“change of name & more expensive” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Kelham House Country Manor Hotel

You added Kelham House Country Manor Hotel to your Saves list
Kelham House Country Manor Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Street, Kelham, Newark-on-Trent NG23 5QP, England (Formerly Red House Country Manor)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kelham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Gatwick, United Kingdom
“change of name & more expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

booked a long weekend stay way back in 2010...they then wait until 2 weeks before the gun show in Newark to tell me the building is being re furbished and the main house would not be ready for another couple of months.. I could stay in the stable block but there would be no facilities, or food available.. and also it would be at the new rates which are obviously more expensive.. I declined and have been told a refund has been made to my card.. Wouldn't matter if this got a good or bad review as they are changing the hotel name anyway..I don't care what they call themselves I will never stay here on principle...customer service?? why wait till all other accommodation is full before you tell me or was that the plan all along..

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
JPKelham, Owner at Kelham House Country Manor Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Dear Les666,

Firstly let me apologise. We are going through a major refurbishment which we had to delay from last year, but you should have been contacted immediately and informed about what was happening with the facilities of the Coach House which is operating as a B&B. Under no circumstances should you have been told you'd be charged more than your originally agreed rate and I will fully investigate this to ensure it never happens again. Under no circumstances did we knowingly try and wait for everywhere else to be booked up before telling you, I can 100% guarantee the lack of communication was an oversight and nothing so sinister. We have changed the name of the hotel (or rather reverted back to the original name) already, I've been speaking to Tripadvisor today to tell me how to update it on here!
Again, apologies for your experience and I hope that at some point in the future you'll consider using us once we're fully operational again and we can attempt to show you that we do care about our customers, and are an honest and reliable hotel.

Best Regards

Jon-Paul Davies
Director
Kelham House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

This is a lovely old country manor house, which has been temporarily 'tarted up' as the new owners are waiting to refurbish it (in January 2011 I gather). Clearly this isn't ideal for them or the guests, but they are at least trying to make it work.

Meanwhile, the hotel looks tired, with very 70's textured wallpaper and poor partitioned bathrooms. The plumbing in the bathroom was so awful that the noise when you flushed the loo would have woken the dead! When we arrived our room was freezing cold with no heating on - pretty poor at the end of October. The lady we spoke to explained that they can't heat one room, and have to heat the whole hotel, which must be costly for them, but having guests arrive in a cold room just isn't on. So we had to wait for ages for the room to heat up before we could have baths / showers and get ready to go out, making us late.

The room had been decorated and was not bad looking, and the views were stunning. Calling it 'the Bridal Suite' while it still has the 70's paper and partition bathroom is a bit misleading though. The bed was a double, rather than a king, and was lumpy and uncomfortable. Had I been a bride I'd have been very disappointed with the room!

The breakfast was just 'OK' - not good, though the service was pleasant and friendly. In all, it was OK value but I'd give it a miss until after the refurb and see whether it improves then.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Beth-and -Will

Thanks for your feedback, we're now well on the way to finishing the refurb and as with other comments left on here we hope to address all areas of concern. The beds, central heating, decor and noisy loos have all been updated and replaced to give our guests a great experience and value for money, and I hope if you are ever in the area again you will consider staying with us for a before and after feedback review?

Best Regards

Jon-Paul Davies
Kelham House

ps. Sorry but the bathrooms are still partitioned, we'd have to rebuild the whole hotel to change that!
lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

We stayed here for our wedding (wedding at kelham hall)
The room was lovely, big comfy bed- large clean bathroom. Many of our other guests stayed here and also thought it was lovely. Breakfast was beautiful! With plently of choice. The staff had thoughtfully put a number of tables together so all the wedding guests could have breakfast together. We hope to go back and sample the sunday lunch.
Highly reccommended!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

This hotel is under new management and the service couldn't have been better. I travel a great deal, and this is, sadly, something I rarely experience. In top hotels you get a fleet of staff, but rarely the kind of genuinely warm, personal and friendly consideration you'll find here.

For example, they knew we were planning to check in late, and rang to tell me what time dinner finishes. Then when we arrived even later than planned (around 11pm) they stayed up and kept the facilities open just for us, chatted to us and gave us a really warm welcome. The general manager even carried my suitcase upstairs for me. It made all the difference after a tedious journey.

The bar area was full of comfy squashy couches, and they served us wine in huge glasses.

The large bedroom was an oasis of tranquility, clean and lovely, with kettle, tea and coffee, free wi-fi. I think there was a large TV somewhere, though we didn't watch it. Great blinds, curtains blocked out all the light for peaceful sleeping in the morning. Totally quiet, lovely view over the garden. The very small bathroom had just enough room for a power shower and toilet (no bath) and you could only have one person at a time in there - but that may not be the case for all the rooms - and the tiny bathroom is the only reason I've given this room rating four, rather than five stars. In any case, we didn't necessarily want a larger bathroom, this was perfectly fine.

Parking was easy.

At £75 this was excellent value for money, I just wish we'd had more time to eat there, stay a bit longer and enjoy the gardens. The manager said they would be undertaking renovations from October 2010, so that might affect things a bit.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Kelham House Country Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!