the people in and The Nags Head is doing the business - good for them.

• Visited June 2013