“Road Trip Stopover” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 Edwinstowe B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Road Trip Stopover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were travelling to Leeds from Bath and found this pub with lots of cars parked. So this must be a good place to try some of the local dishes. And it was true. There were families with young children as well as older children enjoying sharing their meals, eating from the same plate even, I even saw grandparents celebrating their granddaughter's birthday, I think, What a good bonding activity. So we ordered the usual fish and chips, my husband's favourite . cheesy omelette etc. They were all good and we actually finished our meal although the servings were large. If you are around this area, stop by and see what I mean!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the Dukeries Lodge last weekend to attend a family wedding nearby. I honestly could not fault it and cannot understand the negative reviews at all! We stayed in room 15 which overlooks the rear carpark, it has it's own little balcony which leads down to a rear fire escape. The rooms were comfortable and cosy, the heated towel rail in the bathroom was on constantly keep the temperature at a warm level. The bathroom looked as if it had been newly refurbished and was spacious and modern. The hotel is full of character and has an amazing staircase with stained glass windows, the dining room was spacious and clean - I personally LOVED the leopard print carpet!
The staff were welcoming and very helpful, we requested directions to the church and were given a printed map and vebal directions as well. The breakfast was lovely, plenty of it and freshly cooked. All I can say is, I have stayed in many hotels all around the world over the years and this hotel was excellent value for money and I would have no hestitation in returning again or recommending to others, in my humble opinion, you get what you pay for and a lot more...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

I have eaten at the Dukeries many times and never been disappointed
Great menu with different offers each night
The atmosphere is buzzing and new decor very vibrant ( thanks to my hubby Andy & Tim!. :0) )
I would always reccomend it to friends and hope they keep up the great service

• Stayed August 2012
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I'm writing this review in my room - I've travelled down from Preston and I'm staying here for the weekend to attend my niece's wedding nearby. I found the Dukeries Lodge quite by accident, by looking at Edwinstowe on Google maps, zooming in to see if I could spot and hotels or B&Bs in the area! I saw their link, clicked on it, found they had a vacancy and booked it there and then online. Dead simple!

I too have seen negative comments on here but can't think why! The staff are friendly and helpful, and nothing is too much trouble for them. The lodge itself is a beautiful old building and yes, there IS leopard print carpet but it fits in perfectly with the decor!

My sister, brother in law, niece and I had a bar meal yesterday and it was lovely. My room is immaculate and the bed is so comfy. I can't fault the place at all and the breakfast I had this morning was a Little Chef Olympic Breakfast equivalent - all for £39.50 a night! You can't go wrong :)

I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I was in room 3, which faced the rear of the lodge. Although it's on the main road through Edwi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Since the change of management and extensive revamp of this place we thought we would give it another chance as we had previously had some disappointments.
Having a meal on different days of the week at different times of the day and ordering from different parts of the menu has left us in no doubt that there has been immense improvement both in the ambience and in the cooking and presentation of the meals. We have consistently had well presented food that has been cooked superbly.
Staff were friendly and attentive without being intrusive and it didn't matter if we had popped in for a meal of convenience or dressed for dinner out, we have not so far been disappointed with our visit.
Well done to all the staff.
Haven't stayed the night but do have a friend who stayed both before and since the revamp and they were very impressed with the improvemnts in both accommadation and service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Edwinstowe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I live in the village, friends come to see us and stay at the lodge, we eat there with them, and also return for more, I have noticed one or two negative comments, and quite frankly wonder what planet they are from, some people would sour wine by their presence - I cannot imagine finding better value, or a more friendly team, it isn't the Ritz and doesn't pretend to be, but it is good at what it does, good value food and a decent pint in friendly surroundings, with a room available if needed

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

The leopard print carpet should have been regarded as a warning sign for the kind of establishment we were in, but 3 hungry diners were bored of driving around this small area looking for somewhere to eat, so we went in. The menu was underwhelming, traditional frozen favourites such as chips, breaded mushrooms and other greasy dishes. As vegetarian me and my mum struggled to fins something nice to eat, but as we both eat fish too, we opted for that. I went for the special a Texan spiced tuna steak salad, sounds nice doesn't it? I'm not really sure why i expected more than a dry piece of tuna (asked to be cooked medium rare) sitting on a bed of lettuce, cucumber and tomato, but that's what I got. Sitting opposite me my sister had a perfectly cooked medium rare steak, that made my incinerated tuna even harder to swallow.

The staff were equally as dull as the food, all young and bored and with no manners what-so-ever. Ok, yes I'm from Cambridge where we are spoilt for choice regarding places to eat out, but this felt like stopping at a little chef! When I ordered I asked for the tuna salad and pointed at the specials board. I asked if the waitress could ensure the tuna was cooked medium rare, she looked at me strangely and then agreed. I checked my reciept on the way back from the bar and realised she had ordered me the tuna mayo salad, not sure how you can cook tuna mayo medium rare?? I'll have to try it sometime! Anyway, I went back and told her I had meant the tuna steak salad and that's why I had requested how it was cooked. She told me that the tuna steak wasn't a salad, so I read her the specials board "Oh" she replied and typed on the till then requested an extra £3 from me...

The food was certainly cheap and very fast, so i'm sure for some it fits the bill, but just be warned that the outside architecture of the building and standard of food and bar service inside don't quite match. I would certainly not recommend this as a place for food lovers, but it satisfied our hunger and I live to moan another day so I guess it's not all bad??

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Dukeries Lodge? Share your experiences!