“Good ..... but watch out for the wildlife !” 3 of 5 stars

Oxford Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Marcham Road, Abingdon OX14 1TZ, England   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Abingdon
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Good ..... but watch out for the wildlife !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed overnight in Abingdon as part of a family get-together. The hotel was very good value for money. The room was clean and spacious and the bed comfortable. Breakfast the next day was plentiful and tasty. Like most buffets it could have been hotter.
We reported a noisy cistern to the staff and they told us that the rooms are being updated / decorated so this should not be an issue for any future visits.
Of more concern was seeing a rat in the grounds of the hotel close to the main entrance - we did notice pest control boxes at various points but, nevertheless, the sight of a rat made my wife jump.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review of our hotel following your stay with us. I'm pleased you found us good value and I would also like to thank you for your nice comments regarding the bedroom.

We are located in a town and naturally from time to time our little fury friends may pop up in the car park and then disappear just as quickly. I would like to stress to yourselves, and future guests, that the hotel has strict pest control measures in place (as you have witnessed first-hand) and has not had any pest activity within the boundary of the building for some years.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you will consider using us again when visiting the area.

Regards
Ben

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stopped for a night in the Abingdon four pillar as a part of a short weekend. The room is very clean and spacious. There are all the basic stuff which you normally find although the shower gel and the shampoo were in miniatures. The bed is wide and comfy and it's not as noisy as I expected. An ambulance has passed by couple of times which I could clearly hear but nothing has disrupted my sleep. The staff is attentive, friendly and professional. I went for few drinks in the bar and the atmosphere was relaxing.

The breakfast has spoiled it all for me. Food was cold and hash browns were very soggy and stuck all together, I genuinely couldn't separate it of each other. Black pudding was mashed and I have to admit I didn't touch it. Fried eggs and bean were club cold. I went to the breakfast room around 9ish so it was half way through the breakfast serving hours. I'm not sure if I meant to turn up at 8 on the hour to make sure the food is hot enough. The bread tasted like the Tesco basic line or value line, whatever it's called but again there were couple of other choices of bread which I haven't tried so again I might have picked up the wrong choices at the wrong time. I would recommend the hotel as they are good for what you pay for but avoid the breakfast as it's not only waste of time and money but sadly leave you with a bad experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your stay with us. I'm pleased you liked the room but was disappointed to read your comments regarding breakfast. I am sorry you felt unable to raise your points with the Duty Manager when you checked out but rest assured we will address any negatives and rectify them immediately.

Regards,

Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel for one night whilst visiting daughter. We stayed in a recently refurbished 'Connoisseur" room, which was pefectly adequate for our needs. Indeed, these rooms include complimentary wine, water, soft drink and first-class bathroom toiletries. The price included full breakfast and this was really good (I asked for kippers and these were served without any fuss by a very pleasant young lady). The Receptionist too was both friendly and helpful. Yes - it's opposite a Retail Park but it's only a short (10 to 15 minutes at most) walk into Abingdon town, and furthermore we weren't expecting The Ritz! For one or two nights then a stay in a Connoisseur room I recommend the place.

Room Tip: Choose a Connoisseur Room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your stay with us. I'm pleased you enjoyed all elements of your stay and I will make sure our Breakfast Chef knows you enjoyed the kippers.

I hope that you will stay with us or one of our sister hotels soon.

Kind regards
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed here for the weekend after spotting an excellent offer as we needed to be in the area to visit relatives.
On arrival we were a little taken aback to see it was almost surrounded by a retail park, not the best start. However, the friendly welcome from reception staff and the spacious room more than compensated for that. Although the room decor was a little dark and dated it was very clean and functional, decent TV, free wi fi, plenty of hot water, VERY comfortable bed and lovely duvet, heating that you can control personally and two comfortable chairs. All that one needs in a hotel room really. Breakfast was fine with plenty of choice and very pleasant service.
A bonus was that the hotel is within walking distance of the town centre.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay with us. I'm glad we were able to meet all your requirements and I hope that you will consider staying with us again when in the area.

Kind regards,
Halifax, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I usually have to survive the Four Pillars about once a year as a guest of one of my suppliers. I cannot think of a single positive thing to say about this tired hotel, with typically poor staff and incompetent management. On my last visit the restaurant which had originally refused us admission because they had a group in another room thought it acceptable to eventually serve a gelatinous resotto with black charred chicken and garlic bread, the Duty Manager refused to leave reception, and I suggested he delegate another member of staff to cover reception I was told I was now being rude ! We all have different views and standards but this hotel has never failed to under perform.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

I was most disappointed to read of your experience and am sorry I did not have an opportunity to meet with you at some point during your stay to discuss the points detailed in your post. I would be grateful if you could supply me further detail regarding your stay via ben.sanders@four-pillars.co.uk so that I can investigate further and ensure that our staff receive the relevant corrective training.

