“Golf Weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Longhorsley
Edinburgh
“Golf Weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

after reading previous reviews which critisised service and food, I went aprehensively, with a group of friends for a golf package stay. From the moment we arrived until we departed the service was excellent and staff were very helpful and accommodating. We arrived couple hours before normal room check in, but after visiting the Linden Hall pub for a snack and a drink within an hour our rooms were available, enabling us to unpack and head for the golf course. Whilst the course is fairly young in age, it is a good testing and interesting course. Some of the par 3`s are more difficult than they look.(book a golf buggy if you don`t enjoy long walks). Dinner in the evening in the "pub" was really enjoyable and full of flavour, don`t think there was one complaint from the 8 of us and service was excellent. Breakfast in the morning was very varied, fresh fruit / cereal/yoghurt / coldmeats & cheeses / pastries etc and your cooked b/fast was made to order and really good choice. If I have one small critisicim of the room, for those people that like to relax in a bath, they are not built for people 6ft tall.This is a good venue for a quiet relaxing spa & golf weekend for all, also a good base to explore the surrounding attractions. Would reccomend this venue and would return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
GMLinden, General Manager at Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Hi

Thanks for the feedback I am delighted you enjoyed your stay so much especially relating to the golf course our own Linden Tree Pub and of course the service team we hope to see you all again

Kind Regards

Andrew Thresh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Jarrow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I have stayed at linden hall many times and all have been really enjoyable experiences but not as much as the experience I had for my mam and dads ruby wedding, the food was of the highest standard and the staff were so friendly and helpful I really felt as if they became part of my extended family whilst I stayed at linden hall. The member of staff that was in charge of the celebrations and made sure they went smoothly was a complete gentleman and added extra sparkle to the day. I used the spa facilities the next day and took the opportunity to relax in the grounds of the hotel in the glorious sunshine while I was there it was so peaceful and I very much look forward to going back for my graduation in July.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
GMLinden, General Manager at Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Gina

thank you for taking the time to review especially as in addition to your mum it was a pleasure and I know the food and beverage manager was really pleased to read your comments

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed for a weekend in May and I just wanted to say thank you to all the staff at the hotel who made our stay fantastic. The hotel is lovely with an separate bar/restaurant, and the golf was great. Thanks again.

Room Tip: We had a room that looked as if it was newly refurbished which was close to the spa facilities.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Nicola

Always nice to receive great feedback especially from our golfing guests we have worked hard on bothe the golf course and our golfing pacakages over the winter so really pleasing to get such great feedback thank you

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Me and 5 friends went to stay for a Spa and overnight package. The facilities are very small but pleasant. Rooms good. We went for dinner at 8pm. We were still waiting for our starters just after 9pm. The beverage manager told us he had very important guests in his private dining area, suggesting that was why we were still waiting! He also went on to make further rude comments that left myself and friends feeling very patronised to say the least. We did get complimentary appetisers which were delicious as was the rest of the dinner. This would have been a lovely night if not for one rude staff member. All other staff were great. We complained the following day about the member of staff and they did recontact apologising. We would never go back for a spa day after this experience with a very rude arrogant man.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Jacklyn

I am so disappointed that you feel that this incident marred your stay when we spoke over the weekend you could have not been more complimentary all our guests are ViP's receiving the same food and service and I know the chef came to your table to say hello and secure your enjoyment.

The food and Beverage manager is mortified that you feel this way and has asked that I reiterate his apology

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

On arrival at Linden Hall, we were impressed by the entrance drive and the hotel itself is very elegant. Check in was quick and friendly, we had booked through Secret Escapes, and were expecting one of the basic rooms. We had rung beforehand and requested a twin room, but found we had been allocated a double room on the second floor, on entering, my husband cracked his head on the sloping ceiling around the window! We went straight back down to see the Manager, her name was Julia, who had checked us in. She was great, found us another room by the spa, no 3, which was a lovely room, with locked together twin beds, nice and big and very comfortable, with nice bedding. The bathroom was also great, very modern, very clean. The room had everything you need and it was very handy to be so close to the swimming pool. We went there around 6.00 it was very busy. There's a lovely pool and hot tub, didn't use it the steam room. The girls in the spa area are very friendly, as are all the staff.
Our deal included dinner on the first night, in the restaurant. We arrived on time, but were asked to wait in the cocktail bar, not sure why, but didn't mind as we were offered complimentary drinks whilst we waited! Delicious cocktail! The meal was first class. Couldn't fault the food or the service.
The following night, we ate in the Linden Tree Pub, couldn't have been a bigger contrast. The service was poor, couldn't catch anyone's eye to tell them my fish batter was soggy! The first chance I had was when they came to collect plates, I was offered a desert, which was apple crumble. The crumble was also soggy, I couldn't believe it. The Manager, Dora, dealt with our complaint when we went to pay the bill. Wish we had spoken to her first. Maybe I was just unlucky, but have had much better bar food. This was our only complaint from the whole weekend and was dealt with satisfactorily, so all's well that ends well.
Would definitely return to this hotel. Hope next time we have some sun, so that we can enjoy the gorgeous grounds.
Many thanks to Julia, she works so hard, seems to be there all the time and will go the second mile for you!

Room Tip: We loved the room near the spa.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear David and Jane,

Thank you so much for your score very generous .Re the Pub a new menu went live yesterday and feedback last night was fantastic thank you once again for taking the time to review us

Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Just returned home today from a two night stay at Linden Hall. It is in a beautiful location. I agree with others, that the rooms are tired and in need of updating, however the room we were allocated was very comfortable and clean, albeit it tired looking, which is not unusual in a property this age. The food in the restaurant on our first evening was excellent, beautifully cooked, well presented, and the staff were gracious and helpful. Breakfast was good, on both mornings, and staff cheerful and friendly. Ate at the onsite pub on the second evening and the food was comparable with any other pub grub, not exciting, but edible! Would definitely eat in the restaurant on both evenings should we go again, because price wise there was little difference in the menus. One point I would make is that we had a classic room, with a king-size bed, and it was very comfortable!
Overall we enjoyed our stay, will probably return, and would recommend.

Room Tip: I understand there are some refurbished rooms, I would definitely ask for one if I return, however I...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Jane

Thank you so much for the positive feedback much appreciated

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Spent yesterday 29th May at at wedding reception at Linden Hall.....this place in a The Northumberland countryside near Morpeth is a beautiful setting that takes back to old England and makes you wish the walls talk and give up their secrets. The staff were very attentive and it all goes off without a hitch. Clean, classy very nice I must say. The evening gave way to a Disco once they had cleaned up the room after we ate. The anti room whilst waiting for the room to be cleared was less well organised and we had to sort our own seats, the drinks were expensive so some folk were nipping outside the the linden tree pub for their drinks £3 a pint whils the main venue charged £4.80! This was the guests only complaint I heard mentioned. To some up...pretty good place lovely location but to expensive at the bar...nip in the linden tree! Loads cheaper

Room Tip: Buy your drinks in the linden tree pub no the venue suits
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Hi

I am delighted you enjoyed the wedding and tahnk you for your feedback relating to the fuction bar prices and service both the function room and Pub are priced competitively for the area and yes some items are cheaper in each bar when compared to each other

Andrew Thresh

Been to Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!