“Lovely hotel with great potential” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kelham House Country Manor Hotel

You added Kelham House Country Manor Hotel to your Saves list
Kelham House Country Manor Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Street, Kelham, Newark-on-Trent NG23 5QP, England (Formerly Red House Country Manor)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kelham
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel with great potential”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night on the 12/2/2012 with my husband and son while attending a funeral the following day.
We had a lovely room (Bridal suite no less!) which we thought was lovely...bright,fresh and very nice colour scheme.
The only criticism was the extraordinarily hard mattress (apart from a hospital bed, this is the hardest mattress I have ever slept on)
We had dinner in the Restaurant in the evening which was very good....big portions and I struggled to finish mine!
I think this hotel has great potential,but feel it has a little way to go yet.
There seemed to be a shortage of staff on the Monday morning( the hotel was not busy!) with one lady who seemed to be doing all the jobs on her own(Receptionist, Waitress etc).
I will mention one member of Staff who was there on the Saturday as we arrived whose name is Louise (can,t remember her surname...sorry).
She was very professional in her approach and a very nice lady, a credit to the hotel.
I would recommend this hotel.
When the extension is finished I think it will be a very nice place to stay!

Room Tip: The Bridal suite was lovely. A large room with great views and a very nice bathroom! Loved the col...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
JPKelham, Owner at Kelham House Country Manor Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear Bronda1

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on the hotel, it really is invaluable feedback to us and we're glad that you had such a nice time with us.

Louise is indeed an great asset to the hotel and it's always great to hear about particular members of the team sticking in peoples minds, it is all about hospitality after all!

Sorry the bed was too hard for you, when we spoke to Hypnos about the best mattresses and tested them out it gave us the best middle ground we could find, the difficult thing is most people tell us they're the nicest they've slept in so I'm afraid it's down to personal preference.

We are a new business, and as such are constantly developing the business to ensure our guests receive a fantastic service and are 100% happy with all elements of their stay or visit to us, and we'll make sure we take your comments to help us improve more.

All the best

The Kelham House Team

ps. The extension is now complete and looking and working brilliantly!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012 via mobile

Due to business requirements I have been staying here since September last year; 2 to 3 nights per week. The hotel is fantastic. The staff are professional and welcoming, the rooms are excellent and very comfortable, the food in both bar and the restaurant "The Kitchen Garden" are really good. Unfortunately my time in Newark area is coming to an end, but I would definitely come back and stay on a personal nature. I would like to thank all the staff at the hotel, for making my time away from home comfortable and welcoming... Chris W

• Stayed January 2012
Dear Chris

Sorry its taken so long to acknowledge this lovely review, we've been really busy putting the finishing touches to the extension, which is now (thankfully) completed and up and running very successfully!

We all hope you have settled into your new job and wish you all the very best for the future,

We look forward to maybe seeing you in the future.

All at Kelham House.
Lancs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011 via mobile

Stayed for one night on D,B&B rate. Stayed in room 3 which was very spacious, bed very comfortable. Dinner was wonderful, well cooked, nicely presented and polite service. Breakfast has to be one of the best I have ever had in a hotel (smoked haddock with poached egg). Would certainly recommend for a stay or even just for dinner.

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Dlr65

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review of the hotel, room 3 really is a gem of ours and we're very happy you enjoyed your stay. Our breakfast is something we're particularly proud of, it is after all one of the last things that guests do with us so it's great that it was so well received.

We hope to see you in the future,

Charlotte and Jon-Paul Davies and the Kelham House Team
Newark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

My wife and I visited the Kelham House Country Manor Hotel for the first time via Groupon on the Thursday 10th November 11. We were made to feel very welcome on entering and after my wife had been asked for her coat we were taken to a warm and comforting bar for pre-dinner drinks and at the same time given a menu to order our food. After ordering we did not have to wait long before taken in to one of the dining rooms which even though was very clean but too clinical and lacked character for that overall ambience of dining. The food was well cooked and presented, but a little more imagination could be used on the selection of vegetables offered ( carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and new potatoes) and In my opinion the menu could be a little more detailed to the lamb as we did not realise it was served on the bone as a lamb shank and on special evenings when one dresses for the occasion I feel it is not the right choice of dish( I suggest the waiter can just explain to the customer that the lamb is on the bone and check they are happy with their choice). Desserts were lovely and it was nice to finish up in the bar for a very nice cup of coffee. Overall a very nice evening and would consider returning again and with a little bit of fine tuning the Kelham House Country Manor Hotel could be an excellent place to stay and dine.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear NewarkDelBoy

Firstly thank you for taking the time to leave a review for your Groupon dinner with us. It was a great way for us to get the word out on our little corner of the world. Sorry it's taken so long to respond but we've been very busy finishing our new function and banqueting suite. We're so glad that your feedback is on the whole positive, our chef and his team work very hard to produce great food, and your feedback has gone to the team to ensure that any development points are taken into account. Certainly an explanation of the meat would have we're sure helped you on this occasion.

We are putting some finishing touches to the decor of the restaurant and we have also introduced flowers to the tables to add a little something, small touches that we hope will make all the difference.

We hope you visit us in the future and look forward to hearing more valuable reviews.

