“Very good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Oxford Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Marcham Road, Abingdon OX14 1TZ, England   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Abingdon
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Very good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here for £40 for the night as part of their Christmas dinner and dance package.
Staff were very attentive and well turned out, we had a standard room which was spotless and had a very comfortable bed with good pillows,

the only let down was the three course dinner because it was frozen vegetables and roast potatoes with a synthetic taste, dinner was followed by the usual disco which got everyone on the dance floor.

The breakfast was very good with a self service and everything that you would expect, we were very impressed with the bacon as there were really good cuts that were cooked to perfection, the breakfast staff were very stretched however they were doing a fantastic job, we would recommend staying here however we will only stay on a bed and breakfast basis next time.

overall very good value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay at the hotel. I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed the party night and breakfast the following morning.

I'm sorry that your vegetables and potatoes where not cooked to your liking. I would like to assure you, and any future guests reading this reply, that the only frozen food we serve is ice cream. All of our produce is freshly prepared on a daily basis, and where possible sourced from local suppliers.

Thank you again for leaving a review, and if I can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards
Ben Sanders

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Initial greeting from reception staff was excellent. In one of their 'upgraded' rooms, and was like a small town holiday inn in 1975 US. Shower in bath with rubber mat etc, plastic sheet crtain so water everywhere...
Ate out at that night at an Italian (Limonchello) in town, excellent!

Breakfast on 1st morning was a bit of a shambles, all hot food trays empty, so in the end after abut 10 minutes gave up waiting and just had toast.
There for a seminar, and room was okay. Carvery lunch was okay, but probably aimed at local pensioners rather than delegates.
Dinner in hotel 2nd night, food okay, but a bit like a 70's dinner party. Prawn cocktail, pâté etc, followed by beef pie, well, stew in a dish with a pastry hat. Dessert was a shop brought meringue nest with a couple of bits of sliced fruit.

Bar average, but despite a group of us there, shutters came down at 11:00 sharp, can't remember last hotel I stayed in that closed bar that early with residents there..

Overall okay, but needs to move on from late 70 's

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere? Upgraded rooms well below Hilton or even premier inn, and at 120 per night not cheap
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent visit with us. I am sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay.

I am sorry that you felt your room was "like a small town holiday inn in 1975 US". We have recently upgraded our connoisseur rooms with feature wall paper, iPod docking stations, flat screen LCD TVs and Clarins toiletries, plus further goodies and extras. Our baths are fitted with a non-slip base but as an extra precaution we do provide bath mats. By placing the shower curtain inside the bath you should avoid spilling water on the floor.

I am sorry that your breakfast experience was not at the standard you and alike would expect. We aim to keep the food in our buffet as fresh as possible and will top up little and often to ensure this is the case. On the occasions when a large number of people visit the buffet, it is inevitable that some items will run out. Whilst we do our best to keep on top of this it is sometimes unavoidable, however I do agree that waiting 10 minutes for items to be replaced is too long.

Our Hotel serves classic British and European dishes. These do include prawn cocktail and traditional pates. As you have correctly stated in your review, the Beef and Ale pie is served in a bowl topped with a puff pastry lid. We do not encase the entire pie with pastry as it allows the dish to be served gluten free when necessary. All of our food is prepared at the hotel and the meringues were certainly not shop bought; I am sorry if their presentation was disappointing.

I will follow up your comments regarding the bar closing at 11pm as the shutters should not be pulled down until 11.30pm at the earliest. Once the bar shutters are closed service is available from the Night Porters.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

mpg125sd
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Paid extra for a Connoisseur room. It was nice enough but nothing special for £99 a night. Had dinner at hotel first night. Very unimpressed, does not look like a hotel restaurant. Been to smarter looking pub/ restaurants. Food was OK again nothing impressive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry you were disappointed with the appearance of our Bar and Grill. We hope to make some positive changes in the coming weeks that will improve this.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The staff in this hotel were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Our room was clean and comfortable and as a family of 3, it was nice that our son actually had a single bed to sleep in and not the usual sofa bed! We had a Dinner, B&B rate which was very reasonable and only had to pay a small supplement for our son's 3 course dinner. The food was good and nicely presented for our evening meal and plenty of choice. We were off sailing on the Sunday so a good hearty breakfast was in order and we were not disappointed. Again, plenty of choice of continental and hot food.
The hotel is a little dated BUT everywhere is very clean and tidy. I think the rooms overlooking the front of the building could be a bit noisy with traffic at night but we were to the rear and had a very comfortable night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I recently stayed here while on business in Oxford? I had a superior room and was pleasantly surprised. It was spacious, comfortable and even had Clarins products in the bathroom. The hotel staff were all friendly in all areas of the hotel. I ate in the restaurant on two nights and for breakfast, both of which were good. I would stay here again on business or pleasure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Billinge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Firstly, the room........... smelled stale (which is why the cleaners opened your windows every time they came in to clean it) however, the cleaners were always thorough. The rooms though are outdated and worn and are in great need of an upgrade (felt like i was in a 2 * hotel due to decor etc) Staff were always helpful though both on reception and in the bar.

Due to staying on the board basis of dinner, bed and breakfast my main concern was how good/bad the food was going to be. Breakfast was not great tbh i tended to stick to cereals and fruit (although there wasnt a great deal of fruit to choose from). Evening meals from Sunday though to Wednesday night were beautiful (from the chefs special to the steak pie) but then on Thursday night (my last supper as it were) and the chef had changed...........well what a LET DOWN. The steak was burnt, the mash was so far from edible i had to complain and my friends ordered burgers (chargrilled to black) and the tagliatelle was tasteless. Whoever the chef was on Thursday was no where near as good as the chef prior to that or even close to being on par with him. I hope the hotel take note of this.

I would not stay here again i would stay at the 'sister' hotel (four pillars Thames) which has a lovely bar, rooms and has a gym with pool, sauna steam room etc.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has been renovated (however they arent MUCH better than the others)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that all elements of your stay were not satisfactory. We are currently finishing a refresh of the upgraded rooms in the hotel and once this is complete we will begin reviewing the standard rooms. I am pleased you found the rooms clean.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the evening meal on the last night of your stay. I will ensure our Head Chef sees your comments and I will ask him to investigate further.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed in the hotel on a business trip, for three nights. The room was very dated, shabby, in need of a proper clean, and noisy because there was a road just by the hotel. The bed was the most uncomfortable I've ever slept in. Dinner was adequate but nothing exciting and I didn't think it was worth the money. The reception staff weren't really nice or helpful. On a more positive note, breakfast was nice, plentiful and the restaurant staff were nice. There was also a safe (free of charge) in the room and the room was of a decent size. All in all, the stay wasn't a particularly nice experience and I simply couldn't wait to check out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your experience was not up to the standard that you and I alike would expect. I will personally investigate the comments you have raised regarding the cleanliness of the room and condition of the bed.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the restaurant staff and breakfast offering. Should you wish to discuss your stay with us further please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Ben Sanders

Been to Oxford Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel? Share your experiences!