Yours sincerely,
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is our 4th Christmas break that we have stayed at the Four Pillars Abingdon and one cannot fault it. Great value stay from arrival to departure we enjoyed our stay immensely. Rooms are spotless and warm and grateful thanks for the lovely Christmas presents and card, a lovely touch and as always much appreciated. Delicious food, cannot fault any of our Christmas meals, great chef onboard( the soups were divine) nor the delicious sandwiches and cakes and afternoon teas provided, the hotel provided entertainment too from a quiz, disco, vocalists and and a fun race game afternoon. The staff go out of there way to ensure everyone has a lovely stay, many thanks to Ben the manager the lovely friendly reception ladies, the cheerful and friendly bar staff, the gentleman and ladies who did the quiz and racing, you made our and everyones stay most enjoyable. We were pleased too to meet up again with guests we had met previously at the hotel. It's always a pleasure to stay at this lovely hotel as we always have such a lovely time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving such a kind review following your Christmas break with us. We're in the process of planning the Christmas and New Year packages for 2013 and we'd love to see you again in December.

Kind regards,
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here with a group of friends for a 3 night New Years Break. The previous 2 years we have been to the Witney Four Pillars and really enjoyed it but this year they changed from adults only, hence the change to Abingdon for us.

We all upgraded to a connoisseur room but didn't feel that it was worth the extra money. The rooms were very clean and the staff were very helpful. Breakfast on the first two mornings were very good although we had a long wait for both eggs and toast on all three mornings. On our last morning there wasn't any yogurt or grapefruit which was disappointing. The set dinners were very good and all the food was piping hot, but the choice of main courses were limited. On New years eve there was only a choice of guineas fowl or vegetarian. We noticed that one table had roast beef and we would have liked to have been given this option. On New years day, the choice was salmon, chicken or Thai veggie curry but yet again another table had meat pie. The portion of curry was so small my husband asked if he could have another one and this was quickly brought.

The New Years Eve Countdown was a fiasco. The DJ kept playing despite people telling him it was almost midnight, then suddenly he played Auld lang syne. The poor piper was just standing there waiting to pipe in the New Year which he did about 5 minutes into the new year and the DJ was still playing his music at the same time. What we missed was the lack of a party atmosphere. In all fairness I don't think that this was all the hotels fault. We sent some rocket balloons flying around the room which were totally ignored. Nobody wanted to join in. At Witney there was always streamers, blowers and rocket balloons on the tables but that was lacking at Abingdon.

New Years Day. the evening Duo were excellent but the guests were for the most part sitting at their table like zombies. It was how I imagine New Year in a Care Home to be. Our party are all 60+ and feel that life is too short to be miserable.

So all in all, we did have a good time but we will find another venue for New Year. It is not the hotels fault, it is just that the type of guest that goes there is not our type.

Room Tip: Don't bother upgrading
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review of our hotel following your stay with us over the New Year period. It is clear from your remarks that there were some elements of your stay that you were not entirely satisfied with for which I offer my sincerest apologies. I am always disappointed when guests prefer to leave anonymous comments on a website rather than speak to me, or another member of the management team, in person prior to checking out.

I am glad you enjoyed the food and I am sorry that you felt the choice was limited. As was stressed at the package welcome meeting we were happy to accommodate any request (within reason) that was made by guests staying with us over the New Year period. Our Head Chef spoke with a number of guests over the 4 days and was able to meet all requests fully; I know he would have been more than happy to do the same for you.

I understand there was a miscommunication between the DJ and the Piper at Midnight and this has been followed up with the parties involved, I am sure this did not detract from what seemed to be a very enjoyable evening for all guests. I am sorry you were disappointed by the lack of rocket balloons but following an incident at a non-Four Pillars hotel in the area our Group has held of offering these as a party favour.

I found the comments regarding your fellow guests to be inappropriate for a web site designed to review hotel facilities.

Finally, should you wish to discuss your review further please contact me directly via ben.sanders@four-pillars.co.uk

Regards
Ben Sanders

Been to Oxford Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel? Share your experiences!