“One of my favourite places” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Derbyshire
“One of my favourite places”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I have always enjoyed every aspect of wood street. The service & food are great, the atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. Look forward to my next visit.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sutton in Ashfield, United Kingdom
“"The customer is always right" and this was the case.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Have eaten hear about 6 times, but this is the first under their new chef.

Had a table for two booked at 6:30pm which qualified for 15% off food, pre 7:00pm booking.

The complimentary bread was excellent and our starters OK.

However, my steak and chips very salty. Rock salt on my chips is fine. But the mushroom on top of my steak and the steak not covered by the mushroom, very, very salty. So much so you could see the grains of rock salt. I did complain, but had firstly eaten the steak under the mushroom the was fine. However, could not eat the rest.

The waiter apologised and in fairness asked if I wanted another one, but by now my wife was finishing her meal, so I declined. He said he told the chef and also, said he would inform the lady in charge. He came back and said something, but no certain as he was very softly spoken.

We had sweets and coffee - both good.

Bill arrived and they had allowed one free sweet (£5.00), but had omitted to deduct the 15% pre 7:00 pm booking!!!

Pointed this out to the "front of house" lady and another apology.

Also, spoke to her about my meal, as I was suprised that in view of her capacilty she did personally, not take the trouble to come to our table about my complaint, rather than leave it to a young waiter. She said did not do so as she understood I was happy to accept a free sweet.

She then informed me that she was aware how the kitchen operates and only salts the chips, away from the rest of the food - clearly she did not accept what I was telling her.

This is a service industry and she must understand "the customer is always right" and this was the case.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“bit of a disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

After many visits to No4 we felt a bit let down, had to wait longer than usual and food not up to usual standard.

Visited March 2012
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Perfect in every way!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We've eaten some beautiful food in restaurants in different locations and can't believe we have missed this one right on our doorstep.
The food - delicious, presented beautifully, gourmet but plentiful. I was full but didn't want to leave any it was that nice. We also had great nibbles whilst waiting for starters like home made bread and pea soup in a small glass with a froth.
The service - excellent, attentive, knowledgable, helpful
It was a night out to celebrate my birthday and they made me two little cakes on plate decorated with happy birthday written in chocolate. A lovely touch
The wine - great selection especially like the added touch of choice dessert wine or port. Finished my pud off nicely
The prices - very reasonable and comparative to other nice restaurants in the area

All in all absolutely GREAT!
DEFINATELY recommend. We said its the best meal we've EVER had!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lincolnshire, uk
“Scrumptious food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have dined here twice in the past two weeks and on both occasions I have been nothing short of totally impressed. The meals I had were very different. On the first visit I had the goats cheese starter and surf & turf for mains. Before the starter we were served an amuse bouche which in itself was a work of art! Not to mention delicious. And it did exactly what its name suggests, amused my mouth until the starter came! :) When the starter arrived, I didn't want to eat it because It was so perfectly presented I didn't want to spoil it! A few seconds later I couldn't help myself and dived in to find the balance of flavours and the amount of goats cheese complimented each other perfectly. The surf & turf was pressed loin of rabbit wrapped in parma ham with langoustine, garlic mash and butternut squash puree. Again the presentation was excellent, and despite being a different take on traditional surf & turf, did not fail to disappoint. The attention to detail, textures and taste were fabulous. I only wished I could have had room to eat it again! . . . . On my most recent visit I just ate a main course; it was burger and chips but not like any you've ever seen before! The manageress told me the burgers were made in house using top quality produce to try and introduce a classic old favourite with a twist. The burger was cooked to perfection, served pink and as a result very very succulent and tasty. It was served with a few very thick cut and symmetrical chips with a garlic mayo dip. The portion sizes in both visits were just right as well as delivered through exemplary service from all of the waiting staff. I would recommend anyone wanting to experience food that is obviously well thought out and not only cooked with passion and flair, but served in an expert, polite and diligent manner to go to 4 Wood Street. You will not be disappointed. In fact I have now booked a party for my Mums 70th birthday, it was that good! :)

Visited November 2012