Fondest Regards

Charlotte and Jon-Paul Davies and the Kelham House Team.
Lancing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We chose this hotel for a relaxing weekend away, as we wanted to visit Lincoln Cathedral and Castle and it was ideally situated. First impressions were very good, with an entrance hall reflecting the original style of the house and a warm welcome. Our bedroom was beautifully furnished, with excellent views from the three windows. It was nice to have a two-seater sofa in the room, as most hotels we've stayed in only have one comfortable chair, which means that one of us has to sit on the bed to watch the television. We liked the choice of modern bathroom fittings, which were spotless. However, I could not get to grips with the sliding shower screen and managed to flood the floor!! That said, there was plenty of hot water, as I always spend ages in the shower.

We were a little disappointed with the dining room, as it does not have much character - I don't know whether it isn't finished yet. Some paintings or prints on the walls would make a difference - something in keeping with the age of the property. This also applies in the bar area, where some soft drapes at the windows would make it more cosy. We did feel that the menu was rather limited, especially as we were staying for three nights and there was no change in this time. Perhaps having a different chef's special every night, running alongside the main menu, would give more choice. Having said that, we were happy with the food and service, and we were able to have a different choice in the bar, where the food was of the same high standard as in the main restaurant. My Lincolnshire sausages and mash were yummy.

Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay at Kelham House and would certainly go back again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
JPKelham, Owner at Kelham House Country Manor Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear Janice

Firstly thank you for your review, it's always so valuable for us to see a direct response to their experience so that we can, wherever possible celebrate the good and work on any areas of development.

It's great to hear you enjoyed room 3, it really is a fantastic room and one that our guests repeatedly tell us they'd like to lift out and take home!

The comments around the dining rooms is one we'll discuss as a management team, and balance with other feedback from customers as its something that is always going to be subjective and with all the best will in then world I don't think we'll ever create something that pleases everyone!

Your comments on the food are fair, we do at the moment change the a la carte menu weekly but our aim is to have a fixed a la carte with all our favourite dishes but complement them with specials that change daily, so I'm summary we completely agree.

Again thanks for your review and we are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope if you visit the area again we'll be at the top of your list.

Best Regards

Jon-Paul & Charlotte Davies and all at Kelham House Hotel.
Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

We booked a table for 2 with a groupon coupon. We had stopped at the hotel for a coffee a few years ago and were pleased to find that the hotel has been up graded to a high standard the bar area and dining rooms are very nice. As for the food and service we could not fault it, in fact it was one of the best meals we have had in a long time.
I am sure we will return in the future.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Michael

Thanks so much for your positive review about our restaurant, the groupon promotion has been a resounding success and it's been well worthwhile to see so many people visiting us for the first time, enjoying the food and experience and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Jon-Paul & Charlotte Davies and all the team at Kelham House
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Booked a table for 4 via Groupon. OK I know it's Groupon but to me it is a great chance for a company to show its best and get you back in the door...

First impressions were great. A large roomy entrance hall, modern and really giving a good impression. Into the bar area for pre-dinner drinks; again a good impression although the bar prices were on the top end but no problem.

We seemed to be ages in the bar and then went to our dining room. The dining rooms were on the left or right - it made me wonder if Groupon were allocated a room away from 'regular' guests? Anyway we went into the dining room and I was so disappointed, it was like going into an old folks' home compared to what we had seen earlier. It was like they had not yet finished the refurb, perhaps they haven't.

Food: the pate was lovely but the French onion soup was not good; very salty and so dark like a soya sauce! We paid extra for the steak which was great. Homemade chips were ok but the oil used left a very strong distinct taste on them. I am not so sure either about the gravy in the small cup - it was a pretty heavy consistency, very 'glupy' and not so good. Desert was good.

Am I being too critical? No I don't think so. There is so much potential here but it just hasn't got to its best. Would I try again? May be. I was left feeling disappointed and there are lots of other good places out there so they really have to get this right.

Just for info we paid £35 for drinks (4 lager shandies, 3 wines & 1 coffee & £6 steak) so added to the Groupon it was just under £90 for dinner but we were left disappointed...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear ClonPete

Firstly thank you for taking the time to feedback to us on your experience with the groupon deal at the Kitchen Garden.

On the positives you've written about thank you, it's great to have balanced responses that we can take back to the team, discuss and make the necessary changes where applicable.

On the dining rooms the hotel has always been set up in this way and we actually aim to do the exact opposite of your view, our aim with Groupon was to 'top up' the restaurant tables along side our residents and other diners, everyone is equal in our eyes!

I will spend some time with the kitchen team reviewing the feedback on the food and make sure where we can improve, we will.

The refurbishment is indeed complete, and we know how subjective such a big change is and really enjoy hearing peoples views (I spent 10 minutes last night discussing it with a diner last night!). We always review this, and will make the right decisions on evolving the look and feel of the decor as time goes on with customer feedback high on our list of considerations.

I'm glad despite the development you felt needed to happen you would still consider us in the future, we will always strive to continually improve and remain committed to always delivering a great product at an appropriate price, so we look forward to seeing you in the future and hearing your views.

Best Regards

Jon-Paul & Charlotte Davies and all at Kelham House Hotel.

Been to Kelham House Country Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!