“A disgrace to Indian cooking” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
London
“A disgrace to Indian cooking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I should start by saying I love Indian cuisine. I've eaten out in lots of Indian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Sri Lankan restaurants, good and bad. And I can cook my own curries to a reasonable standard. However, this restaurant is quite disgraceful based on the meal I had there.

The cooking is so poor, I would have preferred a Morrison's chicken tikka massala, while the service was the perfect accompaniment to a revolting meal.

The prawn puri was drowning in a particularly stomach-churning flavour. It tasted like an acrid toxic chemical had accidentally dripped into the dish. I mentioned this to a waiter and he mumbled something under his breath without making eye contact as he took it away.

I ate none of one dish and little of the other; the staff were too keen to rake in the cash to ask why. More the fool me. I should have sent the rubbish they served me straight back to the kitchen.

They also made a mistake, overcharging me. I pointed this out and the waiter attempted to 'explain' the mistake was not actually a mistake in the most laughable way. He pointed at two items and said, "this is the price of THIS DISH."

Again I explained - more assertively - that they had overcharged me and asked to see the menu. Then he apologised and adjusted the bill accordingly.

Amusingly when I left I saw out of the corner of my eye a member of staff dash over to inspect the money I'd left, presumably to make sure I'd left the right amount; I certainly did - not a penny over the amount required to settle up!

This restaurant is disgraceful and has no redeeming features, so far as I could tell.

What is more extraordinary is that they get good reviews on tripadvisor - why?

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Disappointed - try elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Staff and service was good, but the menu was predictable and so was the food.... sorry folks, this one needs a full make-over.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Always a pleasure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have lived in Morpeth all my life and have visited this restaurant on several occasions.
Every single time I go, it is marvellous! Cannot fault it in any way.
The staff are so nice and friendly, the food is served to a very, very high standard and it is great value for money!
I went with my partner for our anniversary and got a bottle of wine, free of charge! Love love love this place.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
sheffield
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Good food on a Sunday night. Good service, pleasant staff. It's not easy to get food in Morpeth on a Sunday so finding a warm, welcoming curry house was great!

Visited February 2013
cumbria
“Nice modern Indian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Went with the family and all had a very enjoyable meal. Not as spicy as other indians so might suggest you wnet up a spice- if that make sense!

Did childrens portions also, with lollies at end.

• Visited February 2013