“Great Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Groveport
Houston, Texas
“Great Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Great price, wonderful staff (especially Ms. Sally), great location!! My room had an electrical problem one night that couldn't be solved right away. Maintenance offered to move the refrigerator in my room to an empty room so I wouldn't lose the food I had in it. The problem was resolved and I was very happy. The other guests were quiet and friendly. The only reason I didn't give this an excellent review is because there was no pool or playground for my grandchildren. However, there was a very large grassy area for them to run and kick balls around in. I will stay here every time I visit Columbus and the surrounding areas.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Shreveport, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The company I work for paid in advance for my two week stay. I turned in my check-out notice a couple days before checkout, for Thursday. But Wednesday morning, I was rudely awoken by maintenance people coming into my room while I slept. Minutes later, the manager called me and insisted that I was supposed to have already been gone! She said that she had three people waiting for my room, and I needed to clear out as quickly as possible. It took my company nearly an hour to get it straightened out with the front desk here, but they finally admitted they were "mistaken" and left us alone. But later when we went out to lunch, we returned to find our cards didn't work. They gave us new cards, and said "that's right, you *extended* your stay."
Um, NO, I didn't *extend* my stay, I was ALREADY PAID FOR!
I don't know where they find the rabble that run this place, but maybe they should hire people who can COUNT! Just because somebody is homeless and will work for free lodging doesn't mean they should be hired to run a hotel! Maybe all those drugs had gone to her head and that's why she was confused about what day it was and when I was supposed to check out....

Room Tip: Avoid this place if you actually want to SLEEP!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Groveport hotels

Shreveport, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed here at the beginning of 2010, when it was brand new. Everything was spotless, and nice business people stayed here. It was so quiet, I could have sworn I was the only guest there.
Let's just say, that's not the case anymore!
After reading the other 4 reviews, I can certainly say they are on the money!
This place is full of junkies and drug addicts. I have seen them sitting out in their vehicles shooting up and smoking marijuana. Since the staff is usually only a few feet away from all this, smoking cigarettes outside in the parking lot, I'd say they can't possibly be unaware of the drug problem.
The schoolbus drops off dozens of children here every day, proving that many families have chosen this place as their new ghetto-fabulous permanent home. Those families allow their children to play basketball in their rooms, run up and down the hallways, run around and play outside unattended in the parking lot. I complained about the basketball playing child living above me, because I work nights and *TRY* to sleep days. The staff passed on the message, but nothing changed. Finally, one day, after two weeks of being awoken by the basketball bouncing above my head, I tapped my ceiling with a broom handle, to signal them to keep it down. Did it work? Well.......you'd have thought I was the unibomber! The staff called my room to fuss at me for disturbing the poor tenant above. I explained why I had tapped the ceiling, that I had already complained about them playing basketball up there, but the staff told me "Well, she has children, so naturally, there's going to be some noise."
Guess what? I travel with my wife and our FOUR children under age 10, and we stay in hotels year round. We have never ONCE had a complaint. Our children are quiet and courteous. It's NOT impossible to have your children behave in a hotel room! Having children is NO EXCUSE to make as much noise as possible! Daily basketball practice in a hotel room? Are you kidding me?!
My company also put my coworkers in the same hotel. Our reservations were for the same days. But there was no room available for them. I had to wait an hour for my room to be cleaned before we could move in, but at least I got a room. My coworkers had to sleep in their trucks in the parking lot until their rooms were available late the next day.
Then, my coworkers tell me about life up there on the third floor. I thought they'd have it better than me on the first floor. But, no. This place welcomes pets. My coworkers *try* to sleep while their neighbors above them play fetch with their dog. They hear the dog running back and forth all day long, with someone throwing things, and yelling, working the dog into a barking frenzy.
My final complaint is that the room stunk to high heaven. I thought that the stench would go away after a few days of spraying febreze. I even bought one of those automatic air fresheners that spray every 9 minutes. But two weeks later, and the stench remains. It must be in the carpet. That's what happens when you allow pets. One tenant will have a dog that pees and poops daily on the carpet, then when they leave, they'll vacuum and call it "ready" for the next guests.
I stayed at the Value Place in Akron a few months ago. It was heaven compared to this hell-hole. The management here could certainly learn a thing or two from their Akron counterparts. The Akron Value Place would have evicted the majority of the trash staying here long ago!
Then again, I can't picture those classy staff people at the Akron location arguing over who gets to keep the ipod left behind in a room by a guest, a conversation I just overheard today between the staff here. Ugh! Can't wait to leave!
P.S. the Akron staff read their reviews on trip advisor, and leave feedback. They learn from their shortcomings, and strive to keep their location the highest quality. I doubt the staff here care what is said in the reviews. Or maybe they like the hobos living here long-term. It certainly seems that hobos were hired as live-in managers here, so that other hobos would feel more welcome.

Room Tip: If you're trying to choose a good room, try another hotel or just sleep in your car!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
COLUMBUS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

its dirty and theres a bunch of welfare moms with tons of kids to keep you up all night not to mention your car will get broken in to mine did so dont stay unless you want to be up all night by screaming crying kids beating on the floor and people partying all night long doing drugs throwing bottles onto cars.

