“Good location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Abingdon
West Sussex
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed at the Upper Reaches Hotel for 2 nights, Saturday and Sunday, in September. The room was the four poster suite which was alright but quite musty smelling. As it is on the ground floor it was noisy in the evening with guests enjoying drinks at tables literally just outside the large windows.
The staff on the weekend shifts were pleasant and helpful, however the breakfast staff on Monday morning were abrupt and really quite rude. After waiting for 25 minutes for simple scrambled egg I was presented with a plate of MICROWAVED egg - yuk! The cost of the breakfast was refunded, but the attitude of staff in the dining room tainted our whole experience. What a shame they let the hotel down.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on the four poster suite.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel for a short break. It was a last minute decission by me and my partner. All I can say is we are glad we chose the Upper Reaches Hotel in Abingdon. The town itself is a small market town, with a market in the center on a Monday morning. Although not a hive of activity it suited us for a nice relaxing stay. The hotel is only a 2 minute walk to the center and from there a short bus ride to Oxford for shopping and a bit of sightseeing. The check in at the hotel was very easy and everything was explained by the friendly receptionist (Sheree).

The room was showing signs of wear but it did not detract from our stay. The room was large and a comfortable bed and a roomy bathroom - great for the misses. We ate on only 1 night, but the staff in the restaurant were attentive and friendly, even recommended a walk to the lock - which we did.

Breakfast on each morning was cooked fresh to order - brilliant! I don't fancy hot buffets, the food always looks past its best. I must admit I was rather greedy and had A cooked breakfast every morning - well after all I am on holiday.

Over all we had a lovely stay and will not hesitate to stay at this hotel whenever we are next in Abingdon.

Thank you to the staff and management, keep up the good work.

Swansea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed in this hotel on Friday night and was aware of some of the previous comments made about the hotel but had little choice as all other B&Bs in Abingdon were full. I wish that I had taken heed of the other comments and choosen to stay in another village, I would rather have driven an extra 50 miles into Abingdon than stay at the Upper Reaches.

Where do I start ...

The hotel is in such a beautiful location right on the river and looks really appealing from the outside. DO NOT BE FOOLED!! As soon as I checked in I knew that I had made a mistake, the carpets were worn, corridor walls scuffed, curtains slightly torn, old fashioned decor, dirty wall paper.
The Classic Suite room itself had a great view and was large, however considering Suites are often the top rooms a hotel has to offer,I dread to think what the standard rooms are like. The carpet had holes in it and was covered with a cheap and nasty rug. The bath had dirty grouting and the loo pan was dirty with no loo brush. The towels were small and I could barely wrap one around me, meaning that I had to change in the bathroom as my son was sharing with me. The light by the side of the bed was stained, as was the furniture.
I had booked the suite because I was told that they could move in an extra bed for my son. I was told by Dennis at reception that there were extra duvets and pillows in the closet. They made up a soaf bed where the matress was about 1.5 inches thick, there was no duvet and one pillow, they used a dirty hard old blanket.
My bed had a very small sheet on it which could not be compleetley tucked in as such the sheet moved through the night and I ended up sleeping on the raw matress - no matress cover - youck!!
To top it all off, when I phoned to complain I spoke to the recpetionsit who was as good as useless and then the managress phoned back - If I was the owener of this hotel I woudl sack her on the spot! What a stinky attitude, she said that she couldntt do anything and that If I wanted to leave I could do so - it was 10.30pm at night. I cant believe that there were no extra duvets in the whole hotel or at least and extra sheet for my bed.

Another warning, I had choosen the specail deal paying to eat in the restuarnet - we were the only people i n the resturant and were originally placed at the back next to the weir where there were a whole laod of pigeons and pigeon poo to llok at - not exactly appealing to looko at. In fairness the waiter did move us and tried to cheer us up. The food was porr, we had to send the steak back as it was raw and when it was returned it tasted burnt - we didnt wasnt to complain again.
Needless to say we didnt return for breakfast and chose to eat in a cafe in Abingdon rather thean return back to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel while I flew home to visit my family and friends. I felt the need to write a review after seeing some of the bad ones on here and I felt they were very unreasonable! the location is perfect, all the staff were amazing, very helpfull and went out of their way to make sure i was happy and enjoying my stay! Dinner in the restaraunt was delicious the food was beautifully cooked and well presented, great value for money the staff very attentive, friendly and helpful. I stayed in a modern room, lovely and plenty of space the bottled water was a nice touch also tea, coffee and biscuits. Dont be put off by some of the reviews see for yourselves. All in all I had a perfect stay and next time I fly home to visit I will most certainly be staying here again!

• Stayed September 2013
minnishjohnson, Manager at The Upper Reaches Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Bopeep,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review.

I am glad we were able to make your trip home to visit family and friends even more enjoyable.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at the Upper Reaches before and I was glad to come back for another stay. The staff were friendly and polite and Sarah in the restaurant did make us laugh. The rooms have everything that you expect for a 3 star hotel, some of the older style rooms overlook the river. Check in and out was a breeze, the reception team were helpfull and efficient. Overall the staff are a credit to the hotel. Some of the older style rooms are starting to show their age, but it did not detract from a very pleasant stay in this lovely old building.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Maddymadcat,

Thank you for your kind words. I am pleased you had the opportunity to visit with us again and everything was up to standard.

Look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Kind Regards
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Room shabby small , for £116 for a double room was a compleat rip off-would not recommend to anyone the grout in the bathroom was dirty the loo handle smashed into the loo seat when it was up & flushed the wallpaper was pealing , carpets thread bare , The staff where nice when you could find them , in the evening I had to keep going to the reception to get a member off staff to do us drinks at the bar ! The only plus point was the breakfast , which was very nice served lovely & hot , well done to the catering staff ! The room & the most was only worth £60 very disappointed , will never return

Dear Sallyrutter,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointing with your stay with us, also that you choose not to contact any member of the team to discuss your concerns.

At the time you booked we had River View rooms and also Suite rooms available, if space is of concern to you.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our freshly cooked breakfast and hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards
Hereford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Great location by the Thames. Service was good - breakfast was great. Our room had a very worn carpet, hole in the quilt cover and the decor/furniture was dated. The food at breakfast was great but let down by the amount of clutter on the table - my ull English arrived on a plate so big that it hung off the table! - the menu holder was dirty and the offer of funeral services was a bit strange to see. The condiments basket was full of vinegar, mayonnaise and horseradish sauce but no ketchup or brown sauce.

Dear SeanHumby,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
I am sorry to hear that things were not up to scratch for you.

Although the furniture is getting worn it is still very good quality, as for the duvet cover they are designed with a hole in each side for ease of changing.

Every item on our breakfast tables is required for breakfast service, not there just to clutter up the tables.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Kind regards
K Johnson

Been to The Upper Reaches Hotel? Share your experiences!