“Very nice, could be a bit better though” 4 of 5 stars

Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   on A697, Longhorsley, Morpeth NE65 8XF, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Longhorsley
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice, could be a bit better though”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

After reading reviews of this hotel I was fearing the worst but I had little choice as to where to stay that was central to the whole of Northumberland. I can only conclude that it largely comes down to which room you’re in as to what your impression is. On arrival you cannot fail to be impressed by the grandeur of the hotel and grounds – if Linden Hall were a country house managed by the National Trust you would want to visit it. I had vouchers for breakfast but as the discounted breakfast was still £15.95 I just went out to the excellent shops in nearby villages where you can get twice the food for half the price. I had room service two nights and Caesar salad on occasions; while both were excellent, the recipe and ingredients used were extremely different. I borrowed a cable to connect to the internet in my room which was fine, though the room wasn’t really laid out for business use – the desk being quite small.

On arrival on a Sunday afternoon I had that feeling of being a gatecrasher – lots of older couples enjoying tea and staring at me as if I was some sort of freak for carrying luggage to the lift and asking for an internet cable. The message was clear: this is a place to stay for business Monday-Thursday and a place to stay for a weekend with your spouse Friday-Sunday.

The room itself was hot, there was no air conditioning and the window only partly opened due to the blinds so I rigged up a fan on the windowsill to blow air from outside into the room which made the room nice and cool (it’s fair to say that the cleaning staff were not impressed with my desire for non-sauna like conditions over-riding various health and safety guidelines but needs must).

Quite a few reviews have mentioned poor cleaning and while this was not the case for me, I did report black gunk coming off the shower hose on my first morning and the hose was never replaced, otherwise the room seemed perfectly clean. The bathroom had a self-de-misting mirror, plenty of shelf space and plenty of hot water (too much so, in the evenings even the toilet would flush with hot water and it took an age for cold water to come through – I’ve stayed in plenty of hotels where there is a lack of hot water, never one where there was no cold water in the evenings!).

The iron in the room was clean and there was an ice bucket in the room (no fridge) with a note to say you can order ice from room service. One of my pet hates about UK four-star hotels is the lack of fridges and ice machines and as I was travelling around a lot during the day, I needed a lot of ice for my coolbox. The staff were always happy to help (at least they appeared to be happy!) but the lack of a guest-accessible ice machine must have tested their patience when I asked for a big bag of ice every morning. I heard a few guests say that some of the staff appeared to be flustered, verging on harassed, during busy periods so they may be a bit short-staffed at certain times of the day. If there is one thing that would make this hotel run more smoothly, it would be if they installed a guest-accessible ice machine!

I was lucky to be able to squeeze in a round of golf and the staff were helpful and friendly and the course was perfect. The first three par-3s have to be the three most impossible holes I’ve ever played!

I wasn’t particularly inspired by the hotel and pub menu but I highly recommend an alternative. Drive out the hotel, turn right, go three and a half miles along the road and eat at the Village Inn, Longframlington. The food there was outstanding, though not exactly cheap, and you’ll need one hec of an appetite as the portions are huge. It has to be the best pub food I’ve ever had and you can really tell that they care about the food they serve.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Lovely location, fab golf , accommodation not terribly clean , old sugar cubes left in cupboard in napkin under tv , somebody's hair grips on table !!! Dusty bedside tables, not what I had paid for, food ok ish , not worth what is charged for it , breakfast no info on buffet thro other room , my husband only noticed people with cereal & juice ! Poor

Hartlepool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel is excellent but that is where the excellence stops. Rooms were nice and clean but the service lets it down. Service was slow and staff not that helpful the bar is located away from the main hotel and although it is pleasant it is quite small.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We had a lovely time and the wedding as did everyone else could not fault the wedding venue at all. Drinks are over priced in the hotel. We went for a meal on the Friday night at the LInden Tree Pub there was six of us was not impressed with the food in the pub

Room Tip: Room 223 was a good room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hereford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

After arriving down a long narrow drive the hotel & grounds look very impressive. We booked the hotel months before but were given a box room in the attic. Room very shabby with slopping ceilings over the bed & a small window that would not open fully. Rang room service on four separate occassions with no reply so had to phone reception which then dealt with our request. The staff are all very helpful but they are not enough of them & they are struggling to cope. Nobody seems to use the main restaurant & bar with most guests using the pub next door which we found to be excellent but again under staffed on busy nights. This hotel did not offer value for money & we wont be using again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

My fiancee and I booked up a few days ago for a spa break and also to look round as a potential wedding venue. We booked direct with macdonalds booking centre to then receive a call direct from Linden saying they were fully booked for the dates selected and could we change! Not a big issue really as we were able to do so.

Upon arriving at the hall first impressions were great lovely gardens, picturesque golf course etc.. once you enter the hotel things start to rapidly go downhill!! We were allocated room 113 which after 3 attempts at getting in turned out to be a massive dissapointment! Huge stains all over the carpets, walls were all covered in muck and splash marks and an extremely tired feel to it. I spoke with Julia on reception who did her upmost and re allocated us to room 234 a larger room that was better but still tired and with exposed pipe work under the sink in bathroom where it looked like something was missing. Again splashes on doors and walls and just an unclean feel to it.

The "spa" is like the rest of the hotel dated and in need of a refresh, the jacuzzi was full of muck at the bottom and im glad I had footwear for walking around. We both had massages however which were fab and staff all seemed friendly enough.

I would like to know when the AA last visited here as its a joke to call it 4 star its a 3 star hotel at best and needs to be closed for either a full refurb or drop the prices to represent what your actually getting. We had a wedding appointment booked whilst staying but cancelled due to the poor or none existant maintenance of the whole building putting us off.

The Dobson restaurant is excellent and staff were very helpful and friendly however the drinks prices are extortionate! To sum up we expected an awful lot more of this hotel for £320 for 2 nights and to top it all off I was charged twice for my accommodation upon checking out! They did refund quickly but still annoying!!

newcastle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Booked for a spa break, hotel itself was nice neough, rooms clean and comfy, but the spa really let it down. I had booked treatments several weeks in advance, and when arriving at the spa I was given the wrong treatments (booked a back exfoliation and facial, and recieved a standard back massage, with a facial only lasting 45 minutes of the 1hour 15mins I was charged for) and despite advising the spa staff there was no apology or offer of recification and i was charged the full price for treatments. Very disappointed and although I had no complaints for the hotel I was beyond disappointed to receive such an unsatisfactory service from the spa. I emailed the hotel to highlight these issues and have had no repsonse

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!