Room Tip: no room good
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

By FAR the WORST Hotel experience EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let see, I went to check in and found my reservation had been cancelled. The clerk was able to find me a room on the 4 th floor which I appreciated until..................
the family across from my room had a dog and at least 3 children under 10 and they loved to scream and run up and down the halls. I called the after hours number and when I said I was in room 400 the clerk said she was talking to my neighbor. A few minutes latter my neighbor knocked on my door and defended her children's right to make noise. Lets just say you can take the girl out-of-the-hood but you can't take the hood out-of-the-girl.

That was my welcome night, Friday. On Saturday I asked to find another room to use. I was told that Monday would be the earliest available room and to check back after 3 PM. Unfortunately, I was working and didn't have the time to contact the front desk. So I stayed away as much as possible from the hotel because of other incidents like............

Tuesday night, around 4 am the neighbor beside me decided to have a fight with her husband. I seriously thought a gun fight would break out. That lasted till around 5 AM.

Wednesday night, also around 4 AM the place was ablaze with flashing lights. Cop cars, a couple of ambulances and a fire truck. Turns out a young women died and the police were here till 8 AM investigating. They also broke up a fight.

Thursday night, as I'm writing this e-mail my neighbor(with the kids) have been screaming inside their closed door room since 3 PM. No one has knocked on her door and asked that she control the noise.

I will say that the staff is friendly and accommodating.

I will also say, I will never stay at any kind of extended stay hotel. Yours especially or any of your competitors.
Spending $250.00 a week for a hotel and living in the hood is disgusting.

Trust me, I will let all my friends and co-worker know about this experience.

JUST AWFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you VALUE your LIFE, DO NOT even consider staying here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Frankfort, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

Bed bugs found at this hotel. Was told after staying there for 4 plus months and changing rooms on and off due to traveling home, that the bed bus were brought in by me. Anything can happen, and did a full check and have exterminator come to my home to find out that there was no issue on my part.

One or two weeks before issue, walked in on customer complaining about bed bugs and wanting refund. Asked personnel about this and was told person just wanted money back.
When informed the personnel about the issue, they confirmed that they were indeed, bed bugs.....night shift manager was very helpful and helped to check to see if I was bitten by any.
I asked him how to tell if you have a bed bug bite, and he proceeded to roll up sleves on both arms and showed me.....holy monkey....he was ate up with bites....great guy...but still covered in bites.....and he lived on site.

All in all, totaly sucked. Was told it was a issue with me and lied to, and told that there was not a issue. Denie all you want but two different customers and 2 to 3 different rooms that has bed bugs and a night shift manager that ate up....you figure it out....stay away from this location.....

Room Tip: Go somewhere else....cheap price is not worth taking bugs back home with you.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Evansville, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

First of all, I've stayed in this hotel 2 times. The first time was the week of June 4th - June 11, 2010. It was quiet, but we were on the 4th floor that time. I was disappointed in the fact that they only clean the room every TWO weeks. It wasn't so bad, even though while staying here I'm still not sure but what happen but me & my fiance were awaken by the sounds of fire truck alarms. We walked downstairs but there were no workers to let us know what happen, nor did they tell us the next day or put signs up. There was just a broken window next to the main entry & that is all. I'll say this happen at about 4am.

The second time is right now. I literally typing this while I sit on the bed of this room & I am totally grossed out. First of all, they hired some new people since the previous time I was here. They were rude, ghetto, and one of the guys that was suppose to be doing the nighttime security was outside talking/smoking with the other guests as if he was just another guest. He had an attitude when asked questions & did not come off as professional. Secondly, there were a ton of children outside screaming/playing for about 2 hrs in the the late afternoon. The paper that you receive after checking in specifically says no loitering on the property yet no one told these people to stop/go indoors. Thirdly the day we were to receive our cleaning, the housekeeper came quite early, we asked her to return, (which she offered not I) and she NEVER came back. Also, I have seen numerous bugs all over the building. In the lobby. In the hallway next to the elevator, next to the elevator, and IN MY ROOM. There were ants everywhere. Also some type of beetle type bug that was in the bathroom & crawling on the wall next o the bed. I am totally grossed out. Also! They obviously just let anyone stay here. This is NOT a nice place if you are looking for peace & quiet. The people are loud, yell through the hallways & I also hear my neighbors slamming things all through the day.

I will NEVER stay in this hotel again. I can't even believe inspectors let this place stay open. Everything about it is ghetto & unorganized. This place needs to get new employees/management because these people are running it into the ground. DO NOT STAY HERE. I'd rather go to the In Town Suites despite the fact that their review says they have bed bugs. It's that bad. Hopefully this helps people before they decide to book this place.

*Edit! The fire truck thing happen again. I'm not sure what's going on here, but when I called the "emergency number" the guy told me "Oh, everything's fine." Then mumbled something, so I hung up. Like I said before, unprofessional workers!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Value Place Columbus Hamilton? Share your experiences!