“Another NT great day out” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Morpeth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“Another NT great day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Our first visit to Wallington house and gardens. A very enjoyable and interesting experience it proved to be and would certainly warrant a second visit next time we are in the area. The house is impressive with a superb interior especially the amazing central hall that is decorated like an Italian courtyard. The NT collection of dolls houses and Cabinets of Curiosities collected by Lady Wilson are other features. Good as the house is, the gardens are even better. Delightful woodland walks around the lakes ending up in the wonderful walled gardens full of beautiful flowers made it a special day.

Manchester
31 attraction reviews
“Great day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

As National Trust members we have been here before and we enjoyed our day just as much as the last time. Took the river walk this time which went all around the outskirts of the estate. Ended up with stepping stones over the river and back into the walled garden. Fantastic and easy walk. In the woodland area is a bird watching hut where you can sit and see all the birds that come and feed. Great fun. Good food also in the clocktower cafe, great scones!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Lovely place to wander”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We visited Wallington on Sunday for the second time. The weather was very disappointing but Wallington certainly wasn't. It was quite quiet and we just had a slow relaxing potter around the place all day.
There's plenty to see and this time of year is lovely. Beautiful gardens, plenty of wildlife, ponds, views and more.
We didn't go into the house but will definitely go again to see this.
We stopped at the potting shed cafe for a drink and prices were reasonable.
Greenhouse was a highlight for us. There was a flower we'd seen in Cyprus and we were looking to have it identified. A really helpful guy gave us an email address to send a photo in and they'll help.
Overall a lovely place to spend the day. Family and dog friendly too.

Durham, Uk
37 attraction reviews
“Prefer the gardens to the house”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I haven't been to Wallington since I was about 8 - I am 27 now and my and my boyfriend just invested in a joint membership to National Trust places and this was our first visit. We went with my parents on bank holiday, the weather was lovely.
We looked around the house, which was ok. My attention span isn't great but I did love the room with the dolls houses and the stuffed animals and other off artefacts. And the bedroom with the weird bath (you will know what I mean when you see it). But none of the other rooms really interested me. We had tea and cake the "Trevelyan Way" which was so nice. The fine china was so cute and the cake was really good (I had ginger cake with my mum, the guys had scones). It was really nice (not sure if it was good value at £5.95 per person, but we loved it anyway).
The gardens were the best part. We had a good weather day which helped, but even if it had been miserable, it would have been lovely. The walled garden is stunning.
There was a lot going on outside the house on the day we went - for kids - climbing wall, carving wooden things which if we had kids would have been nice for them. We didn't but other children were enjoying it. They also had 2 Alpacas that you could stroke and touch. They are lovely.
Overall and really lovely day, and we will be back to go on s,e of the longer walks.

North East England
5 attraction reviews
“Lovely any time of the year.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Wallington is one of Northumberland's great treasures. We have spent many hours there with our many grand-children and now great- grandchildren. As usual at national Trust properties there is always something going on either for us or the children to get involved in. We love the walled garden and the walks and the children love the Adventure Playground, even in winter. There is a very nice cafe and the usual shop selling NT goods and plants.Walks are easy and mainly on the flat. I'm sure we will be there again soon.

Visited October 2012