“Excellent food and service” 5 of 5 stars

+44 1865 735846
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Flowing Well is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 72 restaurants in Abingdon
Cuisines: Tapas, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We went for a family Sunday lunch to the Flowing Well and had a very enjoyable meal. The food was excellent - we all had the Sunday roast and some of us attempted the Daddy's Roast (pork and beef)! The service was excellent too - very attentive but not obtrusive. The restaurant was very busy and a real buzz in the place. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable time and would highly recommend the Flowing Well.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sophie C, Manager at The Flowing Well, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Paul B,
Thank you very much for your recent review of The Flowing Well. I'm glad you enjoyed your Sunday lunch with us. The Daddy Roast is definitely a popular option. Why have one roast when you could have two. We look forward to seeing you again. For Easter weekend we will also be doing an Easter Egg Hunt in the afternoon. Phone up for more details. 01865 735846

71% Recommend
London
“Eating Well”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We were staying overnight in Abingdon, a lovely town, and had discovered and booked a table at the Flowing Well on line.
The food was very good indeed, my wife's mushroom risotto was as good as any I have tasted and my calamari cooked to perfection. I had baby rack of ribs to follow and the meat just fell off the bone my wife said her sea bass was delicious. The house wine is a very acceptable trebbiano with a slight sparkle to it.
The staff were all very pleasant and I would thoroughly recommend the Flowing Well.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food. shame about the waitress”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The food was fabulous quality, I had crayfish salad as a starter and my partner had the squid. Both yummy. The main courses were generous size and amazingly tasty - ribeye steak for me done to perfect medium rare, locally shot pigeon for my partner done in a winter berry sauce amazing! BUT...the waitress, aCanadian gal, was a pain in the proverbial, she kept coming ovrr every two minutes interrupting our intimate dinner asking if everything wwas ok. We eventuallystopped being friendly and polite and gave monosyllabic responses.. After the meal she offered us coffees but said the kitchen was closed for desserts! I know from experience in the industry that she only had to go fetch one frim the chiller and that she should have asked us if we wanted to pre-order desserts before the kitchen closed for the night.We were not given the option. Very disappointed about that. Apart from that it was lovely and I will go there again hopefully to be served by someone else!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oxford
“Quiz 'n Chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We've lived 6 miles away from the Flowing Well for 23 years, & I'd never been there before last Wednesday. There were four of us, & we quite like a quiz, so we went along. Three opted for fish & chips, & one had pizza. All arrived good & hot, served by cheerful, helpful staff. Self & Bro-in-Law drank St Edmunds bitter, which was nutty & sharp. We changed tables after we'd eaten as our original was in a draught from some french doors. Our second roost was by a wood stove, so we stayed cosy whilst we attempted the pub quiz. We came 4th, so we'll have to try & improve on that next time. The toilets were clean & well maintained. Recommended.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Very expensive for inadequate portions!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We came for Sunday lunch with 12 of us and everyone had the roast. We were told that there were only 3 potatoes each so ended up having to order extra portions of veg for everyone! Not hug,ey impressed. Wine was nice and service fine though.

Visited January 2013